Airspeed Switch. Where to get one

Hi,

Can anyone help me to find a source for an Airspeed Switch to use in conjunction with an hourmeter to enable the recording of actual flying time.

The switch connects to the pitot pressure and closes at (I believe) about 27mph IAS.

Do most ultralights have this sort of thing installed, and if not why not?

Phil

isnt actual flying time based on the Tacho time? the time the engine is turning? the hour meter in the Vampire is linked to ignition. only counts time when engine ignition is on. not the master switch.

The pressure switch for fill cutoff on washing machines should do. No I dont use one, have a hourmeter connected to oil pressure switch. Technically this is not correct for engine hours, as a proper tacho records revolutions and displays the result as hours based on 75% power rpm, which is a better representation of engine wear. Just thought you'd like to know. Most people put in the logbook the figure they want (a) to boast about (b) pay for overhauls on.

Ralph

The washing machine pressure switch is a good idea. I even have some! They appear adjustable as well.

I want to use the hour meter to record air frame hours. I have a unit similar to a "Tiny Tach" which records engine running hours as part of its functions. The engine is a Rotax 447 so no oil pressure.

Phil

Tacho time is generally used for engine hours and is usualy set up to give an accurate hour at cruise rpm and much less at idle there for not giving an accruate total for your log book.

Airswitch is used for flight time ie airframe maintinance

VDO sometimes connected to an oil pressure switch or sometimes straight to the master switch is generally used for log book hours as it recourds time from start up or close to until shutdown.

These are all depended on who owns the aircraft/ who maintains it/ who operates it and how they want it all recourded.

Flying schools will generally charge on VDO as it makes them the most money! If you can find a school that charges airswitch even if there hourly rate is hirer it may work out cheaper depending on taxi time.

Adam.

djpacro, I would have thought it would be better to support our sponsor Clear Prop who pays to keep this site available to you 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

If you narrow it down to a specific one you want newairly, Clear Prop should be able to source it for you - if you want that is.

This is what I understand about flying times.

Flying time is counted from the time you start the engine with the intention of flying to shutdown. That is what should be in your logbook.

If you start the engine to do a ground run or taxi from place to place on the strip, it is not flying time. If you start with the intention of flying and during run up at the holding point you find the aircraft is not fit to fly and return to the start point, that is flying time.

Engine time is counted from the time you start to when you stop, so usually ends up greater than flying time.

Flying time is the same as airframe time, unless of course you log lots of time with the engine shut down in flight or get pedantic if you get an engine failure.

I don't think that is quite right, Yenn. My recollection is that flight time starts when the aircraft first moves under its own power and if you don't get to fly at all then there is nil flight time.

Guest High Plains Drifter

If you are a new CPL trainee your flight time tends to start the millisecond your finger touchs the starter, and finnishs the moment the prop stops rotating - rounded up to the nearest decimal ten of an hour 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif :rotary:

Guest aircraft1

Where is the pressure switch in clear prop ? I looked but cant see one like at Aircraft Spruce ?

aircraft1 - There isn't one explicitly listed but if you need one just PM me the one you want and I will see if I can get it here in Aussie or from Wicks.

Clear Prop has access to over 10,000 items and it would take me a month of Sundays to put everything in.

Here is one from Wicks (Note Clear Prop is the Australian Wicks Agent) - http://www.wicksaircraft.com/catalog/product_detail.php/pid=5318~subid=3467/index.html

Here are all the ones from an Aussie Supplier:

http://www.edmoap.com.au/index.php?module=products&func=search

Guest aircraft1

Sorry i thought you were saying there was one on the clear prop site and i couldnt find it.

I don't think that is quite right, Yenn. My recollection is that flight time starts when the aircraft first moves under its own power and if you don't get to fly at all then there is nil flight time.

From the horses mouth (CASA) :

Flight Time means, in the case of a heavier-than-air aircraft, the total time from when the aircraft first moves under its own power for the purpose of taking-off until the moment at which it comes to rest after landing. This is synonymous with 'chock to chock', 'block to block' or 'push back to block' time.

The logging of "flight" hours should include all time you are in command of the aircraft under power - whether taxiing or in flight.

Again from the horses mouth

FAR Part 1, Section 1.1, Definitions, defines "time in service," with respect to maintenance time records, as that time from the moment an aircraft leaves the surface of the earth until it touches it at the next point of landing.

That seems pretty definite.

Could make some difference to mandatory maintenance costs for fixed hour items.

Phil