Lightning Protection

skybum

Ian, can the brothers install micromesh ligtning protection into the mold at the factory? just been doing some research and, granted, we are supposed to be fair weather flyers, I am just a tad worried about the rare chance of lightning strike.

Millennium Aircraft are so busy with their production planning of the first Masters at the moment so let us wait for them to be available here first and then perhaps in a year or two.

In recreational flying, as in all flying, prevention is far better than the results of no protection. There is no way known that I am advocating flying anywhere in bad weather. However, one lightning strike into a non protected glass ship and it goes BAANG! Lightning is also known to spit out of growing CU that never turn into storms.

The question was if it can be fitted into the layup at point of manufacture. It is only insurance not an underhanded way of building a ship for IFR. Do some research on a glider that was struck in England.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but lightning is usually associated with Cumulonimbus clouds.

And correct me if I am wrong, but to avoid lightning, you simply dont fly near Cb.

Mind you, if you want to get home at all, in one piece Cb is best avoided. Which begs the question, why do you then need lightning protection?

*mind you, this is a bit of a thread hijack, so apols*

ben

the lightning protection used on F18 Hornet and Boeing 747-400 aircraft is nothing more than 1 layer of conductive black primer... even though its primary purpose is to dissipate static electricity from the panel. it serves well for lightning protection as a secondary function.

Lightning protection.

Ultralights, they are made of quite thick metals,(aluminium alloys) which are as you know, very good conductors in their own right. The control surface hinges etc are also bonded to prevent largish currents finding their way along cables etc, as well as static discharge wicks, etc. Notwithstanding the above, I have been involved in lightning strikes which have grounded the aircraft for inspection, and often repair, where considerable damage has been done to the skin and instruments/radios. I cannot see that anything other than major modification to the conductivity of the structure to allow the currents to pass through without damage, would achieve much with a composite aircraft.

I guess the problem will be addressed with the Boeing "Dreamliner", but I think it will not be an easy fix. I endorse the procedure of avoidance, strongly. You don't have to fly in that stuff so why go anywhere near it? Nev..

The link to the UK site needs the entire line to work-

AAIB report hope this helps.

My personal opinion? I do not want to get anywhere near these suckers. However, the reality of nice hot summer Cu out on the plains of our brown land occassionally do produce the odd spark. Having seen them with my own eyes, they ARE a reality. Sometimes with virga present, sometimes with absolutely no rain at all. Virga is a giveaway and should be avoided all the time. Turbulence squared! But, those nice Cu with a razor sharp base can be a catchout too. Hey its a rare event, but why not look at protecting anyone that flies with you. Low hours and have flown around sparky clouds with other pilots flying but luckily haven't seen even a close strike and want to keep it that way!

EDIT- aljuminium already provides the protection as does rag and tube so why not just add a bit whilst laying up and there you go. Its only a question and will come at a cost that I am prepared to pay for.

Tubing can cease to be tubing due to magnetic field in a lighting strike. One of the missing photos from the UK shows tube in the aileron control which has been crushed by this.

Read the bit on P5 where it describes the state of what had been a 16mm OD, 1mm wall thickness tube.

Guest Teenie2

Coat the inside of the composite with a conductive primer,and or apply a bonded aluminum foil (or even plasma spray)to the internal surface.This is what the airbuses and boeings have been doing for years. Or Ive been fixing the wrong stuff for the past 26 years.

Teenie2

apply a bonded aluminum foil

Exactly, tis easier when the two halves of the molds are apart than trying to find munchkins small enough to apply it after you get the aeroplane.

Do not want to start a serious debate about whether or not I want to take on the weather or not, to be turned into a wether or not by a stray bolt from the blue:laugh:(I've been waiting years to put that in a serious conversation:thumb_up:)

Seriously, it is a cost point that will not be free. I am sure of that. The insurance is to eliminate as many safety variables as possible and keep within certain cost parameters.

when i mentioned the F18 hornet, i was referring to the composite panels, the panels are painted in a conductive black primer, which bonds the panel to the metalic structure underneath, also the 747-400 wing to body fairing are treated with the Plasma spray just as airbus are... though minor repairs were just painted in conductive primer.

funnily enough though, almost every lightning strike i have seen on the Qantas fleet has been on a fastener! if the lightning strike was in the area of the composite panels, the strike entry or exit mark would always be on a fastener!

when i mentioned the F18 hornet, i was referring to the composite panels, the panels are painted in a conductive black primer, which bonds the panel to the metalic structure underneath, also the 747-400 wing to body fairing are treated with the Plasma spray just as airbus are... though minor repairs were just painted in conductive primer.

funnily enough though, almost every lightning strike i have seen on the Qantas fleet has been on a fastener! if the lightning strike was in the area of the composite panels, the strike entry or exit mark would always be on a fastener!