What operating system are you running?

Which Operating System do you use?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Which Operating System do you use?

• MacOS
    • Tiger
    • Leopard
    • UNIX\LINUX
    • Win 95\98\SE\ME
    • Win 2K
    • Win XP
    • Vista

I have been a FS nerd From FS98 when the clouds looked like ice blocks. to the current FS. where you have it all but the movement. And i have run FS10 in Vista and XP it runs faster in xp but looks better in Vista

Paul

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Macnoz

Assuming you are a bit of a monty python fan and have studied the history if computing you will enjoy this

Linus Torvalds: Who would have thought, 50 years ago, we'd all be sitting here with 'ard disks small as our thumbnails, eh?

All: Aye, aye.

Michael Dell: Them days we were glad to have a 5-1/4 inch floppy disk drive on us Apple II.

Andy Grove: Right! With bent disks!

Michael Dell: Right!

Linus Torvalds: Without a drive!

Larry Ellison: Or interface!

Michael Dell: In a cracked case and all.

Linus Torvalds: Oh, we never used to have 5-1/4 floppy disks! We used to have to use rolled up 8-inch floppies!

Andy Grove: The best we could manage was to suck on a piece of ferrite.

Larry Ellison: But you know, we were happy in those days, although we had barely any storage.

Michael Dell: Because we had barely any storage!

Larry Ellison: Right!

Michael Dell: My old dad used to say to me: "Memory doesn't bring your files back, son!"

Linus Torvalds: He was right!

Michael Dell: Right!

Linus Torvalds: I was happier then and I had nothing! We used to make do typing 250 lines of machine code in with no storage, so that if we made a typo we had to reboot and start over.

Andy Grove: Machine code! You were lucky. We had to hard wire the boot loader on a diode matrix, and toggle the program in binary on t'switches

Larry Ellison: You were lucky to have a switches! We used to have to save us programs on a tape player connected by a DIN cable!

Michael Dell: Oh, we used to dream of having a DIN cable! Acoustic coupling, that's what we used. Turn up t'volume on the tape player and hope nobody sneezed.

Linus Torvalds: Well, when I say it was a tape lead, it were more a paper tape. With holes in.

Andy Grove: We were banned from making holes in our tape! We had to use punched cards from a deck we kept in an old cornflakes packet.

Larry Ellison: You were lucky to have a cornflakes packet! We had 150 data analysts, all running their programs from a single card cut from the back of a box.

Michael Dell: A cardboard box?

Larry Ellison: Aye!

Michael Dell: You were lucky! We typed in data for three months on ZX81 keyboards. We used to have to go up every morning, at six o'clock and scrub t'ZX81, go to work in Birmingham, 14 hours a day, week in, week out, for six pence a week, and when we got home, our marketing manager would slash us to sleep with his belt!

Andy Grove: Luxury! We used to have to log into an ICL mainframe at three o'clock in the morning, clean the mainframe, eat a handful of hot RS232 leads, work 20 hours a day in FORTRAN, for two pence a month, come home, and the CEO would beat us around the head and neck with a box of fanfold, if we were lucky!

Larry Ellison: Well, of course, we had it tough! We used to have to get up at midnight and lick the printer plattens clean with our tongues! We had to eat half a handful of mains connectors while they were plugged in, work 24 hours a day in JCL for four pence every six years, and when we got home, our CFO would slice us in two with sharpened teletypes.

Linus Torvalds: Right! I had to get up in the morning, at 10 o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, eat a lump of cold poison, work 29 hours a day programming Windows and pay Bill Gates for permission to run his own software, and when we got home, Monkey Boy would kill us and dance about on our graves, singing Developers!

Michael Dell: And you try to tell the young people of today that, and they won't believe you!

All: No, no they won't!

Guest Fred Bear
I can remember the very same thing being said for every Microsoft OS release to date!Replace "Vista" with operating system of choice!

Not bloody wrong mate!

I think this is a good representation of the kind of people who are members of this forum.

However I did expect more linux\mac users. Linux because of the technical nature of some the forum members and mac because the number of mac users out there.

All together a not surprising outcome.

I think this is a good representation of the kind of people who are members of this forum.

What! You think we should be in a Monty Python skit. Shame on you.

Guest airsick
However I did expect more linux\mac users. Linux because of the technical nature of some the forum members and mac because the number of mac users out there.

Perhaps the answer would be different if you asked about more than just the primary PC. I am a technical user and my primary PC runs Vista. I also have machines running XP and administer others running various flavours of Linux but that wasn't your question!

As for the Macs? Well none of us here are dummies so we don't need a PC designed for such people. 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

I have gone from XP Pro over to Vista Ultimate for a few weeks now and whilst I like the prettiness of Vista I don't like the changes made in Windows Explorer - there is no need to have the extra folders of Desktop, App Data, Favourites etc taking up valuable screen real estate - also it doesn't seem to save all folder views to one simple one.

The other thing I don't like is the selecting of files in the file browser - it's all over the place also there seems to be a lot happening behind the scenes automatically like defrag etc that I am going to have to look at working out

Other then that Vista is very refreshing and impressive with animations etc like my wallpaper isn't a static picture any more but actually a movie playing - must download the Millennium Master movie and have that playing as my desktop. I use a fantastic monitor - a Samsung 22" widescreen (the special S Panel one) with a 2ms refresh rate and a contrast of 3,000:1 which gives a magnificent view of Vista's capabilities.

can i vote twice, now as i have a macbook laptop, running Leopard?? can i? please! 010_chuffed.gif.c2575b31dcd1e7cce10574d86ccb2d9d.gif

NO NO NO and just watch it Rob, having one of those may see you ostracised 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif