What oil do you use?(Brand)

Guest grantisaac

Guest brentc

What engine are you running Yenn? Would have thought you should be using W100+ ? W100+ is 'kind-of' the replacement for 15w/50 however Shell continued to keep producting the 15w/50 after they originally said that they were dropping it. Jabiru told me 15w/50 all the way, however in hot weather it seems a bit thin for my engine and can blow-out the overflow more frequently.

Aeroshell 15w50 summer and winter including during engine run in. My brothers 2200 has just completed 1075hours and is just starting to use a bit of oil. My 3300 is on 250lhours and going strong.

Cheers Helmut

Guest Macnoz

Shell Multigrade which apparently has better heat dissiaption is what the boys at Jabiru told me last week on completion of my heart transplant there

brentc. I am using what Jabiru recommended, but I believe it is off the market now. I still have enough for a couple of oil changes.

With a hot engine on the ground after landing the pressure drops pretty low at idle rpm, but always looks OK in the air.

I have no need for heat dissipation as I always run cool. Will have to check the book of words again.

Guest brentc

Sorry to Hijack the thread, however it should be noted that run-in oil is different to the normal oil and AeroShell 100 is the appropriate oil. W100 can be used for normal operations, but W100+ is the better one (newer), or 15w/50 for winter or in some cases all year round.

Have been using Shell, but am changing to Mobil's Elite 20W50 for winter because you can't buy the Shell multigrade anywhere around here.

(Does anyone else have trouble sourcing the stuff?)

No problem around here.

Both the 15W50 and W100PLUS from the Shell man at YCAB.

The run in oil is around but its hard to get in only 4 L as its sold by the carton.

Jabiru sell it and they are not all that expensive either!

J

Guest clemair

After my run in period I went to EXXON EE100 SAE50 which is ashless dispersant. Readily available and runs cool and pressure is good at all power settings. Anyone else use it, if so any issues? This will be my first full winter since the run in oil, but being on the coast should not be too much of an issue.

Danny :thumb_up:

I use 15w50 winter and w100+ for summer, last time i spoke with Don from Jabiru he said 15w50 would be a good all year round oil for Jab engines with hydraulic lifters. Next summer i will properly will continue with 15w50.

• Agree 1

Guest brentc

This was taken today from the bonnet of a brand new J170.

It's quite clear that 15w/50 is the only oil to use.

oil.jpg.7b2f935c83a2044b7167384978e90cbd.jpg

Clear???

You've got 2 contradictory statements. One refers to the engine oil. perhaps the other refers to the hinge of the access panel? (just kidding, but you would think that there would be one only instruction). Nev..

Hey Captain!

Come and see me. I stock cartons of Shell W15W50 and W100 Plus at YSWG.

I have nil supply problem and can confirm that 100, W100, W100 plus and W15W50 are all current products.

Cheers

Nong

Hey Captain!Come and see me. I stock cartons of Shell W15W50 and W100 Plus at YSWG.

I have nil supply problem and can confirm that 100, W100, W100 plus and W15W50 are all current products.

Cheers

Nong

Thanks Fred. Will have a chat, but in the meantime have just received some 15W50 from Jabiru. Regards Geoff

• 1 month later...

I've been in discussion with Shell about the use of their single vs multigrade in a J3300 engine in our summer ambients of say 20 - 40 C.

They are clear in their recommendation of 15W-50 for both our winter and summer and I post their reply below for the benefit of forum members. If you have any questions I suggest that you give Murray a call or post any further observations here:

Quote:

Hi Geoff,

Yes the Aeroshell W15W50 is perfect for your Jab in both cold and hot climates. That is the beauty of the multi-grade. The 50 part of the name says that it meets the SAE 50 viscosity requirements at 100 degrees C. In aviation naming we refer to an SAE 50 oil as 100, such as in Aeroshell 100. This oil is actually SAE 50 oil. What that of course means is that at 100 degrees, the W15W50 and the 100 and W100 have the same viscosity. The extra benefits of the W15W50 is that it is around 50% synthetic base oil and is therefore much better able to withstand high temperatures without suffering from oil oxidation, which is a chemical process that ruins the lubricant. The W15W50 also contains anti-wear, anti-corrosion and other good additives that help with the life of your engine.

If you need any more information, please contact me.

Regards,

Murray Wilkes

Aeroshell Technical Support and Sales Manager Oceania.

0427 092 407

Unquote

Regards Geoff

Thanks for the info Geoff.

Hey Nong - Wagga is one of the many places I'm thinking about going to on Sunday.

If you'll be there with 4 litres of 15W50, I'll be there with some cash and a smile.

Here's one to keep you going.

:big_grin:

What say you?

Plannin' on being there Slarti. Hangar 303 is the Westernmost hangar on the drome. Sign on airside door says waggabiketyres.com Taxy past REX maintenance and BP then veer to port about 45 degrees.

In any case, a call on 0407 252505 will see me there pronto!