Rotax 582 exhaust ceramic coat finish

ozzietriker

Hey Folks,

About 8 months ago I decided to get my exhaust system ceramic coated in black, it's out of my Rotax 582 (grey top) motor. Couldn't stand looking at the surface rust and pitting anymore. The exhausts on the newer blue top motors get this done now. The facility in Melb did a great job of it, is there anything (e.g a polish) that I could apply to it from time to time to maintain the high lusture finish and protect the coating?

thanks in advance

Dennis

hey dennis

i have a trike with quiet a few hours on it and have been recently wiping it over with crc on a bit of rag and it seems to be doin the trick for want of sumnthin better:thumb_up:

is it very expensive to have them coated as i have a brand new 582 exhaust without coating?

regards gary

Hey Gary, thanks for the tip perhaps WD40 would do the trick too? to get my whole exhaust ceramic coated was $340 incl postage. To get a replacement new exhaust system for a 582cc is approx $650, so it's worth getting done and I couldn't believe how good it came up.

All the new trikes these days have it done. HPS in VIC is the mob that ceramic coat all the exhausts for Bert Floods when they import them from Rotax Austria.

cheers

Dennis :thumb_up:

• 1 year later...
Hey Gary, thanks for the tip perhaps WD40 would do the trick too? to get my whole exhaust ceramic coated was $340 incl postage. To get a replacement new exhaust system for a 582cc is approx $650, so it's worth getting done and I couldn't believe how good it came up.All the new trikes these days have it done. HPS in VIC is the mob that ceramic coat all the exhausts for Bert Floods when they import them from Rotax Austria.

cheers

Dennis :thumb_up:

Who is HPS?

• 7 years later...

I have my rotax 582 exhaust ceramic coated and now my egt temps are way low, cruise egt would be low thousand but moved the needle one notch leaner and monitored the cruise egt at 1100f but full throttle egt are about 900f, need to change the main jet to get full power egt to 1000f like before ceramic coated.

If ceramic coating your exhaust changed your EGTs why are you considering changing fuel settings. EGT is only an indication of what is happening and if you were correct with your fuel settings before the coating, you should still be correct after it. Just use the new figures as standard and you will be OK.

To get a big change I wonder how far the sender is from the start of the exhaust.

it is interesting that the EGT temp went down with the ceramic coating. I would have thought it went the other way.... It is not some affect on the Probe/gauge rather than a real temprature change is it?

• Agree 1