This MRRAP process.

GolfWhiskeyHotel

In the middle of our MARAP application, 5 months in,  just about 20 hours on the beast. Flies like a Jabiru 160 with a bit more power. Cowling mods finished , Got the water and oil temps up  to a reasonable level,  Blanking off the top cowl openings seem to have given us about 5 knots, But that may be wishful thinking I cant really see where that could have come from ( better engine temps maybe) . Someone asked me why I hadn't just changed to E24 Reg. I couldnt give an exact answer, so looked it up in the technical manual online. Now I am more confused than ever.  The Jab 160c  is a certified aircraft. Needs Marap for modifications. OK , Doesn't actually say that But OK.  .  However Page 6.1 section 8 through 9 goes on to explain the process to having it E-LSA registered.  Does anyone actually KNOW , according to the Tech manual , Why, when I  have no intention or requirement to teach in the aircraft, have to go through this complex process.   It's difficult to understand and I fear that I have bitten off more than I can chew.  I'm close to walking away from it and the RAA.. Just too difficult to deal with... Cheers, G

cowling mods.jpg

Does your aircraft have a CASA Special Certificate of Airworthiness?

Is it an certificated (not "certified") as an LSA (Light Sport Aircraft)?

Is it type certified? (with a CASA issued type certificate?)

Thankyou for your reply.

As far as I can make out it IS type certified. with a special certificate of Airworthiness.    However later down the pages I see  ( note 1) a paragraph (which I attach.)  declares that it pertains to serial numbers 29 thru 254.  Mine is number 006. Could that be a straw? 

marap 1.jpg

marap.jpg

Yes - that is a Type certificate, for PRIMARY category. (aircraft of simple design intended for pleasure and personal use)

Note 1 of page 5 of type cert VA515 says serial numbers (airframe serial numbers) include production and kit built. Kit built, by CASR, is not the same as amateur-built, from a kit.

VA515 says: "Only aircraft serial numbers manufactured in accordance with the production basis described in this data sheet are eligible for certification under this type certificate."

006 is not listed, so I would say confidently, that type certificate has nothing to do with 006.

Jabiru does have very good records - maybe you could ask them what was the certification basis of 006? I suspect that 006 was not Type Certified at all, just "type accepted" or whatever it was/is called for other factory builts under CAO 95.55. And probably that's what has lead to the MARAP process to make significant changes.

That's about the end of what I can throw on the pile.

• Informative 1