Dragonfly designer accident

Bobby bailey. Designer of the dragonfly hang glider tug killed in one of his own aircraft.

A bolt was left out of one of the struts and it folded up the wings in flight. It still amazes me how so many highly experienced people get into trouble flying.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, FlyBoy1960 said:

I thought it was Bill Moyes who designed the Dragonfly?

Partners. ?

Edited by BrendAn

I was flying out at the Forbes flat land competition in the 90s Aero towing using an airborne trike. I remember one of these passing me on the descent.  He had been up to about 12,000 feet doing temperature traces so they can work out the atmosphere for the days adventure. He would descend past me at over 3000 ft/m almost heading vertically. An amazing aircraft, simplicity but so very well made and perfect for the purpose they were designed for. Certainly not a cross-country machine!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BrendAn said:

Bobby bailey. Designer of the dragonfly hang glider tug killed in one of his own aircraft.

A bolt was left out of one of the struts and it folded up the wings in flight. It still amazes me how so many highly experienced people get into trouble flying.

They are saying he was doing the first flight of a new build that was brought to where he is for the flight.  They say he would not have been able to see the bolt mis-assembly.  Not said whether he assisted in the assembly before the flight.  I'd expect he would have done a through preflight / initial flight inspection.  Very sad when anyone dies flying and more so when such an identity.

• Informative 1

WWW.DAILYCOMMERCIAL.COM

An unregistered experimental aircraft crashed at the Groveland airport at 1:30 p.m. April 19, killing the pilot, according to the FAA.

Bobby Bailey's own Dragonfly in this video appears to have a ballistic parachute installed.

Presumably the new build that got him hadn't yet.

Edited by Garfly
  • Like 2

I had Bob and Bill launch me in my Carbon Dragon sailplane several times using the Dragonfly as a tow plane…. At Rhylstone & Forbes in the early 1990s.  It was flying the Dragonfly after a day soaring that tweaked my interest in aircraft with iron thermals.  Bob could definitely put that Dragonfly through its paces. I saw him once takeoff from inside a hanger, airborne in less than 20m, then chuck a 90 degree turn (to avoid crashing into the hanger the other side of the taxiway) to fly along the taxiway.

• Like 2