Pilot friendly motels, paddocks and services

Gibbo

Something that would assist any pilot on a long trip.

A list of Motels or services that are available at airstrips across the country.

I do a very large amount of travel with work using a Jabiru and have come across some great motels that will pickup you up and drop you off at the strip the next morning. Some refuelers will also do the same with prior notice.

Do you know of any motels etc that are pilot friendly?

If any motel managers or owners are reading this thread and you want to grow your business and help your local economy, I would encourage you to become pilot friendly. An average stay (work) will inject about $140 per night of 'new' income to a town.

Personally my First nomination would be the Western Star hotel in Windorah (Barb and Mark) and the legend herself 'Bub'.

Narromine has devoloped an entire industry based on the airstrip.

Gibbo

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gibbo

I have a Motel in Wagga (www.thelawson.com.au) and did concessional deals for a recent Commanche Owners' Fly-In including a dinner in our Conference Room/Lounge + am doing the same for the Cessna 172 Assoc Fly-In here later this year.

But just between us 2 girls, you would be surprised how unappreciative, disorganised and tight-arsed many pilots are.

We will always do a deal to help pilots, although we are downtown and about 12 mins from YSWG, and when a YAK 52 had engine trouble passing overhead here last year and was stuck in town for a few days, I gave him a room to help him out & so that he wouldn't be stuck in a 2.5 Fleas joint .... and he then paid part cost when departing.

Regards Geoff

This is long overdue Gibbo. I asked the same questions before my last big trip. A couple come to mind. Wudinna, SA, is a nice little all-weather strip between Pt Augusta and Ceduna. Ring the pub and they will send someone to pick you up, usually one of the locals from the bar. Good beer, cheap motel rooms, good tucker.

Another pleasant surprise was Caiguna. Being relatively remote, I thought the prices were very reasonable for motel room, food etc. Taxi up to the back door for avgas!

very helpful

I have never had a motel or B&B owner refuse to come pick me up from a nearby strip.

Usually its a novelty for them and they like to tell there mates about it.The key is the strip should not be too far out of town say no more than 15 mins.

Same goes for them letting you use their computers to check weather log a FP etc they think its part of giving good service.

Chardonnay Lodge, Coonawarra, Brown Bros Milawa(you can walk that one)

Riverside Motel Corowa.

All friendly.

I stayed at the Noccundra Hotel the other night with a few mates who were riding their donor machines around the SW QLD corner and it is fantastic. Good clean rooms in the outback (and I mean outback) with a great meal at reasonable prices and the best thing is you can taxi up to the room and tie up to a post. Just give Don a ring and check the availability of avgas otherwise it's available down the road (120k) at Thargomindah. I told him I'd give the place a wrap...so tell him i sent ya! They are very aviation friendly.

If you are looking for an outback stay, you can't beat it.

Guest Andys@coffs
I stayed at the Noccundra Hotel the other night with a few mates who were riding their donor machines around the SW QLD corner and it is fantastic. ......

I'll second that, stayed overnight there a few years back and while the rooms were a bit rough, the meal was fantastic.

The pub itself is quite old. From a fuel perspective I got AVGAS from a 44 when I was there and I noted that there was normal unleaded available as well. The whole complex is powered by generator as there isnt power from the grid available. Fuel wasnt cheap, though options in that part of the world arent quite as abundant as on the coast. At the time the usual process was if you were the reason for opening a new 44 you had to pay for it all no matter what you needed, fortunately there was about 80litres available in an already opened 44 which was all I needed.

I have a photo of my 230 out the front of the pub against the hitching post and noted that there were quite a few similar photos on the walls inside the pub of other GA and RAA aircraft that had dropped in.

Andy

P.S it was mid march and while the fuel may not have been overly abundant the flies most certainly were. I noticed that flys dont normally fly at 10k ft but when you've a cabin full of them they are just as annoying as they are on the ground. Broken Hill didnt seem to have anywhere near as many, though I added all mine to the local population...

Speaking of generator power Andy, around 10,000ltrs of jet A1 a month was what I was told! Given this though, rooms are around the $50 a night mark and the drinks are very reasonable. The actual pub is owned by 'Noccatunga' Station down the road and was originally built to keep the contractors away from the governesses. That sounds like a good photo, can you post it up for everyone to see?

I'll ask the local 'quality' motel here in Cunnamulla about their aviation friendliness. We seem to get a lot of people coming through here from VIC and SA so it would be great for them to help out the travelling aviators! Of course though, if you buzz the town, I won't be able to resist a trip out to the airport to say hi and give you a lift in. :thumb_up:

Guest Andys@coffs
.....That sounds like a good photo, can you post it up for everyone to see?.....

