Jabiru grounded when too hot?!

moy71

I've read somewhere that the Jabiru LSA55 are pretty much grounded when the temperatures reach 40deg plus heat.

Is this only for the LSA model or are all Jabiru models affected in this way?

What about other planes?

Thank you.

there are so many factors here are some.

Air density, the air becomes so thin that the minimum takeoff speed is above the minimum for a RA.

At high temp the aircraft structure can become too weak.

The air cooled motor may not be able to keep cool at normal operating rpm.

The cabin temp may be to high affecting the pilots decisions.

Some components in the cabin begin to release harmful fumes above certain temps.

Best thing to do when it is hot is relax in an air conditioned room.

Up at 5.10am, 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif Shave and shampoo, toast and coffee. Drive out to airport (5 min) drag out the Jabby. :heart:

6.15 first light, temp is a pleasant 26 deg, depart from 35 - smooth as. :thumb_up:

alltitude 500 AGL.......WTF 088_censored.gif.2b71e8da9d295ba8f94b998d0f2420b4.gif088_censored.gif.03b4fab6f26a58d5cdf75ba85c450225.gif???????

Temperature now 42 deg. :ah_oh: Its bloody HOT up here. Level off at 1000Ft and fly the river. People camped everywhere for the Southern 80 (Ski Race) . 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Oil temp goes past 100 and creeps towards the red zone. thumb_down Bugger and 088_censored.gif.2b71e8da9d295ba8f94b998d0f2420b4.gif, time to go home. :confused:

Beaut landing on 35 (straight as a die ;)) Temp now down below 75 deg.

Put Jabby back in hanger, close doors and watch the sunrise. :confused:

Back home at 7.00am. (Sigh) :black_eye:

regards :big_grin::big_grin:

Dear mysterious Reverend:

(a) Refer BLA's advice

(b) Refer the Never Ending Story where there is a photo of what your Jab will look like if you keep this up

© Find a gum tree

(d) make sure my daughter behaves herself (On second thoughts don't worry about this one.

I won't tell anyone about the yellow mud, eating grubs, or crutching sheep for stubbies......

Guest Maj Millard

Bigpete, just the best time to fly isn't it ?...if you had a cooler running engine you could have watched that sunrise whilst flying.............strange country, we can't even get into the air up here at the moment because the runways are saturated from meters of bloody rain..........shxx, haven't flown in three weeks !!!!...........024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

It sure is MM,.....I have never encountered conditions (heat) like this before in the early morning. As it was so smooth I throttled back and enjoyed the (magic carpet) ride.

Running at reduced power may have "leaned out" the motor and produced the higher temps. I did run at full power for a few minutes, but it didn't seem to help (and it didn't hurt, either). By this time I was back at the airport and decided to land anyway. By the time I was on late final the temp was down below 80 deg.

regards

:big_grin::big_grin:

If any one has trouble with a hot engine on climb, I can build them a water/methanol injection system, it ads less than 2kg to the aircraft and you only turn it on while you are climbing or if you are sitting on the tarmac for ages with the engine running. its such a simple system and is powered by a high pressure electric pump.

Guest Maj Millard

Yes Bigpete, I suppose it is entirly possible that the elevated air temps may have even changed you mixture conditions, as you would be tuned for cooler and denser air, any flight that you enjoy and you land safetly counts, so it's all past history now anyway. You'r decision to land sounds ok to me. It is tough when you set things up for one range of temps, and encounter others. We have similiar problems up here in the North when it turns real cold. (rare)

The water /methonol injection that GOFASTCLINT mentioned does work, and a lot of the Reno Air races aircraft wouldn't finish the day without it. It's not a free ride but it is close. They also run small water spray bars across thier oil/coolant coolers to reduce temps, but that is probabily a little high tech for us.....................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

More info please?JR

In a basic system you have a fluid bottle, a pump, an on off switch, a spray nosil and a hose. What happens is that as the air is going into a motor a fine mist of water, methanol or a combination of both is sprayed in. What this does is cools the motor down. It also stop pre ignition. There are so many benefits of using this system.

Cool :)

What sort of pumps reqd?, how much liquid and what mix, and Im assuming you use fine spray nozzle 11001?

How long would a tank last? only really need it for climb out.

Any photos?

Stupid question, you are going into induction of engine right, not just evaporative cooling?

JR

Guest Maj Millard

Can guarantee you all, that Lightwings and Storch SS4s fly just fine in 45 deg heat, all day long in fact. What are we going proverbally backwards in aircraft design ?????? Please explain...............024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

What warranty?jr

Well, if it's within the factory warranty...THAT warranty ;>

If it's factory built, it'd likely be an illegal non-approved modification, so that'd possibly void your insurance.

But if you've a home built with an engine out of factory warranty, you're all super safe! ;>