Get Into Avalon East ?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although this isn't Avalon East but it may help you decide to ensure you are fully fuelled up just in case.

At the last Avalon I had a time slot to come in on the main strip in my CT. I came around over the car proving ground where I was told to radio in which I did. I was then told to hold between the prison and the proving ground and to be aware that a Tecnam who was having radio trouble was holding above the prison.

I was circling for an hour colouring in a circle on my gps waiting and waiting and waiting. Had to also make sure that I absolutely maintained the given alt as a jet flew over me and I would say if I was 250ft higher then I would have hit some forrm of his wake.

Eventually I was allowed to come in an hour after my given slot and the Avalon main strip is a big optical illusion for the small aircraft when trying to land - the white lines are as wide as your aircraft so you can be sure you won't judge the flare at the right time 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Also as I came in the tower suggested I be careful of the F1-11 that had his rear end poking out onto the threashold - I kept imagining what would happen if he throttled up just as I was landing - I elected to land long ;)

So, coming into to Avalon please expect the unexpected including delays and ensure you are fully fuelled up - just in case

Thanks for the advise, I will ensure the 120 is full.

I am sure it will not be a bed of roses getting into Avalon, but I am looking forward to the challenge.

I also have a question for maybe some locals or someone that knows.

What is the weather usually like down there at that time of the year? I am preparing for it to be cold.

Harthy

What is the weather usually like down there at that time of the year? I am preparing for it to be cold.

Typical Melbourne - prepare for anything and everything. Having been to every Avalon airshow, I have seen days of 40 degrees with gusty northerly winds and days of 15 with rain - all during the same show and almost on the same day.

G'day Harthy - Sorry mate I missed your post to me. Would love to put you up on Wednesday night (if that's how things work out). Inlaws have the spare room booked, but I'm sure we can fit you in (somewhere). I've asked for an arrival at 1600 hrs (local) (Thursday) as I can't leave Echuca until 1400 hr. (work).

regards

Sorry Tomo, I have a flying buddy going with me.I am fighting offers off with a stick at the moment!

Harthy

No worrys... Thanks anyway...

By the way. I have done my first lesson in Bob's Drifter, it was a lot different to what I'd imagined (in the good way)...and I think it is a awesome little acft...:thumb_up: Don't worry I still will be hiring your Jab in the future....:big_grin:

I will be training on Tuesdays most of the time, early in the morning for a bit.

Anyway better not get off the thread subject...025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif099_off_topic.gif.20188a5321221476a2fad1197804b380.gif

Thanks Peter for the offer, I certainly don't want to drop in when you have a house full.

I have spoken to Ted at the aeroclub and he said we can camp there, which will be just fine.

Tomo, good to see things are progressing well.

Matt, Thanks for weather update

Harthy

Avalon Confusion.

Hi all,

Just to let you all know I will be posting a separate and specific Post on Avalon airshow requirements when the necessary exemptions have been drafted and issued. There is currently a draft exemption for RA-Aus and HGFA aircraft doing the rounds for approval between RA-Aus, HGFA, ASDU, and OAR. This exemption will allow RA-Aus aircraft Operations in Temporary Restricted areas during the duration of the Avalon Airshow. The current Restricted areas in the Avalon area as per the current NOTAM will exprire on the 5th March. Avalon Airshow Temprary restricted areas will then be in effect until the 16th March. The current airspace requirements require all aicraft transiting or operating in the Restricted airspace to have transponder with Mode C including RA-Aus Aircraft. As we know, RA-Aus registered aircraft cannot operate in restricted airspace when it is active without prior permission from CASA. (Refer para 5(e) CAO 95:55), although there is a current exemption issued for RA-Aus aircraft to enter or transit this airspace if they have they meet the appropriate requiremtents as refered to in the current exemption (refer CASA EX02/09), this includes having a working transponder with Alt reporting. So unless you intend to transit or enter the Avalon Airspace between now and the end of daylight on the 5th March, then the current airspace and requirements will not effect you.

