South African Microlight licence (certificate?) vs Austraslian recreational licence

Hi My son is in SA and is wanting to learn to fly. It seems his two options (in the area where he lives - Cape Town) are a PPL or a Microlite licence/cert (don't know the exact name).

Is there anyone with some experience with this?  Where can I (or he) find info regarding pilot licences in SA other than a full PPL.

Regards,

Duncan

When in Rome, do as the Romans do. The signed (certified) log book will be your main document when you go somewhere else. Air Legislation is peculiar to each country you fly in and a lot of other things are competency based. Just my view.  Nev

It has to be ICAO compliant. You can't just assume it is. A lot depends on how long you want to stay there and what type of flying grabs you and can be afforded.  Nev

Oops - It seems I was less than clear.  I ive in Aus, but my son resides in SA.  He is wanting to learn to fly and has been offered a PPL or a Microlight licence path.  I know nothing about Microlite licences in SA, and I was hoping someone would have the necessary experience to say something like: "Th SA Microlite licence is roughly equivalent to a Recreational licence in Aus."  Or something along those lines.