sadler vampire production in aust

helle i was wondering if anybody knows if the vampire will be going back into production in australia.i surfed the web and found an company saying they were going to produce them in camden. I sent an email to them but have not received a response. I think their name in Aero v australia.

thanks thruster, i think that it will go well, if ken can get it started. Best of luck to Ken.The design looks great and it looks strong. The design seems to have a world wide following.

Cheers Dazza former RAAF Aircraft Technician(F111 and Saudi Tornado)

Guest brentc

I think I saw a mock-up of this at an Airshow probably 5 years ago. It was a little rough around the edges and needed a lot of work and I haven't seen nor heard of them since.

Guest Baphomet

There was a prototype (non-flying) at Evans Head a couple of years ago, powered by a HKS-700. Proposed pricing was $50,000. Probably not surprising, its gone a bit quiet.

thats the new SV3, he is still building it at Albion Park, though it hasnt had much work done in some years, which is a little discouraging, i thik he spends 99.9% of his time working on GA aircraft, and does little bits here and there on the new one, he also has several older SV2's in the hangar..

Guest ozzie

The US builder had a display at Airventure included was a composite side by side two seater concept mock up that looked really neat. The albion park rebirth has been going on now for two or so years. shame as it seems to have a bit of a following

ozzie

mine is the SV2, the SV3 has been built to take the HKS 4 stroke 2 cyl engine, has Upturned wintips,as mine are downwards. nosewheel is longer, cooling ducts on either side of the pod under the wing has been redesigned and thats about it, the rest is identical.

Guest Maj Millard

Dropped into the factory at Bankstown years ago just before they folded, they had a nice looking 2 place prototype just about completed that looked real capable.........024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Sadler Vampire

Here's the original Australian 2 seat Vampire which was built before Ken Garland become involved in the single seater.

If anyones interested, it's for sale.

Graeme

1968834211_AustralianSadlerVampire.jpg.4e227dd5993fc3b759e2490d91fc213e.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Maj Millard

Don't know if I would want to spin it, those vert tail surfaces look like they could be larger. Looks like it is undergoing a weight and balance check, wonder what the results were ?.....................................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest TOSGcentral

Two seat vampire.

I got a bit involved with this a few years ago when I was after info on an SV2 I had to test fly and was not happy with. It happened on the Vampire Owners web site (do not know if they are still going).

I wound up tracing the Vampires to see how many there were etc etc and between us all we got a fair coverage – including one which was stolen in Oz and no trace has since been found of it!!!!

In the middle of all this I came across the two seater and became very interested. There are guys on this forum right now who helped immensely in putting the story together.

The following is an abbreviated story of the two seater Vampire.

The original Vampire was USA designed and built. It was successful to the extent that a two seat version was contemplated and actually built.

The two seater was built and I saw photos of it looking very complete. I never saw any evidence that it actually flew though.

The USA outfit sold out and the rights etc were purchased in Oz. So a fair bit of stuff came over in containers etc. Amongst this was the two seater.

More progress was made on the two seater and it progressed to proof loading phase. It apparently fell to bits in the loading jig – so there was doom and gloom, changing of engineers etc.

However a re-vamped (if you will excuse the pun) version was started but had not progressed to flying stage when the Oz Vampire factory closed down.

At this point it looks as though the two seater was sold as a project on its own. This is probably the aircraft depicted in the image given in a post above. To my recollection the earlier two seater looked a lot more like the ‘Vampire’.

The name was changed and I cannot remember to what (some kind of bird I think). A quite large advertising push was made on the project to get it sold on and it was later advertised as ‘complete and ready for test flying’ etc etc.

The test flying was allegedly close but once more I never heard if it actually flew.

After that, I never heard of the aircraft again until it turned up here.

I will make no comment about the aircraft – I do not like the Vampire much. I do not like any aircraft that has market styling considerations overwhelm sensible handling considerations!

I am in agreement with Maj that on MK1 eyeball I would have liked to see a helluva lot more tail feathers on it.

Stats aren't all that impressive. Nice looking machine though. I couldn't see a cost anywhere.

Ken mentioned something around the $50,000 mark.There still are apparently a couple of production supply issues to overcome before they become available.

The two seat aircraft in the photo was designed and built here (not in the US) in Aus by "Skywise Aviation" who bought the rights and equipment of the single seater from the US.

It has flown, with about 5 hours on it by a test pilot and the previous owner in Victoria who renamed it the "Kingfisher".

It was noted, as you have, that the tail feathers needed to be larger than the original single seat ones that were on it. The plane was pulled down to have this done but I am guessing it got beyond the previous owners expertise and consequently sat dorment for many years.

It was registered VH and that registration was only cancelled in Febuary this year.

This would make an ideal LSA aircraft.

Guest Maj Millard

If anyone read my account of the 'Great Arizona air race' recently you may remember me saying the original 1984 prototype was there, but not yet flown. Alan Sadler was also there, and I think the plane only had a four cyl Konig radial in it at the time...or something similiar.........hey were going back a bit now folks.........I believe the single seater has had a pretty good safety history over the years.............................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

• 6 years later...