4.11.23 Cloncurry light plane crash

The aircraft was doing fire-mapping. Now, I'm not privy to what equipment they had on board, but obviously it was imaging equipment of some kind. When you're aerial mapping, many a time there's a requirement for variations in the mapping level, mapping speed, and direction, according to the level of detail required, the vegetation types, burnt VS unburnt areas, etc, etc.

All these requirements often demand unusual flight profiles, as compared from the regular aviating style, of just getting from point A to point B in quick smart time.

So, accordingly, I wouldn't read too much into the substantial variations in altitude and speed at this point in time - and certainly not until we get some information about how scattered the wreckage is.

https://www.bushfirefacts.org/fire-maps.html

• Like 1

By the way, an autopilot can CAUSE a stall in many modes, S&L being one If power is reduced or drag increases, Air speed is a safe Mode. And I know of no autopilot I would trust to recover from an upset. Emergency descents in a Jet can achieve 10,000 FPM rate of descent but I doubt this plane could get anywhere near that.. Is there any record of the radio transmissions and what sort of clearance was applicable to that Airwork?  Nev

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

ABC News & ATSB report

WWW.ABC.NET.AU

A preliminary report suggests hypoxia could be the reason three aerial firefighting crew members, including 22-year-old William Jennings...

https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2024/report/ao-2023-053

• Like 1

On 7/11/2023 at 6:43 PM, RFguy said:

no transmission reported.

They were high, has hypoxia been ruled out ?

There were radio transmissions, it's been mentioned on prune control questioned the pilot about pressurisation. The pilot referred to oxygen rather than pressurisation, he was a very experienced ex military pilot used to pressurisation, it was thought an unusual comment. 

Fair chance it is Hyperbaric Hypoxia related  The garbled speech for one and why were they on oxygen? The first descent WHY? AT 280 you'd need constant oxygen if the pressurisation has failed. I wouldn't call it OPS NORMAL.  Nev

• Like 2
  • Agree 1