That's not a canyon turn, THIS is a canyon turn!

Garfly

Yep the camera work and editing is all getting so slick, it's losing it's impact.

I just watched a similar Red Bull thing: lots of short fast clips, often from angles that accentuate the action, and while it ought to be more exciting, it somehow isn't.

Also: at the back of the mind lurks the realisation that it is now so easy to CG or C modify this stuff...it just becomes a big shrug.

Yeah, it's reached the point of diminishing returns.  We've become amazed-out. 

(We've come a long way since folks ducked for cover under their seats at first viewings of the Lumiere film "Train arriving at La Ciotat Station"  (1896)

Edited by Garfly
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Garfly said:

Yeah, it's reached the point of diminishing returns.  We've become amazed-out.  Amazing!

Yep, it's the slippery slope of More Is Better.

Quite aside from questions of legality, and the realisation that as a cheap drunk I might take a trip and never make it back, it was what deterred me from various drugs when various drugs were all the go: the real fear that altered states would render everyday life grey and bland by contrast.

• Like 2

That being said, this digital restoration of that clip can bring us even closer to the shocking everyday humanity of these 19th century shadows.  Heck, the eldest of them would have been alive in the time of Bonaparte and Beethoven. 

Amazing!  ... so maybe not entirely numbed out by the moving image, especially when it comes to the simple things.

Edited by Garfly

Still and all, I'd be real happy if I could nail my short-field, dead-stick touch downs as well as this guy does:

And the filmmaking is pretty much as simple = and about as long - as the Lumiere's railway station.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure it's the music he listens to that helps him with so relaxed an approach.

Edited by Garfly
  • Like 1