Bertorelli, et al, on the Vashon Ranger

1 minute ago, skippydiesel said:

Kasper! - so well articulated  - I "tips me lid" to you. Your Rotax statement , a little over the top (lots of Jab lovers out there) but as a 912 driver I agree.

I had 5 years instructing on Jabs, 912s and two stroke out of The Oaks last century so I am not adverse to Jabs in either engine or airframe ... but when looking at LSAs its a sea of 912's with the occasional 'other'.

Hopefully Zoso will not up sticks and leave the forum but I thought it fair to lay out why his aircraft choice while valid for him is in my opinion an aircraft that almost nobody outside the USA would even look at.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kasper said:

Hopefully Zoso will not up sticks and leave the forum but I thought it fair to lay out why his aircraft choice while valid for him is in my opinion an aircraft that almost nobody outside the USA would even look at.

It was a well argued case, Kasper (and a useful review for the rest of us) but I don't understand why you thought Zoso might have needed persuading as to any of it. He gave no indication he did.  His disappointment had nothing to do with aeroplanes. 

Edited by Garfly
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Garfly said:

It was a well argued case, Kasper (and a useful review for the rest of us) but I don't understand why you thought Zoso might have needed persuading as to any of it. He gave no indication he did.  His disappointment had nothing to do with aeroplanes. 

True! - Nothing personal but if you inhabit one of the "great powers" of the day you will be criticised (hopefully with some objectivity) by those that do not - thus it has always been.

• Like 1

Hmmm, I guess so, and, by the same token, if you happen to inhabit one of the "lesser powers" you'll be held in contempt. Objectivity can only ever be hoped for.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, skippydiesel said:

True! - Nothing personal but if you inhabit one of the "great powers" of the day you will be criticised (hopefully with some objectivity) by those that do not - thus it has always been.

OK - I'll admit it, I am engaging in thread drift ...

But as I have lived, worked and flown ultralights/microlights in Australia, the UK, the EU, the USA and Colombia I have had the joy of seeing local views and perceptions from a variety of perspective and in several languages.  Many similarities on nationalism and national pride exist in all countries about their own systems/aircraft but it is a very clear difference have perceived in terms of the degree of nationalist view from within the USA to the rest of the world when it comes to ultralights/microlights/LSAs.

• Like 1

Again, our (erstwhile) friend Zoso might not even quibble at that, he came aboard utterly sans-swagger:

"My sincere apologies for speaking first and reading later (geez, I'm such a Yank)."

Edited by Garfly
  • Like 1