2 Photo's, One from the Air, in fact just over the top of Noccatunga Stn, on decent (Tully-Aramac-Noccundra) day 1 and (Noccundra, Mt Woowoolaraha St (~45nm NNW Broken Hill), Gawler) day 2

[ATTACH]7607.vB[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]7608.vB[/ATTACH]

I believe Noccutunga and Noccundra are both owned by the Pakers (27deg47minS 142deg 37minE for those that dont know where we are talking about... roughly in the middle of the GAFA...(Great Australian F All)

1157360455_Noccundrafromtheair.jpg.4c6d94cdf7f54ef873f2ca823c90bd5d.jpg

1328902090_Noccundraoutthefront.jpg.4540f1300d2ddc3c18e3198c2720cf92.jpg

This whole concept of a 'live' list of accomms and services with strips or near strips would be a very valuable tool... But to make it useful in needs a template (info fields) that contributors (clients or the establishment / service providor) can post basic information to.

Maybe a dedicated page on this Forum? Admin.??

Guest basscheffers

Isn't this what the AOPA Pilots Touring Guide is all about? Have never seen a copy myself, but from the description, that is what you may be looking for - aviation friendly places.

Pilots Touring Guide

Also available in many (online) pilot shops that allow for forms of payment more appropriate for this century. ;)

I'll probably order a copy soon...

<<Maybe a dedicated page on this Forum? Admin.??>>

A listing like that based on personal experience that would be really useful.

And while you're at it admin, a separate listing that many of us have wanted for a long time:

A listing of airfields that are close enough to country towns where we can camp at the airfield and an easy walk into town for a feed and a beer. It's not always clear from ERSA or AOPA just how far it really is, and many are just too far for comfort, and feel even farther on the way back......

I could supply several good ones to start this list.

JohnG

There have been a number of threads (like this one) where people have asked for places to go and many have contributed.

I'll have to collate them all into a sticky somewhere. It would be a great resource to all.

Possibly go the next step as Chris suggested and provide a template. We'll look into it.

Ross

Guest basscheffers
A listing of airfields that are close enough to country towns where we can camp at the airfield and an easy walk into town for a feed and a beer. It's not always clear from ERSA or AOPA just how far it really is

You can use Google Earth for that! OK, it is easier to have a list to start with to limit your choice of route, but if you want to know how far it is to a town, Google Earth comes in handy. Especially if you've got many airfields loaded into it, from the KML files I posted here:

http://www.recreationalflying.com/forum/navigation/28722-new-database-1465-airfields-all-vfr-waypoints.html

I would like to add another..

Boulia (far western Queensland).

Fuel is fairly expensive but everything out there is.

Boulia Desert Sands Motel. 300m walk from aircraft parking spot, resonable prices and very pilot friendly. They will pickup and drop if needed. A Few helpful suggestions as to meals etc.

Gibbo

Guest Ken deVos

A great place to visit is Asses Ears Lodge in the Grampians Victoria

Welcome....

Reasonable rates, eight cabins with full en suite, central licenced lodge for meals, drinks and entertainment. Rates are very reasonable.

[ATTACH]7828.vB[/ATTACH]

2029021318_IMG_0394(Medium).JPG.1be55aedc101e1fb4aefda8ab0f6a31d.JPG

Guest drizzt1978

Camping and Airstrips

I have started looking around at places to fly into and spend a night or two under the stars.

I am also generating a list of places you can fly too and stay, wineries, bed and breakfast all that sort of stuff.

So any suggestions would be great and then I will post a thread with all the places I have found (about 5 so far in and around Victoria and SA) I am mainly concentrating on the southern half of Australia at this point.

I know we have discussed this before, But if everyone chips in there suggestions then I will generate a list of web address and I'm sure we can get it put into a Sticky....

Guest pelorus32

Here are a couple that fall into the wine etc area not the camping ones.

Padthaway airstrip - run by the local council but appears not to be in ERSA grass strip about 1000m. It's right in amongst the vines and close to the Padthaway Homestead where there is accommodation.

Coonawarra airstrip - run by the local council, in amongst the vines ~1000m sealed also not in ERSA. Close to all the attractions of Coonawarra and accommodation at Penola.

I haven't flown into either of these (drove past the other day) and would be keen to hear from those who have.

William Creek is a great little strip. You used to be able to taxi up to the pub but I think CASA has knocked that lark on the head. Accommodation just across the road and I suspect you could put your swag out under the wing.

Guest drizzt1978

Great start guys, When there is a few more I will putt them all in one file/post for slarti to use, I will also research as many as possible and put any weblinks were needed!!