The airspace and requirements for operations in same will change for the airshow period. Seperate exemptions will be applicable to RA-Aus registered aircraft for this period for both Avalon Main, and Avalon East. Basically you will be allowed in an out of Avalon East without a transponder but with a working VHF radio capable of two way communications and with the appropriate RA-Aus Pilot Certificate or higher. You will not need to register to go into AVALON EAST. Operational requirements will be as per the AIP Sup.

Operations into Avalon Main by RA-Aus registered aircraft will be restricted basically to display aircraft and must be registered with ASDU by the 10th Feb. Provided you are properly registered there will be no requirement for a Transponder into Avalon Main either.

As previously stated I will post the exeptions and requirements on this site when the specific exemptions for the Avalon Airshow Airspace have been issued. I expect this to be in the next two to three days.

If once I have posted the relevant information regarding the exemptoins, If you have any questions, Please don't hesitate to call me or send me an email. I will be pleased to answer your questions about the exemptions or the requirements of the AIP SUP if they are not clear to you.

For those flying and driving into Avalon, don't forget to call into the RA-Aus tent and say hello. We will be there for the duration of the show, so have fun and enjoy the show but lets do it right so no one has anything to complain about.

Regards,

Mick Poole

RA-Aus Operations Manager.

[email protected]

Ph. 0400 280 087

• 1 month later...

Well good luck guy's I have just been informed that I can not hire the Jabiru 160 on the 13 14 of march for the airshow although I booked it months ago. After all this planning, saving, ringing Avalon organizers, Raa people, speaking to GA and Raa pilots who have done it for advice and getting my GAAP procedures all sorted out ( and flying over avalon twice to check out the layout and visiting once on the bike) Etc I am..... Well to say the least ... Disappointed. Excuse was The plane has been booked by someone else. but I know the flying school just does not want me to fly it into avalon although I booked it months ago.

For me to hire a plane now would be almost impossible, and I would have to do an hour or so with the people who own it to show them I am a competent flyer, or if It was a 230 Etc would have to do a conversion and then a few hours on the friday beforehand to become familiar enough with it blah blah blah......

Upset is an understatement..... absolutely shattered and somewhat angry.

At-least I have done some work here of which might have aided someone else to have a go at getting in. I do expect pictures and reports, If I yell at you for flying in please forgive me.

Well good luck guy's I have just been informed that I can not hire the Jabiru 160 on the 13 14 of march for the airshow although I booked it months ago. After all this planning, saving, ringing Avalon organizers, Raa people, speaking to GA and Raa pilots who have done it for advice and getting my GAAP procedures all sorted out ( and flying over avalon twice to check out the layout and visiting once on the bike) Etc I am..... Well to say the least ... Disappointed. Excuse was The plane has been booked by someone else. but I know the flying school just does not want me to fly it into avalon although I booked it months ago.For me to hire a plane now would be almost impossible, and I would have to do an hour or so with the people who own it to show them I am a competent flyer, or if It was a 230 Etc would have to do a conversion and then a few hours on the friday beforehand to become familiar enough with it blah blah blah......

Upset is an understatement..... absolutely shattered and somewhat angry.

At-least I have done some work here of which might have aided someone else to have a go at getting in. I do expect pictures and reports, If I yell at you for flying in please forgive me.

Maybe you should take up Bushy's offer in the other related thread, as he will be just about flying over the top of you on his way to and from.

Hi Guys,

I've flown in to Avalon Main 3 times now (Zodiac & Jabiru): once on a Thursday around 10.30 (very busy) and the other 2 times before and after the tower was active. The last one was 1730 on the sunday, and it was quiter than flying into our local strip! (eerie!) All I can say is, When it's busy, stay sharp!!! This time weather over Bass Strait looks like giving us a Sunday arrival again, which suits me fine! We'll put the plane in the display paddock and do some sightseeing for a day or so. Hope to catch up with some of you there :thumb_up:.

