Landed, after brief touch&go

3rd harmonic

G'day, circled for a long time on these pages.

Then got round to creating an account, couldn't resist commenting on something audio related (as my professional area of expertise).

But thought i should do a legitimate post. 

I've done most of my flying at YADG (Aldinga) with Adelaide biplanes, in the Sporty's, Cubcrafters cub and Aeronca Champ (both tailwheel)

Very much enjoy the tail wheel flying as it has helped improved my skills considerably...

Although did my first bit of flying at Camden in Sydney through Cadets in the early 90's in a Tomahawk.

For family reasons (kids), flying has been on/off again for the last 6-7 years, actually most off rather then on - sigh!

Anyway, against what might be considered sensible i brought the written-off wreck of a Morgan Sierra 19-5645.

It was previously built and owned by someone else on this page and i brought it off a 3rd party in Melbourne after it had been sitting in a storage unit for a while.

The intention has been to restore it to flying condition, with some improvements along the way.

But for the same reason (Kids - i mean they are wonderful, but why would you??), plus house reno's, full time work ect the project has been inching forward at a pace that might be considered less than glacial.

Still i have been getting somewhere and i do appreciate there is considerable collective knowledge/wisdom from the members who frequent these pages - including the resident know-it-all (i mean that in the nicest possible way) Nev

People sometime refer to me as a know-it-all, so it takes one to know one.

The jokes and banter is good value too!!

I did meet Ray T, who is at Camden coincidentally who was really good talk to, I might post something up in the Morgan section in due course...

Cheers

Andrew

• Like 9
  • Winner 1

Correct - the Morgan's do have a reputation for nose wheel collapses that is unfortunately deserved. Mine is no exception and suffered a N/W collapse, prop destroyed, bottom firewall damage ect. But the consensus is that a variety of factors that have contributed the disproportionate number of failures, not just the strength of the N/W leg - the position of the main gear, the sight picture when flaring, also weight and balance with the fuel tank up the front ect

However the worst thing (by far) is the jokes that stem from the one that crashed in to the Ferris wheel...

As laughable as it may be, the people survived and apparently Ray T reckons it was repaired not too long afterwards

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Yeah, i had to do a quick search to look at what a Sadler Vampire even was and it is an interesting looking machine...

The Rutan Long-EZ is another aircraft in that vein that springs to mind -  the retractable nose wheel arrangement on those looks like it could collapse at any given moment and they have to park the A/C with it retracted, but somehow they make it work!?

Still only a problem if there actually a nose wheel in the first place 😉...

Edited by 3rd harmonic

• 5 weeks later...