Twin/Double Coolant Radiators

skippydiesel

Looking good skip. that would be my approach. you still get some cylinder cooling this way. 
Who made your radiators- I was looking to do that on the Jabiru but cost of two custom radiators was quite high. 
what is the cylinder at the bottom ? oil -water heat exchanger  ? or cabin heater ?
the formula for inches of water pressure can be simplified to (airspeed knots  * airspeed knots) / 1600

Have contacted no less than x 8 Australian custom radiator builder/makers - so far, one flat refusal (they asked straight up was it an aircraft application ? and sighted insurance concerns), one regretful refusal (doesn't deal in such small systems) with a referral - living in hope.

"what is the cylinder at the bottom ? oil -water heat exchanger  ? or cabin heater ?" - oil filter 😁

Edited by skippydiesel

tell them hovercraft.

I've found the  Ninja 250 radiator is a good size for a 'tax, has conveniently located pipes  - a good one (19mm). you want 25mm for the 'tax I presume. $100 at various local sellers.

If you are pressed for frontal area, consider a triple core. You'll have plenty of pressure to drive it. 

• Like 1

Problemo! -

The few installations I have seen with the double/forward coolant radiators, have been aftermarket fuel injected 912 variants - mechanical fuel pump is redundant/deleted.

I will not be removing my fuel pump any time soon - this pretty much makes what I saw as being quite a straightforward installation way more complicated on the right side of the gearbox. - Such is life & homebuilt aircraft!

• Informative 1

The cooling system sounds like it just needs a little more capacity if you have been able to climb to 6500. Could you duct cool air to the radiator in it's current location? Electric fans as required? 

6 hours ago, Thruster88 said:

The cooling system sounds like it just needs a little more capacity if you have been able to climb to 6500. Could you duct cool air to the radiator in it's current location? Electric fans as required? 

Got one - it helps a little when on ground.  I don't like the added complexity/weight of a little fan, when I have a bigger one out front, that should be sufficient , if the cooling system is well designed.

• Agree 1