Cheers, Jim.

avalon bound

Just as an aside.......I find it really useful to print the Avalon AIP supp and put the relevant pages in a display folder, and then highlight the extra relevant parts with highlighter. Also the relevant maps, cut to fit, for quick reference. This becomes my bible for the weeks leading up to the event, till I know the procedures inside out.....

See you there!

Jim

Hi guy's who is bushy ?

See the thread titled 'Avalon Trip 2009' by The Bushman, who will be flying into Avalon from Broken Hill in a 160 or 170 and was looking to hook up with somebody to sit in the right hand seat. Hope this helps.

Thanks Captain, I have just had a look at the thread and he will be flying in on thursday and staying for a few days. I am looking to fly in for the saturday only, also I was looking forward to being the "pilot in command".

What's the weather like on the hills around melbourne

To anyone around Melbourne.

You put on an Airshow and look what happens.

The Area 30 predictions doesn't look good and says that the cloud is on the ground at Kilmore Gap.

How does it look to you experienced Mexicans re the chances of us Cockroaches to get across those hills into Avalon over the next couple of days?

Regards Geoff

Looks like Sunday or possibly Friday would be the go Captain if you're coming for a day trip.

Thanks Brent.

Yes, just looking for a day trip and it looks like you are right. If it stays looking good I might just head on down on Friday and see how far I get.

Thanks for your feedback. How about posting an update for me on how you read the weather around there on Wed & Thur nights?

Regards Geoff

PS ...... when are you departing Echuca Peter? I assume tomorrow morning??

Sometimes the best laid plans.......

Originally I was flying into Avalon on Thursday and leaving Monday. :thumb_up:

Now due to pressing work commitments (isn't it nice when they really do need you...088_censored.gif.2b71e8da9d295ba8f94b998d0f2420b4.gif ), I had to change my plans and fly into Avalon East on Saturday. :big_grin:

However, the weather is looking dicey....:yuk: ..if I book onto the BUS (while there are still seats available) I can go by road to Avalon and be sure of getting there (in one piece). 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

The most important thing to me is to get to the RAA tent and meet some of you guys in the flesh. :thumb_up:

So - I'll be there. Can we set up a time to be at the RAA tent question.gif.c2f6860684cbd9834a97934921df4bcb.gif

regards

PS Geez Captain :heart: - are we destined never to meet question.gif.c2f6860684cbd9834a97934921df4bcb.gif

The most important thing to me is to get to the RAA tent and meet some of you guys in the flesh. :thumb_up:So - I'll be there. Can we set up a time to be at the RAA tent question.gif.c2f6860684cbd9834a97934921df4bcb.gif

regards

PS Geez Captain :heart: - are we destined never to meet question.gif.c2f6860684cbd9834a97934921df4bcb.gif

Peter

I am torne, too. Will probably try to fly down in what looks like might be a window on Friday, but probably dodging storms and showers all the way back ........ or might just jump in the car Friday and drive down if the weather looks too suss.

Main thing I want to do is get there on a Trade Day to get away from the ankle biters.

Is Friday out of the question for you?

Regards Geoff

Guest brentc

I understand Captain, I am constantly amused by the way that the vendors in the big tent wait till just before 2pm and promptly shut down their displays and literally RUN for the airshow exit, before the kiddies get there.

Caught up with Eugene last night, he's heading over in the Amphibious Lightwing today. I thought it was all hard work for the hierarchy over there at the show however when he rattled off all the special dinners he was invited to I realised it's not 'work' at all!

Hey Adrian, best of luck for your fly in I'm sure you will have a blast... Taking the old 4781 are you? NICE.

Let me know how you go? and look forward to you popping over to Shepparton for a fly... Shepparton is pretty disapointing for RAA flying, hard to get an air craft to fly...

Dave