- Anyone used an online log book?

Guest Brett Campany

I would imagine it would be a bit of a shock if the server disappeared.

Our flying school doesn't keep the log books, but some keep them to keep the student from straying, others for the CFI to sign off all books at set periods.

I keep a regular logbook but also an electronic logbook from ForPilots.com: Aviation Software, Shareware, Books, Computerized Logbooks, and Information this is stored on your own pc but it is easy to create backups of your data, I save this data on an external drive also just in case I post a copy to my Yahoo mail accounts just in case the external drive fails.

I was thinking of putting one up on here but a poll I did some time ago showed that there wasn't much interest plus there are some legality issues as well.

Our server is backed up every night so that would be a better option then using your own PC unless you also backed that up every night as well - my PC is backed up weekly and I lost 4 days of work, emails etc when my hard disk died on me several years ago.

I will soon take another look at creating for each user, sections for a private online:

Pilot Log Book

Aircraft Log Book

Kit Building Log Book

BFR Reminder

Aircraft Reminders (oil change, 100hrly etc)

plus any others you can think of

Guest Brett Campany

Ian, that would be a great idea, I for one would certainly use it! I think it's something good to have so that it can be printed out later on if required plus you can keep backups. Heaven forbid if you lost or damaged your actual log book and there goes all of your records. Having something online would be great to be able to go back to in the event you had to get a new log book for any reason.

Guest basscheffers

I look at them and decided against it, instead going for LogTen Pro, a very nice application for the Mac.

Same reasons as above: you never know when the site might cease operations...

Same reasons as above: you never know when the site might cease operations...

That is never going to happen - even if I were to kick the bucket, hit by a low flying bus etc, there will always be someone who will keep it going.

Guest basscheffers

For not-for-profit/hobby sites like these, that is often the case. You are unlikely to run out of money to pay the ISP and disappear overnight.

In fact, I would have a lot more faith in you than in Zululog or other commercial offerings; when they go bankrupt even with the best intentions, the admins may not have access to anything anymore and the administrators (as in the bankruptcy accountants) might only be interested in liquidating by putting the servers on eBay...