Shell Aviation to withdraw Avgas from some regionals

johnprop

An aviation operator at Cootamundra has received written advice that Shell Aviation have decided to pull out of a few regional sites including Cootamundra effective from 1 December 2008.

Two weeks ago I asked Shell Aviation ( [email protected] ) would they confirm which outlets are to be closed. I have not received a reply.

Does anyone know which Shell regional sites are to be closed and what if any alternative arrangements have been made for the supply of Avgas to those sites to be abandoned by Shell Aviation.

Is big oil deserting the bush just like the big banks? What happened to cross subsidisation?

johnprop

Guest Nelson Smith

West Sale has just been abandoned by BP or Mobil. Dug up the underground tanks and that's it for West Sale as far as avgas goes. There are rumours that Bairnsdale is going the same way.

Nelson

They must be working with the property developers. get rid of the fuel to get rid of the planes then the build houses and build petrol stations to sell fuel to the two cars in every household. outcome greater longterm fuel sales. how many billions did they just announce in profit for this year? com on electric.

If you have a read of the latest Australian Aviation magazine there's an interesting article on the demise of AVGAS in total due to the reducing number of refineries which are able to produce leaded high octane fuels i.e. AVGAS. The article goes on to talk about modifying / designing aircraft engines for alternate fuels (MOGAS). The following article is about Rolls Royce's development of small low SHP turbines as potential replacements for the larger AVGAS engines in use today...we might have a turbine powered CT4 after all ;)

Mogas.

The Rotax's prefer it , But I have not seen too many LAME's who like the idea of using mogas without qualification/ modification. Both certified engines that I am involved with are OK on Mogas but I have NEVER used it. Avgas is nice stuff and doesn't vapourlock as unpredictably. There is not much control of quality with mogas and the price differential is not so great percentage-wise either.

You may get more oil dilution with mogas, and should probably use a different oil. Be a bit of a shame if it can't be purchased. Guess you can't take anything for granted.. Nev..

• 2 weeks later...

I guess it is a question of economics. It cost money for the fuel companies to have a bowser somewhere. Shell predominately being a marketer of fuels in this country would be looking closer at sites that are not giving them a positive return, hence "D" day first of December. I have seen instances where on-field businesses and councils have taken on the responsibility of some bowsers and put credit card readers in situ rather than fuel company CARNOs and this works just fine. Perhaps if an imminent closure is going to affect you, then rattle the cage and see if anybody is interested taking over the fuel operation (aeroclub etc perhaps) and the responsibility of purchasing stock fuel, keeping the installation certified, calibrated, quality of fuel checked etc..049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

Guest pelorus32

Availability of AvGas is a growing problem. As I understand it MAF have problems getting supplies through swathes of Asia and Africa at certain times of the year.

AvGas is going to be increasingly problematic to access in future, whether through economics or supply.

Having said that Lethbridge has a big fairly new Shell AvGas bowser.

Regards

Mike

Guest Maj Millard

And they expect us to all merrily change to thier new Shell oils for our rotax 912's now do they ?? I've got about 12hrs to run before my next change, and I'll be having a good look at the Valvolene range I think. It does work both ways you know. 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Heon, we (Temora Aero Club) operated a BP fuel installation for many years. We never had an automated card activated pump. We approached BP on numerous occasions to upgrade the installation to accept either BP or credit cards but they declined. Although we made a very small profit out of the fuel it was difficult for club members to service the needs of visiting pilots on a 24 hr basis. We never charged callout fees so attending was always out of courtesy at own own expense.

Aero Refuellers have in the past 6 months installed their own automated pump at Temora which accepts credit, debit and Aero Refuellers cards. This system with the exception of a few glitches (only accepts credits cards with an attached PIN no.) works well.

BP completely removed their installation recently.

I would suggest any airport with fuel availability issues contact Aero Refuellers at their Albury office and discuss the matter.