Enough to scare the pants off you

red750

I had a similar, although not quite so severe experience flying into Sydney in a torrential downpour back in 1984. It was a TAA aircraft, cannot remember type, but possibly a DC9. The people across the aisle had to stuff serviettes into the widow frame to stop water dripping on them.

• Informative 1

I think you need a coffee or something stronger 😃

Not everyone who gets in an aircraft has any idea of the engineering features.

The pressure created on this occasion is an internal one of the passengers thinking that there life may be coming to an end.

The lady replacing the window which I referred to has done an extremely good job in remaining calm.

happy days 

• Like 2

The water is called “cabin rain” and it’s common. The fresh, pressurized cabin air is cooled below its dew point. There are filter/coalescor units in the “roof” to strain out the resulting fog, sometimes the drains get blocked and….water comes out through the air vents - cabin rain.

Edited by walrus
  • Informative 1

I'd be interested to know the source of that information walrus. When one gets endorsed on a pressurised type a thorough knowledge of the structure and operation of the pressurisation and airconditioning system is part of each course and I have no recollection of such  equipment as you state.  The cabin and cockpit air is all controlled by  the pilots. Setting it too cold can cause fog to come out of the overhead air vents but that's RARE. The cabin air is bled off the Compressor stage of the engine(s) and cooled in an aircycle machine called a "Bootstrap" cycle method. Air at altitude is drier than the desert and sometimes has to have moisture added or pax might be excessively dehydrated and be more prone to blood clotting. Nev

It happens on the ground in high humidity air - when it’s cooled you get fog. Not sure what the latest filter is. They used to be nylon fabric bags in any case the drains get blocked with crud and water enters the ducting. It generally happens on takeoff.

it doesn’t happen at altitude for the reasons you mentioned.

P.S. Cabin rain generally happens on rotation. Last experienced by me in an A350 or B787 out of Ho Chi Minh (SGN) as a passenger last month.

‘Source: 6 years of analyzing reported defects in b727, 737, 767. - it still happens: “miss, there is water dripping on my head”.

‘’Solution: towels and free champagne followed by unplugging drain mast during nightly maintenance.

The incident in #4 occurred on descent into Sydney on a flight from Melbourne. Torrential rain in Sydney. The bus on the way into the city was up to the step in water.

Yes there's reference to a lot of pictures and info there but usually the problem is incorrect operation or servicing. Rain cannot enter an aircraft that is pressurised. It is possible to set the Controls wrong and become unpressurised and still be in the air if the QNH and aerodrome height are not set correctly for the destination.. Nev

Yes, sorry I didn’t make myself clear, it is a maintenance problem that happens in humid air on the ground and makes itself known in my experience on rotation at takeoff.

It happens because the filter/coalesced is dirty or torn or the drain is plugged. The picture, description  and diagram show an old B737 unit - note the filter indicator on the unit. It indicates when the unit should be serviced..

‘’The video shows an extreme case of cabin rain. It’s common under tropical conditions. We had it last month out of SGN.