Mangalore Air Show Accident

Admin

• 9 months later...

Absolute Owner, Pilot stupidity.I was there on the day and watched it unfold.It sickens me to watch the total stupidity(read arrogance and ignorance of the"cowboy") and yep I am still an Raaus pilot...... the perp is a deadset meathead!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Qwerty

Somebody on here gave a full account of this a while back. The poster was there and even said that he offered the guy a hand to start the thing the but the owner was a know all and insisted that he knew everything and had it all undercontrol. I wish I could remenber when and where I saw the post. Evidently the owner was a real :csm:, (language appropriate and approved in this instance I assume).

I remember reading that too Qwerty.

The boys at The Oaks said his name was Richard Cranium or something.

I wonder if, and how he was reprimanded for his gross stupidity, and whether he's still flying?

Hope he gets to read the posts which i'm sure are acceptable given the circumstances.

Maybe it should be mandatory at such gatherings, to have a hefty tail peg tie-down, or chocks for hand starts where there lots of people around, at least until the thing is able to idle, and marshals to keep bystanders well clear.

Many years ago there was an Auster which had been hand cranked at Bankstown with too much throttle, and no chocks. It actually took off and flew all around Sydney for two hours before being shot down by the RAN Hawker Sea Fury's at 8000ft off the Northern Beaches.

Here's the newspaper article of the time, it's an interesting read The Age - Google News Archive Search

or even better reading is this one Runaway - told by Tom Ware, NSW

Thanks for your help in finding the proper links Querty and BlackRod

Regards Planey

Guest Qwerty

Planey

Your link doesnt work

I shy away from suggesting more control, regulation and rules, I think we have too many now. The guy did the wrong thing by endangering others and should have suffered the full force of whatever sanctions were available to lay on him.

I saw a Tiger Moth escape at one of the Schofields airshows. It was tail up and getting real light on the mains when it tripped over. If it kept going it would have cleaned up all the drums of avgas stacked up for the show. looked real strange going past with no one in it. Look on the owners face was priceless. Shame really it had a lot of damage to it.

It may be a hassell but tieing the tail down when hand propping works every time. There is always a chance of hopping over a set of chocks.

ozzie