Golden oldies?

Whats your favourit old school Aircraft (60s and older) and why? If you have a reason why.

If your've got a photo may as well post it up to.

Mine are Reason

P-40 Looks mean

Tiger moth Fun to fly

Mig 17 Always have liked it

Thanks,

H :yin_yan:

1521579831_Picture3114.jpg.1819db8cb51c1919018dd897e89262ba.jpg

260391669_Picture3136.jpg.c8d696177a5ac3a369156c43c83e8b3e.jpg

I have two Favs

First is the Trojan, it is just so dam tough, big prop big nose and big noise. Second is the DC3, there is just something about these planes that stands out. Also it was the first plane my Dad had his Command on.

SG101284.jpg.f78093a4b0e647df6125cfc7cbe1f51b.jpg

IMG_1747.jpg.cddfbe03110a21d495d9a46b9faba9bd.jpg

Fond memories of the DAC

Must say having done a few hundred jumps out of the DC3 [VH-CAN] and as a pilot (not of the DAC) it holds a special place in my heart. The smell of the kero and oil, the sound of those Pratt & Whitneys, the clouds of smoke on start up, the classic tail dragger in a large ish passenger aircraft all add up to a admirable airplane. Even now I can identify the sound of a DAC approaching a mile off and still rush outside to have a look and smile as it gracefully cruises by.

I have some old skydiving photos I took exiting the DC3 must try and post some for a different perspective of an aircraft looking up from underneath.049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

Nostalgia.

Skydog, surely they were not running it on kerosene? (DC-3) Though some of them have been converted to turboprop engines (sacrilege).

You have gotta admit that the Douglas DC-3 (derived from the DC-2) Has demonstrated incredible longevity, being designed about 1936. It broke new ground with it's size (it's all relative) and the material used for it's construction. (Aluminium).

Post WW2 they were used all over the world for a long time in all kinds of roles, including PNG. with TAA's Sunbird services, a pretty demanding environment.

I'm afraid the award from me goes to the Consolidated Catalina PBY-(5A) as I spent a lot of time at Lake Macquarie right opposite the ramp at Rathmines, on Kilaben Bay... Nev..

Kero, thats what I was drinking

Kero, what am I thinking , thats what I was drinking during those skydiving days I reckon.

That avgas sure smells great being churned thru those engines.

The mighty Catalina, yes a very beautiful design and great looking plane I agree. Looking forward to seeing that one flown down from Spain recently.

Cheers.

Guest Brett Campany

My dream aircraft would have to be a restored P-51. That'd be the only reason why I'd get a PPL, to fly one of those!

Oh Yes , well we probably all would like to own and fly one of those but to be honest dont think I would be good enough or could afford one.

049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

Nice plane, very sexy and powerful beast.

Saw plenty at Oshkosk last yr , about 15 in a fly past and also got a shot of the raptor flying alongside a mustang.

This website organiser is trying to get people together to visit Oshkosh this yr, maybe good for you to go?

Guest Brett Campany

Yeah the wife and I are still looking at the calender to see if we could go. Not looking good so far but we'll see.

I was fortunate to meet up with a mate when I went for my TIF the other day and he took me for a spin in his Yak. Well, what can I say except that it was TOTALLY AWESOME and an experience that I won't ever forget in a hurry!!! The roar of the radial and acceleration was very impressive.

He gave me a rundown on what the Russians used the Yak for and basically you did your initial training in them and then jumped straight into a Mig and off you went to combat. No mucking around in those times, if you didn't make the cut then you found out the hard way! I'll have to brush up on my Russian though as the gauges are still in Russian and it was weird doing 230kph ias instead of knots.

IMG_1492.jpg.cf0f28b19bbd8e49891a0cd413948ffc.jpg

Wish I had a friend that generous.

Well done you lucky b.

Great engine sound and lots of smoke on start up.

I see the yak 52 from Pt Cook doing joyflights fly over my place quite a lot, very distinctive noise.

Must say having done a few hundred jumps out of the DC3 [VH-CAN] and as a pilot (not of the DAC) it holds a special place in my heart. The smell of the kero and oil, the sound of those Pratt & Whitneys, the clouds of smoke on start up, the classic tail dragger in a large ish passenger aircraft all add up to a admirable airplane. Even now I can identify the sound of a DAC approaching a mile off and still rush outside to have a look and smile as it gracefully cruises by.I have some old skydiving photos I took exiting the DC3 must try and post some for a different perspective of an aircraft looking up from underneath.049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

Ahh i too have some great memories of VH CANobus and megaloads over Corowa

Love to see some photos of the ol girl.

Here is a link to VH CAN over Corowa that i took a while back

Ozzie

The DC2 and DC3 get a mention here, but did you know there was a DC2 1/2. When they were flying over the hump from India to Russia during the war, a DC3 lost a wing and they only had a DC2 wing available to repair it, so they put that on and it flew acceptably. Only about a meter shorter.

Amazing those DACS

Love those stories about DC-3's. They sure can carry a big load as Ozzie no doubt can testify to on the parachute loads over Corowa

Lots more than MTOW.

What is the real MTOW capability?

Never forget that load over Corowa when one more skydive competition team of 16 people accidently jumped on board than planned. Didnt seem to phase the old girl one bit but Maybe Jack the pilot felt it somewhat lifting the tail off.;)

Hahaha. DC2 1/2. Thats a interesting story. Do you know how they lost the wing?

Story in brief:

Another tale is that of the "DC-2-1/2", which was thrown together on an emergency basis in China, and had one DC-2 wing and one DC-3 wing. A DC-3 operated by China National Aviation Company (CNAC) was forced down by Japanese fighters; the crew and passengers got out, but the Japanese strafed the DC-3 and shot up the right wing. CNAC couldn't find another DC-3 wing, but they did find a spare DC-2. They strapped it to the fuselage of a DC-2 to fly it to the site of the downed DC-3. The wing was fitted and the crew flew the hybrid machine to Hong Kong, reporting no great problems in handling.

BTW Skydog if you where around when the Otters where being used you will remember me as "Robes" the refueller and loadmaster.

• 5 months later...

The Sea Fury. (Actually, anything designed by Sir Sydney Camm!) The Sea Fury is such a beautiful thing, so graceful, and the sound of it is so unique, it really purrs.

Secondly, the humble Aussie Victa Airtourer, because it is crisp handling and a delight to fly. It is simple enough for ab initio training, but is also aerobatic. It has design features now being used in modern aircraft. It has a fixed seat for the same perspective each flight, a side/centre stick. It has a low coaming you can see over, and a canopy for great visibility. It's easy to fly and easy to land. It has full span flapperons for excellent responsiveness. The stall warning only works when there is flap out - good for training and for aeros. It can be slipped, with and without flap. It's fun to fly!

I've had people coming over for a trip down memory lane, wistfully saying that they learnt to fly in one, way back in 1963. I've also had people coming over saying what is that? Is this some sort of new experimental aircraft? It makes me happy that the 1950s design was so far ahead of its time that 50 years later, people still think it is a brand new type!