Lucky escape

These pictures are of an RNZAF Airtrainer aircraft that was in a line astern formation landing at the Wanaka Airshow over Eater 2008.

This guy was apparently number 3 of 4 when he got caught in wake turbulence from the two aircraft ahead of him.

I'd say he had an extremely lucky escape.

IMG_0195-6401.jpg.a92632cb5cb15aed99455f3a44d20943.jpg

IMG_0196-6402.jpg.b3e022320cbd44e6916b529c3a0f80bb.jpg

IMG_0197-6403.jpg.5fdfdbee5b1b7780eece393468dca2d4.jpg

IMG_0198-6404.jpg.9d6cc032e894c1f3b184fe2bd4156019.jpg

IMG_0201-6405.jpg.f8b19b4846e7afdb6f662af1f347037b.jpg

Must have been near nil wind - pretty unusual for Wanaka! It's a very nasty feeling because everything is just soooo smooth without the wind......then, around you goooooooo!!

cheers,

i would say that was a real pucker factor moment. it would of been interesting to see how much rudder he was useing to get it back under control.Paul

Have a look at the nosewheel. That will give you an idea about the rudder deflection in use.

Bruce

Guest brentc

Interesting that he has right rudder happening! Would have thought from the angles that it might have been left.

Guest Flyer40

Left rudder would have caused crossed controls, not the ideal configuration on the back side of the power curve.

Wow - you say it was line astern landing - close formation ? He was very lucky. I have been caught in wake turbulence in form landings and its not nice.

Guest Flyer40

I recall a flying journo (can't remember which one) listing the Victa and the Europa as the two best aircraft he had flown in terms of handling. I really should try one.

That sounds like a hint Flyer!

It's true though! The only problem is that once you've flown one, everything else seems mushy and wallowy (did I just invent that word?)

The 115hp ones probably handle the sweetest (although they are a bit underpowered compared with the 150s & above).

All I can say is that he'd be glad he was flying the 300HP version of the CT4 (he's flying the E model) - the extra 90HP over my CT4A model would have made a significant difference in successfully recovering from this situation. Luck didn't have much to do with the positive outcome - a very responsive aircraft (as Maz has said) with a good power to weight ratio and a very skilled pilot (check out some of the Red Checkers videos on You Tube, these guys know how to handle a CT4!).