RA -AUS exams

Guest coolmango

Guest coolmango

Hi

I am wondering how many exams (written, verbal etc) are there to pass for the RA-AUS license, and are there "specific RA-AUS books" , practice exams that I can do ?

There seems to be a good range of books on the market, but I can't clearly identify the exams as yet. I am only interested in the basic RA-AUS pilot license.

I was hoping to start studying for them now, in advance ( I only have a few hours under my belt). I can find practice exams for PPL stuff and lots of BAK type books, but not any specific RA-AUS study guides and exam prep tools.

Any suggestions or pointers ? I only want to do 1 exam at a time, so identifying the order of exams would also help. :rotary:

Note : I have Roy Ashcroft ( I think thats the name ??) books but they don't have exam specifics in them or I can 't find them...

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

G'day, not many takers.. Ill try help out..

The order of exams is,

1. Pre solo air legislation

2. Radio exam (and oral)

3. BAK exam

Just study up on the BAK, and also the ops manual, and try the practice exams in the BAK. If yagettin 80-90 % in those then ya on ya way..

The exams aren't that tough, just be aware of the trick in the questions..

Most school's will probably want you to do the radio exam before you go solo..

Hope this helps

cheers

hi Merv, ya right about the trick questions, well they arnt really trick but one has to fully read and understand them before answering. I have done and passed my BAK but the Pre solo air legislation is a newey to me, could you please tell me what it entails.

thanks steve

I read Jim Davis, the vfr guide and the ops manual, asked as many questions as I could and didnt have a problem with the pre solo or the bak. Now I have the radio exam which shouldnt be a problem either, then its navs and cross country. I'm thinking of getting a Recreational Pilot Flight Training Course on Interactive DVD Video from the states, they also have a transition to ppl one. Not being much of a reader ( I hate it actualy ) it may help me with the navs and x/c not to mention a going over of what I have already done. It may not be of much use here in OZ, will see. Anyway I'll keep you posted.

Bushpilot, how have the qualifying rules changed ? I havent read the new ops manual yet. theres no pictures in there so it may take me a while :ah_oh: :big_grin:

Steve

There are a mob of people out there that have a bunch of knowledge, enthusiasim and experience that seem to know the answers and are a fairly helpful bunch - instructors! Yep that thats them, instructors.

Go and talk to your instructor or CFI because they are there to help you and you are paying for them to impart knowledge so that you can understand the intent behind the questions that are being asked in the exams.

A good flying school should underpin the flying experience with the knowledge to help you understand the principles of flight and flying. The knowledge that they impart should assist you with learning to become a pilot, not just answering a bunch of exam questions.

Hi Bilby, maybe you have misinterpreted me. I DO have impeccable planes, a good school, EXCELLENT CFI and instructors whom I AM VERY HAPPY WITH and am well on the way to becoming a pilot.... what I was referring to was.. I find it easier to learn from dvds than reading books, on top of that I want to never stop learning (heard that somewhere before ey Nev :thumb_up:) and I think it will be good to look over the dvds from time to time, to brush up on things, it maybe just a personal thing but its what I want to do. Another point being which I havent mentioned before is that I visit the USA every couple of years and the dvds would most likely help me fly there too. That might be a hurdle to get over, which I havent looked into yet, but would an Aussie certificate and/or training be acceptable in the USA?

Steve

Hi Steve,

No, I wasn't having a go at you. I get annoyed by some instructors who have to get students through the exam without the student actually understanding some of the questions.

There are numerous books and probably CD's out in the market that would be helpfull but what I am trying to say is that if you are unsure of sitting for an exam, then maybe you need to get down and personal with your instructor.

One of the best inventions to learning in my opinion, is the whiteboard as it really is interactive and can make for interesting discussions between the parties driving the whiteboard marker.

Bibly, mate, its not always practcal for instructors to teach the full BAK to students. We require that the student do a certain amount of study in their own time and build the knowlage up that way. If we had to spoon feed every part of the BAK and other text's to you it would take a hell of a lot of time and therefore $$$$ for the student..If old mate isn't a big reader then the other method's may be the go, otherwise a groundschool class might be needed.. But like i said, that cost;s $$$$....

cheers

Aids to learning.

Steve L, The main thing that I find a problem with using American material (nav calculators, glass cockpit presentation, books, DVD's etc , is the use of different terminology. There is no room for confusion in navigation, especially in the form that it is basically taught, and with a mix of USA terms and ours, we get a real problem. If I might make a suggestion in this regard, SUMMARISE the definitions, get the CDMVT thing understood, get a basic understanding of cartography (properties of various map projections) how to plot a track from one WAC chart to another, across the join.

Understand scale. Get your triangle of velocities spot on. Work out how to orientate yourself with respect to a fixture. Ie I am 10 miles S.E. of Woop Woop, tracking East or whatever. These are the very basics .

Writing something down , or drawing your own diagram will fix it in your mind infinitely better than just reading it or watching it, and you can refer back to your notes anytime, to refresh your memory.. Nev

hehe. Nev, don't scare the poor guy, that all sounds pretty technical.

Fully agree with the Yanky terms thing though.Can be very confusing, and its confusing enough already without more conversions being needed.

cheers.

thanks Motz you have taken the words right of my mouth :thumb_up:, and even though I have passed my third ( radio ops ) exam all on the first attempt, I will still study them, not just put them at the back of my mind.

another good post thanks Nev. I see what you mean and fully undertsand there will be different terminology etc. as I have seen a few demo vids already. I dont intend to take too much to heart until I have passed navs and any other exams to Aussie standards, but what I do need to learn eventually is the yanky criteria if its ever possible to fly there. I hear other pilots say that we're coming into line with the FAA ( or vice versa ) more all the time.

