"Flight Plan" a 1950 documentary on Oz Aviation. (Recently uploaded by NFSA)

Hey OME, Tooraweenah and Butler get a gig in this one. 

(I wonder if Aussie airline pilots still mutter "Stone the flamin' crows!" when delayed at the holding point? LOL )

Edited by Garfly
  • Like 3
  • Winner 1

Great piece of archival film footage, Garfly! I love the plummy "finest British school" accent, the narrators of the era always had!

1. I reckon I could see cubic dollars in burnt fuel, pouring out the exhausts of that Connie! 

2. Geez, it makes me cringe when I see that bloke lifting and dumping big bags of DDT powder into the hopper of that DH-82A!

It's even sadder to learn that that Moth (VH-AKF) crashed near Nambrok, Vic on 06/01/1950, and the pilot Geoff Tamblyn was killed.

• Informative 2

This is another oddity from the airline archive.   Alistair Cooke, of all people, is our presenter for this TV film about the latest in air safety procedures.

The  'talk 'em down the glideslope' ILS procedure at Idlewild is interesting to see.

And another film from the same time and place ... but quite a different style.

Edited by Garfly
  • Informative 1

The days of nice wide comfortable aircraft seats! - edible airline food served with a smile! - and an engineer monitoring the engines, with the pilot giving him instructions!

Edited by onetrack

Some are delivered in Banality and fact minimisation. . A"Hot 38 degrees ?" Could hardly be a cold 38 degrees . Almost NEVER give the wind direction ot frontal times where changes happen. Often NOT Accurate either.   Nev

• Like 1