912 Engine mounting kit for Jabiru.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rocko

Well, I'd think that Jabiru would be particularly uninterested in considering the idea, for many reasons.

1. The aircaft was designed and tested for the Jabiru engines, specifically. I'd suggest thousands of hours of quality control and product testing has been carried out with their product, in a minimally modified state, Introducing a heavier engine, with the complications of water cooling, under the same cowl is introducing more "risk" of something going wrong.

2. They probably don't want to introduce a potential issue with compatability, which could affect them negatively if there was an incident, and it came back to being due to such a modification. Jabs are tough, well proven aircraft...as designed, and as proven in the field.

3. And as one of the worlds largest light aircraft engine manufacturers, why would they want to promote their competitors product as a possibility? Bit like buying a Holden without an engine, and whacking a Ford engine in it. Holden wouldn't like it, for all the same reasons.

Rotax don't sell aircraft, so it isn't in their interest to make a product-specific engine. Jabiru make a damn good aircraft, and a very good engine. The products are well matched to each other. It's like most kits...you can stick anything in it you want. But if it hasn't been proven in the field, you do so at your own risk. Why would Jabiru want to risk their reputation on a product that produces a substantial untested structural modification to their aircraft, that is outside their control?

Guest Maj Millard

They worked just fine on the two down at Hedlow field, and were very popular. Maybe Jaburu is afraid thier plane might perform better with the 912 ??.... gee, they might even get off the ground quicker !!!........024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Well, I'd think that Jabiru would be particularly uninterested in considering the idea, for many reasons.1. The aircaft was designed and tested for the Jabiru engines, specifically. I'd suggest thousands of hours of quality control and product testing has been carried out with their product, in a minimally modified state, Introducing a heavier engine, with the complications of water cooling, under the same cowl is introducing more "risk" of something going wrong.

2. They probably don't want to introduce a potential issue with compatability, which could affect them negatively if there was an incident, and it came back to being due to such a modification. Jabs are tough, well proven aircraft...as designed, and as proven in the field.

3. And as one of the worlds largest light aircraft engine manufacturers, why would they want to promote their competitors product as a possibility? Bit like buying a Holden without an engine, and whacking a Ford engine in it. Holden wouldn't like it, for all the same reasons.

Rotax don't sell aircraft, so it isn't in their interest to make a product-specific engine. Jabiru make a damn good aircraft, and a very good engine. The products are well matched to each other. It's like most kits...you can stick anything in it you want. But if it hasn't been proven in the field, you do so at your own risk. Why would Jabiru want to risk their reputation on a product that produces a substantial untested structural modification to their aircraft, that is outside their control?

Not made by Jabiru, a separate company that has noting to do with Jabiru, for the experimental market. It could come as an engine mount and cowling kit. I never hear any one speaking ill of the Jab body but the engine is often rubbished, I bet there is many people out there who love the Jab body but prefer the Rotax engine.

Guest Crezzi
The aircaft was designed and tested for the Jabiru engines, specifically.

I thought the plane was originally available with a different motor & Jabiru designed their own engine only after problems with the manufacturer or something ?

Cheers

John

Not made by Jabiru, a separate company that has noting to do with Jabiru, for the experimental market. It could come as an engine mount and cowling kit. I never hear any one speaking ill of the Jab body but the engine is often rubbished, I bet there is many people out there who love the Jab body but prefer the Rotax engine.

I agree but the only issue with that is I am guessing there is more Jabs in service with schools than there is privately so with a mounting kit not made and approved by Jabiru the aircraft can never be used by a school.

Secondly I would think the re-sale of the Jabs with that mod would be quite low if schools are taken out of the market.

I agree but the only issue with that is I am guessing there is more Jabs in service with schools than there is privately so with a mounting kit not made and approved by Jabiru the aircraft can never be used by a school.Secondly I would think the re-sale of the Jabs with that mod would be quite low if schools are taken out of the market.

If that's the case the consumer of this product would be home builders with new kits or people due for an engine replacement in private use aircraft.

While we are talking schools, I wonder what percentage of Jabiru aircraft are used in schools vs that of private use.

Guest Rocko

Would the increase in cost justify the performance difference? I'd be curious to hear how the 912 Jab aircraft perform when compared to the Jab powered ones. Anyone have any figures?

Would the increase in cost justify the performance difference? I'd be curious to hear how the 912 Jab aircraft perform when compared to the Jab powered ones. Anyone have any figures?

From what the Maj said, they perform well. I wonder if those 2 he mentioned at Hedlow Field are still flying?

Guest Maj Millard

Don,t know if they are still around. They were early models that may have been homebuilt, but I believe they were being used for training at the time. Flew back from Old Station to hedlow beside one, and he just kept circling. It seemed to get along pretty good. Can't recall if they were 80 hp or 100 hp, but I would imagine 80 hp. Somebody out there must remember them besides me.....................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Rocko
Rocko just for an update on your ex machine the Jab motor just failed on a valve at 100 hours......Never heard a rotax do that....

Jim

WHAT???

Damn, any idea why? That thing was kept by the book from day one!

Hmm, perhaps I'd better rethink my preferences for Jab!

Guest Maj Millard

Maybe that's why Jab valves are a lot cheaper than Rotax ones. You get what you pay for...........................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Maj Millard

jcruffle, Put a jab motor in my Lightwing ?. I can see no reason why I would possibly want to increase my take off distance by about five times, and reduce my climb out rate to about a quarter of what it is now..........................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

jcruffle, Put a jab motor in my Lightwing ?. I can see no reason why I would possibly want to increase my take off distance by about five times, and reduce my climb out rate to about a quarter of what it is now..........................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

That would be like breeding a race winning greyhound with a fat staffie lol.

Guest Crezzi
I hate to be the one to point this out...but there does seem to be an unusually large number of incidents with Jabiru motors failing...Or is it just my imagination?

Oooh - the emperors not wearing any clothes 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

• 2 years later...

Sorry about bringing up a old forum, but I can remember a forum that spoke about firewall forward "kit" (non Jab) for Rotax fitting into a Jab.

Can not locate it. Can anyone put me on to that forum, or person/persons who know about "the kit" (I think it was from Sydney area)

Guest burbles1

HEON,

Paul Crowfoot at Valley Ultralights (Warnervale) would help - he's getting a 912 certified in his Jab 160.

Well, there is a Jab LSA55 at Wagga thats had the ROTAX replaced with a JABIRU.

I guess it was a boat anchor on that poor little aeroplane....musta had some lead in the tail.

Any mug can ADD weight to an aeroplane.

Jabiru (not a new version) at Capella, Queensland which is Rotax 912 powered - it's hangared at the Capella town strip

Seen it there about 3 months ago - and no doubt still there

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there all,

Check out Supplemental Type Certificate STC 208-1 of 1/12/1995 under which Jabiru LSA 55-730 was converted to Rotax 912 power in 1996 at Hedlow Air in Rockhampton.

Cheers

Guest Maj Millard

That'll be one of the two, I saw operating there around 97-98. Is that STC still current, and applicable to other aircraft ?. Or was it a one-time STC for the aircraft concerned ?..Anyone know ?........................................................................Maj...