Mid Air in Sydney ? Any info.

My Instructor taught me the same thing, :thumb_up: Ozzie. Experience is a wonderful thing. :thumb_up:

Tony - we now have the benefit of your (and others) years of experience available on these forums. 018_hug.gif.8f44196246785568c4ba31412287795a.gif Which make us all (that read it) much safer. :thumb_up: So a big thankyou to you, and a big thankyou to Ian. 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif011_clap.gif.8adfe837b4189ee6622bf4917d6a88c0.gif

regards

:big_grin::big_grin:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keeping to the right of any features on the ground is an old trick and especially useful if you are tracking along the coast. To take it a bit further maybe we should fly low wing aircraft a bit below recommended height and high wing a bit above.

I reckon a second call is whats needed.. I mean, instead of evryone meeting up over the top of a 1 meter wide radio mast (2RN) perhaps a an "inbound to the reporting point" call.. Perhaps on the area freq or a dedicated freq..

The training area at camden is shared by bankstown and let me tell you it gets incredibly busy.. Its normal to see half a dozen acft in the same airspace all doing random manouvers.. same airspace meaning within a few miles, and at varying alt's.

So a call on a dedicated channel that you are inbound to 2RN (with eta) could help guys organise arriving with better seperation.. Then once over the reporting point switch to bankstown and report inbound..

• 2 years later...

The Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) final report on the Cessna 152/Liberty Aerospace XL-2 at Casula, NSW in 2008 is now out

http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2008/aair/ao-2008-081.aspx

What surprised me in trying to find this original link is that we have 13 PAGES of accident and incident threads since then.