Problems of buying an ultralight. Help appreciated.

RussN

Hi, I have the opportunity to purchase a great little Quicksilver GT400 but have 2 concerns.

- Hangar rental

- Engine parts.

I live in the Moreton Bay area of SE Qld and cannot find a hangar for rent anywhere. Seems to be a big problem. Can anyone help?

The GT400 has a Rotax 447. I have been told that parts are no longer available, particularly the crank shaft required for the 300 hour rebuild. Also, Rotax tell me they are no longer selling 2 strokes and support even for the later 500 series is becoming difficult. So how are ultralight users getting round these issues? 

Thanks for any assistance or advice you can provide.

Russ:
Here's how I find hangarage.
Figure out where you want to hangar your plane then go to that airfield. Join the aero club there and start to hang around on weekends and start talking to the other people who hang around. Walk around to the hangars where people are working on their planes and talk to them. Attend meetings and talk to people. Get yourself known around the airfield. As you're talking to pilots and others, ask about hangarage, but don't be too pushy about it.
You'll be surprised at how quickly you'll find someone who knows someone …
In my experience, just putting up a notice or asking on forums online etc, (IOW trying to get something by remote contacts) NEVER works.
My plane is currently hangared at Jacobs Well. Anyone will tell you that it's very difficult to get in there because of the proximity to tye GC and Bris. I got hangarage there in about two weeks by doing the above.
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1
  • Winner 1

I had a GT500 with a 582 Rotax which was a factory built and I'm sure the 400 which is the singleseat version can take the 582 as well. as for hangerage  maybe possible at Caboolture but has suggested go to the airfield walk around and talk to people.