Import duty tax on plane parts.

Hi everyone,  I'm just looking for a bit of advice after receiving plane parts (600kg upgrade kit) for a Skyranger Nynja. The kit was sent from England and on arrival into the country, I received a bill for Import Duty tax of $759.90.  I paid not knowing any better and was told afterwards that you don't have to pay import tax on plane parts... 

So if that’s the case does anyone know how to go about getting a refund and what's need to show ?

This is the kit picture.

Cheers Guy.

received_6384848294884055.jpeg

Geez, The wooden wing spars look a bit rough.

But seriously, contact Customs and ask them. The contents of the box might have been labelled incorrectly and so attracted import duty.

• Like 1

Contact Customs, but generally once they apply their fees and charges they like to keep them and have a stock of reasons readily available to present upon request.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Many years ago I was asked to pay import duty on a box of parts (mostly AN bolts) from Aircraft Spruce clearly labeled ‘Aircraft parts’.  I was initially told that because they were ‘bolts’, duty applied. After a bit of a whinge from me, ‘ the parcel is marked ‘Aircraft parts’ and that’s what they are so the duty is zero’ etc, including asking how I could formally have the decision reviewed, the duty ‘charge’ magically disappeared.  I think the big part of the problem was that the courier was DHL and it was their ‘try on’ rather than customs as it was then.

But to the present I thought that import duty has for the most part been abolished (except luxury cars etc) and in its place you pay GST, plus the shonky non-tax tax of Home Affairs (Customs) charging you a handling fee plus a fee for paying the GST (or something like that).  So if you paid AUD$5,000 for that box including shipping, that would mean $500 GST plus the handling fee and fee for paying the GST, so $750 would be about right.???

• Like 1

Like the Income Tax laws, Customs Duties are a complex matter. While we here do our best to provide helpful responses, the quickest and most reliable place to go is to Customs themselves. I note that you have four years to lodge an application for refund, so you won't have to rush things.

• Like 1

Yep, there shouldn't be any duty payable on aircraft parts if they're clearly labelled as such. GST on price + shipping, yes, but not duty. Sure it wasn't GST you paid?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, onetrack said:

It appears all the advice Guy S needs is on the page below ....

https://www.abf.gov.au/importing-exporting-and-manufacturing/importing/refund-of-customs-duty

Many thanks one-track and the link is what I needed and found the required refund form to fill out.. I had a look yesterday on the Customs website and I had trouble finding what I needed, I've never been good navigating around some government websites and at times can do my head it 😊

I also found out I need to email Flylight for a written Parts Manufacturer authority licence number and adding that to the receipt which shows the itemising parts list so should be enough to get blood out of stone maybe.

Cheers Guy.

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

6 hours ago, KRviator said:

Yep, there shouldn't be any duty payable on aircraft parts if they're clearly labelled as such. GST on price + shipping, yes, but not duty. Sure it wasn't GST you paid?

I'm guessing it wasn't clearly label or a case of unlucky and if I can't get the Import Duty tax back I won't lose any sleep over it but it's worth a shot.

• Like 2

I've found it's pretty important to utilise a local Customs and Forwarding agent when importing anything of substantial value. They know the "ropes", and their way around the import system, and usually their fees are well worth it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, onetrack said:

I've found it's pretty important to utilise a local Customs and Forwarding agent when importing anything of substantial value. They know the "ropes", and their way around the import system, and usually their fees are well worth it.

Thanks again and I can't see myself importing anything in the near future but you never know I guess.

Apart from a few small items sent from Spruce USA this is the first biggish item I've ever imported except for the 2 Eprops but that was done through Mark.

Hi Mike and there was something similar on the box but I'm pretty sure it didn't have aircraft parts on the docket but just my address and Flylight address. But I can't be certain and I may have missed seeing that part and I can't check, thinking I didn't need that docket I burnt it with the box. Buggar.

On seconds thoughts I may have kept the docket and it on the bench at the hanger.I remember looking at it debating whether to keep it or not... I'll have a look tomorrow and let u know either way. 

Edited by Guy s
  • Informative 1

2 minutes ago, Guy s said:

Hi Mike and there was something similar on the box but I'm pretty sure it didn't have aircraft parts on the docket but just my address and Flylight address. But I can't be certain and I may have missed seeing that part and I can't check, thinking I didn't need that docket I burnt it with the box. Buggar.

Flylight may have a duplicate copy of the docket, if you may need it for requesting a refund drop them an email.  Always very helpful over there.  Cheers and good luck.

• Informative 1