Time for some nostalgia - the Boeing 707

I just found this great historical colour photo of a Qantas B-707 on the tarmac at Perth in the early 1960's. It's a bit of a shame the registration isn't visible, but I think this may be Qantas' fifth B-707, named "The City of Perth".

The red tail is not the original livery, when the aircraft was delivered in 1959, the livery was largely white, with a red stripe through the tail. The change to the red tail with the white, winged kangaroo, came in around early 1963 I believe.

However, no site anywhere - not even Qantas - has a record of the change to this early 1960's Qantas red tail and logo.

The photo is undated, but I cannot see any cars in the photo that are older than the late 1950's.

VH-EBE - https://aussieairliners.org/b-707q/vh-ebe/vhebe.html

PERTH-AIRPORT.JPG

• Like 1

Here's one with the same livery from October 1962

17 Oct 1962 - SARA QUADS THRILLED BY BIG JETS - Trove (nla.gov.au)

And from March 1962

16 Mar 1962 - Advertising - Trove (nla.gov.au)

And September 1961

18 Sep 1961 - Advertising - Trove (nla.gov.au)

But the old design in April 1961

26 Apr 1961 - Advertising - Trove (nla.gov.au)

And this guy has the year right but doesn't give the exact date of the change

» A detailed visual history of the Qantas livery (norebbo.com)

Edited by pmccarthy
  • Informative 1

OME, another section of the low Cyclone chain-link fence, as seen in the foreground, does extend across the middle of the photo and defines the public area from the airside area. The people in the centre are either leaning on it or held back by it.

I guess no-one noticed the terrifying lack of any hi-vis clothing, or the total absence of a myriad of flashing orange caution lights?

• 2 months later...
On 29/12/2022 at 9:06 PM, onetrack said:

I just found this great historical colour photo of a Qantas B-707 on the tarmac at Perth in the early 1960's. It's a bit of a shame the registration isn't visible, but I think this may be Qantas' fifth B-707, named "The City of Perth".

The red tail is not the original livery, when the aircraft was delivered in 1959, the livery was largely white, with a red stripe through the tail. The change to the red tail with the white, winged kangaroo, came in around early 1963 I believe.

However, no site anywhere - not even Qantas - has a record of the change to this early 1960's Qantas red tail and logo.

The photo is undated, but I cannot see any cars in the photo that are older than the late 1950's.

VH-EBE - https://aussieairliners.org/b-707q/vh-ebe/vhebe.html

PERTH-AIRPORT.JPG

Old-fashioned cars next to a sleek jet; it’s striking how far ahead of road vehicles aircraft have been. No wonder so many little kids got hooked on planes. There are plenty of pictures from WWII of sleek fighter planes being serviced by T-model era trucks.

• Like 1