Steve

oh and the poor guys not scared :big_grin:

Interesting comments Motz

You will find over your instructing career that students do not all learn the same way, (lots of articles written on that subject) and for some of them, you are going to have to spoon feed while others get stuck straight into the tea bone steak.

Most people are apprehensive about sitting exams especially as they have paid a bunch of money and have a sort of expectation of passing, so it really is easy for a school to set practice exams. If the student fails on a few questions, then it may be due to their learning technique or interpretation of the question. If a bunch of students fail the same few questions then it just might be the way that they were taught so the lesson plan would have to be reviewed.

How do you think people passed the PPL and CPL exams twenty or thirty years ago when there were no DVD’s, power point presentations or glossy books? I also ask students to read the book but if they have questions then you need to help them understand so a whiteboard session and a coffee help no end. In the end, that approach also makes good business sense as the instructor gets a reputation for helping students learn to fly.

Either way, it is going to cost students an amount of money to learn and if they the good oil from you, then there is a fair chance that they will keep coming back, possibly with their mates who want to fly.

Yea Bill, i appreciate that.. To answer your question about how ppl and cpl were passed, its by groundschooling.. NOT flying lessons..The flying lessons will teach you to fly. There is a differance. While we have a small window of time with each student post and preflight to brieff on the theory and things, that isn't enough on its own to educate the guy to the required standards.. so, study is needed, if the dude isn't a big studier, then attending a groundschool may be the go..(i believe that covers the every student being different thing)..and yes, thankyou, i have read the articles on the differances between students. If im not mistaken i had to do a thing called a PMI aswell which sort of said the odd thing about this subject. And yes, spent quite some time in front of a whitboard...

I have spoon fed quite a few guys already, and had to charge them for the time,

I mainly teach PPL and 200 hr cpl students at the school im with, very few genuine ultralight students. So my perspective may be different from a club type operation.

Guest coolmango

Interestig debate

Students expect to pay to learn this stuff... some instructors take differnent approaches.... I am yet to met one that beleive that they are a bad instructor !!!

I paid around $800.00 to my first instructor ( May 2008), ... did not get an hour in the air. I got 4 hours of theory and a stack of books. He thought he was a great instructor. I didn't.

(Since late June) I am now with another school. I am happy to pay for groundbase lessons and to fly. Thats the point. I am there to fly and learn.

The first guy cant get his head around that I think he is useless. You see, to him it is about a business. To me it is about a passion. After sitting in his hanger wanting to fly - but instead studying weather maps and flight zones - and he woud just answer calls through the lessons... I left.

I wanted to fly. I waited many years to fly... If i wanted a ground school I would have found one. I am not trying to get a RA AUS licence in 25 hours.... I don't care how long it takes... the second instructor understands that ! and is far cheper

Just a thought, why not sit the full ppl exams instead then you have all the different Raa exams covered, ie bak, navs etc. Theory Course cost me $300, no fancy computers, lots of paper and wizz wheel. Great instructor. Did ppl just in case of later transition but not on the cards yet, having to much fun with the rag and tube.

Just my 0.2c worth

Maynard

Interestig debateI paid around $800.00 to my first instructor ( May 2008), ... did not get an hour in the air. I got 4 hours of theory and a stack of books. He thought he was a great instructor. I didn't.

Wow coolmango $800 before your first flight. I have not long ago obtained My restricted certificate all up costs were around $2900:00

Tim

• Caution 1

Guest coolmango
Wow coolmango $800 before your first flight. I have not long ago obtained My restricted certificate all up costs were around $2900:00 Tim

Hi Tim.. yea, I was taken for a "wee ride". At the time I knew no better...

I walked into the flight school 10 minutes from home and said I wanted to learn to fly, where do I start. I didn't even have a TIF or offered one, and never even got a flight with "that" instructor. I saved up $1000 to get started.. I asked what basics I needed to get started... So I was sold everything from ERSA, to a "you buite" Jefferson flight bag. Most I could do without... I now have all my maps which will be out of date when I need them (so will the ERSA!!!).

First lesson I was all excited as I thought finally I get to fly, and he gave me some spiel about needing to know some basics before we went up. On looking back , he was waiting for a phone call (well he took about 7 in my first lesson.) . Lesson one ISO charts and weather. 1 hour of complete wasted for a keen beginner time I see now. he was looking to stay in his hanger... he charged me for 1.2 hours..... I am an honest sort of guy, so I kept going back, until I relised things didn't add up.

I later was advised that it was possible that his aircraft may have been in a situation that could not be used - or his accreditaton was needing....., hence he kept stringing me along....

If it were possible to report this to someone I would , but I don't want to mention the business in these pages - in case....

a month later I joined an RA AUS aero club... several hours away from home.... and there are people there that know the same guy "by reputation".

I get pretty G' ed up when I talk about that experience...

Guest coolmango
Hi Coolmango,You copped a bad one there and I was just wondering if that particular school still exists??

Yep still in business - I think his main focus is selling stuff and new aircraft. He is very active indeed.....radioactive.gif.1acc918ae505c8835a1c29d9312871c0.gif toxic...

Guest airsick

Just curious. Why is it that if I train with instructor x and have a great experience then I am happy to recommend him/her but when I have a bad experience all I do is relate the story but not the names? If I named them others in here wouldn't have to suffer like me so essentially by not naming him all I am doing is promoting this ongoing suffering.

It is alright if you name someone when relating your experiences. If you say something like "I trained with Bob from Dunce Flying Inc. He charged me $800 up front and I didn't get a minute in the air. I think I was ripped off.", then you are relating your experiences to others and expressing an opinion. This is fine and helpful to others. If you say, "Bob is a knob and is blatantly taking people for a ride.", then this is not so appropriate.

I would be interested to know who this operator that you weren't happy with really is.