thoughts on student pilots having a lesson while on holiday?

Guest Pop-top

Guest Pop-top

Hi Guys,

I wanted to gat your take on my little scenario;

My next lesson will be my solo nav (weather has been less then ideal my last few lessons so it kept getting put off) I've done around 4 hours solo in the circuit. I'm going "home" back to Melbourne for the next two weeks and don't want to get rusty.

My question is this: Does it have a positive or negative effect when a student pilots flys a different aircraft at a different airfield as a once off? ie all experience is great, but will it make me feel like a noob again and shatter my confidence before my solo nav?

Also, my flight school and Instructors only want the best for, I'm certain...because they are all just so helpful, but would they not recommend this during learning?? ie until I get my license?

Hy Jodie, deserting God's country eh? Enjoy your holiday.

Flying a different plane isn't so bad, but flying a different type is not a good idea. Flying at Murray bridge i have a choice of 3 Jabs, all LSA55's with minor differences like extra radio' or a cruise prop verses a climb prop. I can swap easily even though they all have different flight characteristics. Now, when I came to YADG for tail-wheel conversion, forget the ground stuff, I was really stressed in the air due to a new cockpit, new flight characteristics, new instructor. There's just too much to take in with a new plane type. I suggest you either, fly the same type, or leave it untill you come back. You won't forget any more that a couple of circuits can't fix up.

I don't think it did me any harm. During my training I flew Piper Cherokee 140, C150 and Airtourers, plus a bit of time in C172. That included 2 different Cherokees and 3 C150's before solo.

The only time jumping from one aircraft to another became a problem was later when Cessna changed the way their electric flap switches worked. That would have been disconcerting for a student pilot but only seemed a stupid trick to me.

Guest Pop-top

Thanks for your thoughts

I perhaps should have been more specific - I've been flying Sporty's out of Aldinga SA (6 different Sporty's to be accurate) and My parents live near Tooradin airfield VIC which I'm assuming uses Jab's.

Do you think there will be a massive difference?

Maybe I am better off waiting the 3-4 weeks til my next home lesson?

I haven't 'officially' flown a Sportstar but I think the differences are considerable and therefore give you fair warning. Anyone got a more experienced opinion?

Well, for a start, based on what Captain has been saying, you might not be able to handle the speed of the Jab compared to the Sports Star.

Seriously, it only seems to add extra training hours if you switch from plane to plane and have to get your eye reference/co-ordination/speeds etcup to recency standards.

A bit of flying on a holiday with an instructor is likely to broaden your experience. Give CFI Ian a call - he one of the best in the business and will advise based on your own case.

Guest Mad Dave

I reckon you would just have to treat it as a bit of fun/experience in a different plane, it isn't really going to progress your current learning (as you have to get used to new A/C which takes time), but it would be good fun to do something different. It's not like you are going to get in any real bother, as you will have an instructor with you any way, and when you get back home you can slot back into what you were doing in the Sporty's

Dave

Guest TOSGcentral

I am with Mad Dave!

It comes down to personal attitude. You are being too intense about training. You are going to be on holiday so just go have a twiddle in something new and it does not matter a damn if you do good well or indifferent - just enjoy a new type and a bit of 'recreational flying'. It is supposed to be fun as well as hard work!

In addition to the J160 & J170's available at Tooradin they also had a Texan which may be worth considering as it could possibly be more like what you are used to.

I am doing the same sort of thing but up in temora i drive up from melbourne stay for a few days do a XXXX load of flying. the weather is better than melbourne. so i can do navs.

Paul

Guest drizzt1978

As somebody who is doing a fair bit or "learning" at Tooradin, I think you should do what some people have suggested and just Call Ian and If he thinks it would be a valuable "Experience" Then go do it and treat it as fun. At least you will have enjoyed scenic Tooradin!... And then you can Rate the Jabiru compared to what you fly in.

Hell If there was something else for me to fly,(close by) Id give it a go.

I Reckon Go for it..

You gotta have a bit of fun on Ya holly.

Yesterday i jumped into an Archer for the first time, and i think the fact that id done a bit of homework on the ground before i climbed in helped a lot(checklists,Cockpit photos for familiarization etc...),Im sure youll find plenty of info online about the Jab's..

Cheers

Simon

Hell just have some fun, any excuse will do me when it comes to flying.. If you learn anything just claim it as a bonus.

Tooradin is a great place just to hang around and watch the very motly collection of aircraft that come and go. Imagine having parachutists, king airs, warbird era aircraft, helicopters and other students in the same circuit.

Oh a few drinks at "wings and fins" watching the cross wind landings after a fly is also a temptation. 098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif

Gibbo

Great atmosphere at Tooradin.

All good replies and no doubt you have made up your mind.

Every flying hour is a great experience and you always learn something extra & valuable.

Different aircraft gives extra confidence so sure it may take an hour or two to get the hang of the panel and flight characteristics but the fact is more flying hours gives you more experience, confidence, self esteem, and always good to fly at different strips as they are different. Sort of refreshing like playing golf on another course other than your club course. Makes you a better golfer than just getting to know your home turf.