Pilot friendly motels, paddocks and services

Gibbo

Guest basscheffers
We really do need a listing of such places, based on real experience by other fliers.

I reckon this calls for a Wiki; the only sensible way to keep it up to date and properly organized.

Admins: how about one here?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Boy, you guys are quick!

Yes, it is Elliston. I realized the mistake right away, but the power supply for the computer failed before I could change it. The original post is now edited.

See, there's lots of info out there, it just needs a listing so we can share it.

JG

Kingston

I flew to Kingston SA, 100 minutes in a RV6A from Pt Cook (thats 20k`s out of Melbourne)

Great little place, great bitumen strip and grass cross strip, walk to town no problems but Dennis Borchardt who imports the fabulous Lightning will likely drop you off anyway if you ask nicely.

Food is great, yes and the Coopers on tap was hard to beat too.

Pub was only 35 bucks a night. Lovely old historic stone buildings etc.

Fuel was 2.00 per litre then but has come down since Dec 2008 I think.

I liked Goolwa too but a bit further out from town.

Must look up Elliston on the GE

Elliston

Elliston looks just sensational fellas.

Got to go there sometime, probably via Kangaroo island

Have a look at Peterborough strip if you get the chance , similar distance to town etc and not far from the twelve apostles.

Strip is white metal due est of town about one and a half k

This site needs a list of "Friendly" paddocks where people can fly in for a coffee at their "Own risk" of course.

The airfields section only repeats whats already in ERSA, so is useless.

Don't know any contact details but there is an airstrip right near the beach at Rainbow Beach....I know that Darling Downs Sports Flyers have used it for fly aways and my dad did his Drifter conversion from there...you can land on the beaches in the area too and Fraser Island and its beaches are only a stones throw away from the coast...almost literally. Rainbow Beach is one of the best camping areas in Qld with shower/toilet facilities all along the spit for many kms opposite the airfield...it does get a bit crowded during school holidays.

Rainbow Beach airstrip

I have been trying to figure out the best way to do this and in a way that it doesn't die a painful death along the way.

Any suggestions?

Could we have another coloured flag on the Google Earth Airfields page that makes a "Friendly Paddock"? You could enter the location in Airfields page, select the "Friendly Paddock" flag, enter any details about the place and it will show up on the Google Earth map.

OR, do we have another page for them that looks like the Aviation Terms page where each one is listed however I feel this may die in time.

On a side note I have also been trying to figure out how to do a Fuel Watch page without it becoming not relevant due to it not being updated as well

Any thoughts?

Hi,

Just come back from Mildura, the owner of the mildura

plaza motel($88) will pick you up from the airport and drop you back plus you get a light brekky too at that price.

Bob.

We have just returned from Irymple on 8th & 9th May, on the Melbourne road just out of Mildura and stayed at the Irymple Hotel Motel there for a couple of nights. Rooms were $50 for a double or $45 for a single including a cereal breakfast plus toast with tea or coffee. We paid $40 total for dinner including a carafe of white on our first night for the pair of us in the hotel lounge/dining room about 40 metres from our motel room. It is probably closer to the airport than Mildura. It must have the quietest motel rooms that I have ever stayed in to ensure a restful nights sleep.

The Grand Hotel on the Eastern side of the city of MIldura is a top spot with a large parking area close to it. A feature of our last stay there some years ago was the classic English cooked breakfast with all the trimmings around a large round table in the hotel dining room which was great for the event we were celebrating. The Grand occupies about half of a city block.

The other possibility is Wentworth Areodrome with its ultralight friendly environment including an Avgas bowser operated by credit card I think. It is fairly close to the town of Wentworth just off the highway going NW. Wentworth was once considered for the site of the capital as it was once the busiest port in Australia in the heydays of the riverboats being on the junction of the Darling and Murray rivers.

Wagga Motel

GibboI have a Motel in Wagga (www.thelawson.com.au) and did concessional deals for a recent Commanche Owners' Fly-In including a dinner in our Conference Room/Lounge + am doing the same for the Cessna 172 Assoc Fly-In here later this year.

But just between us 2 girls, you would be surprised how unappreciative, disorganised and tight-arsed many pilots are.

We will always do a deal to help pilots, although we are downtown and about 12 mins from YSWG, and when a YAK 52 had engine trouble passing overhead here last year and was stuck in town for a few days, I gave him a room to help him out & so that he wouldn't be stuck in a 2.5 Fleas joint .... and he then paid part cost when departing.

Regards Geoff

Hey ! couldn't we send a plane out to Wagga - say a rich dude like a plumber or a dentist - and splash a bit of money about - try and repair the damage those tight arsed Commanches and Yaks imposed on Wagga ?!

JM