Narrandera yesterday?

Narrandera June 8th.

The local news says that a light aircraft got bent at Narrandera yesterday, but the pilot walked away.

Given the media accuracy out here, that probably means that a light pole got bent at Balranald, but does anyone know anything as there are some good blokes and forum members that operate over at YNAR.

Edit - Latest news this morning says it was a Saphire and the issue was X-wind.

The local news says that a light aircraft got bent at Narrandera yesterday, but the pilot walked away. 

Given the media accuracy out here, that probably means that a light pole got bent at Balranald,

006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif 006_laugh.gif.d4257c62d3c07cda468378b239946970.gif 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Scanned image & story

Wagga Daily Advertiser 9/6/2008

[ATTACH]5868.vB[/ATTACH]

A COMBINATION of strong winds and inexperience is believed to be the cause of a light aircraft crash at Narrandera airport yesterday in which the pilot miraculously walked away unhurt.

About 10:30am, the pilot attempted to land the single seat Sapphire when he realised he had it directed towards the wrong runway. He managed to change course but as he went in to land, the aircraft was caught by a strong crosswind, causing it to flip on to its roof.

While he walked away unhurt, he has had to cancel his trip from Victoria to Queensland, with the $10,000 aircraft now written off.

Flight instructor Wally Rudin from Airwings Recreational Flying School was one of the first people at the scene after the crash.

"I didn’t see it happen, but I saw it afterwards," he said. "It was just a silly accident.†“He was stopping in Narrandera to refuel on his way to Queensland.

"There was a lot of wind around and for a little aircraft like this, it was just too much.†Mr Rudin said.

Wind speeds of 20km/h were record at Narrandera airport by the weather bureau at 9am yesterday.

Mr Rudin, who will prepare a report on the crash, said the pilot, Orec Thomas, had less than 70 hours flying experience.

YNARprang1.jpg.fed76da0c516aebbbef2e1731bc4ee11.jpg

Guest Roger

Got called out to the accident...as I do

It appears and after talking to Wally he has chose to land on the crosswind (14) which is the main at YNAR. Not sure why this was the case as when I attended, 15 mins later, I estimate the wind to be pretty much from the N at a steady 15kts - far too much I suspect for the Sapphire.

I am not sure that this is the place to be saying much more as I don't know if there will be any further come of it however the good thing in all of this was that no one got hurt...

The report by the Wagga paper appears to be pretty much on the money

i was there when it happened, didnt see it, but helped out with first aid, it was a textbook crash, he literally walked away with a small scratch on his leg. all day yesterday, when it happened, and all day today the wind has been a steady 15 to 20kt wind from the north. though yesterday it was a bit more gusty around 15 kts. but as said before,he walked away uninjured, and thats the important part.

• 4 weeks later...
i was there when it happened, didnt see it, but helped out with first aid, it was a textbook crash, he literally walked away with a small scratch on his leg. all day yesterday, when it happened, and all day today the wind has been a steady 15 to 20kt wind from the north. though yesterday it was a bit more gusty around 15 kts. but as said before,he walked away uninjured, and thats the important part.

Was the Sapphire pilot wearing a helmet, and would a 15kt< headwind landing would be acceptable for a Sapphire, as i believe you've flown one and what is its x wind capability[i will go and check sapphire site]. I guess all landings in small aircraftin winds 15-20>kts difficult .

Good to hear he escaped injury, seat belts save life.

Trevor.

Hey Capt'n, at least the media would have gotten it right this time in that a, light, pole got bent 114_ban_me_please.gif.0d7635a5d304fa7bdaef6367a02d1a75.gif

Glad to hear the pilot wasn't badly hurt, well his pride might be.

Guest Avion

Hi guys, i am the bloke who crashed the Sapphire. Still healing emotionally and justyifing myself to myself knowing it's all bull. I stuffed up, end of story. It's definitely a lesson albeit an expensive one. I was not aware of this tread until today and i thank you for your comments. Had a good laugh actually about the bent lightpole one 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

I hope once i recover financially to be back in the air, so i am not scared off by this experience although substitute like stamp collecting did cross my mind 040_nerd.gif.a6a4f823734c8b20ed33654968aaa347.gif

Happy flying.

Hi Avion, So sorry about your plane. What are you going to do with the wreck? Anything salvageable?

We do our best to keep your spirits high, and thank God you were not hurt (physically)

Guest TOSGcentral

Thank you Avion,

Your post underlines the growing maturity of these forums. There was comment on your bingle but it was positive in term of trying to understand by which to help the greater community we have here.

It was great to see you also join in and in such a positive way - sort of closes the circle because we are not accident investigators - we may just be the next bunny in line and want to learn what we can to avoid that.

Thanks again mate!

Aye

Tony

Guest Avion

Again, thanks for your support guys.

Doug, i stripped the plane of engine, controls, electronics and undercarriage. The fuselage is destroyed but wings are salvageable. I gave it away to a bloke that had accident with his Sapphire (engine failure) and landed in a fence. (Frank, you are a vulture 088_censored.gif.2b71e8da9d295ba8f94b998d0f2420b4.gif 010_chuffed.gif.c2575b31dcd1e7cce10574d86ccb2d9d.gif) I always wanted to build my own so i may now go down that route since i have all those bits now.

Tony, i admit i wanted to hide under the rock but you guys make it more bearable and i am gratefull for it.

Cheers,

Tom

PS: Ian, thanks for the kind words, i will give you a call and have a chat.