Got your epirb yet?

Thought I would get the latest model epirb at Narromine - till I saw the prices.

Considering features, warranty, battery life, transmit time, etc, and of course price, I settled on the GME MT410G. Has GPS, strobe, 121.5 beacon, etc.

I ordered mine from Whitworth Marine last week. They said I would have to wait for the next batch to come in. It arrived today. Cost $599 plus postage.

Jack. :) :)

• 10 months later...

Something like that Bigpete I'm pretty sure...

I've got the GME MT410G, paid $549 + 15 P/H for mine... 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif Don't go anywhere without it nowadays...

Am I correct if I say by 1st April 2010 every 2 seat RAAus aircraft must have an ELT/EPIRB on trips greater than 50nm from home airport/strip.regards

No Date has yet been set on ELT/EPIRB. (I spoke to Lee 3 weeks ago)

The RAAus will let us all know well before we need to have them.

Kiwi

I bought mine as soon as they were suggesting they might be required. Pretty cheap insurance was my motivator.

Our club (GSA) got together and bought a bunch of them. The qty discount was very attractive.

Wouldn't fly without it now.

Cheers all, Ding. :big_grin:

Guest ozzie

I bought mine from Ian when he did a bulk buy. I take mine every where. car trips bushwalks, flying. ect. just peace of mind these days just like my auto opener on my skydive gear.

Ozzie

Guest Sharp End

We have the MT410, bought it at the Sydney boatshow in 2008 for $565 and use it for the Airtourer and the boat - registered through AMSA. Great device for peace of mind. :thumb_up:

By the way, does anyone know whether KTI got their approval through yet for their Mini Sat PLB? I tried to buy one a couple of years ago but was told they're not yet approved by COPAS therefore they're not for sale... hmmm. i_dunno

Still not approved as far as I know.

The new Kannad models arrive in about a month - much superior and only the size of a mobile phone.

1089354328_KannadXS-4PLB.jpg.812d3c4c909810b3cfe88138ab8d0604.jpg

1997258696_KannadXS-ERPLB.jpg.17b2fa0e91ae42d241e9df964dd87bfb.jpg

Guest magcheck
Still not approved as far as I know.The new Kannad models arrive in about a month - much superior

Based on what evidence

Whitworths Marine: MT410 Accusat PLB 406MHz[/url]$429.00 looks like a good price to me

Baphomet

Hi Baphomet,

I notice that the GME MT410 quotes typical accuracy of 5km, and the new Kannard is +/- 62m

Could be worth the extra money 032_juggle.gif.8567b0317161503e804f8a74227fc1dc.gif

Regards Bill

• 1 month later...

I will have the need for a PLB soon (how far away are the new ones Ian and what is the price from Clear Prop?) and want to use it for 4wd in the outback as well as aviation of course. My question was going to be about dual environment registrations and whether this was possible. I found the information below at this address http://beacons.amsa.gov.au/registration.html#candistress and thought it could be useful for everyone to know.

Can distress beacons be registered for more than one use?

Although EPIRBs and PLBs are designed for use in specific environments, they are more commonly being used across the spectrum of environments. AMSA's registration database will accept details for the beacons primary use as well as for other uses.

Care must be taken when using a distress beacon for a purpose other than the specific purpose they were designed for. For example, EPIRBs are designed to float in water and use the water plane to reflect the signal upwards to the satellite. An EPIRB activated on land or in a boat must remain vertical to ensure the signal is not greatly degraded. Similarly, although PLBs are waterproof and designed to float, they are not required to float upright so when activating a PLB at sea it should be supported so that its antenna remains vertical and out of the water. Some life vests have pockets for PLBs sewn into the webbing up high near the shoulder allowing the PLB to be supported above the water leaving hands free.

Cheers,

Pud

Personally I am all for the Kannads as I like to know that if I have to have a PLB that it works for the very reason why I am carrying it not because I "have to" have something that is called a PLB.

It is like buying a car that has a top speed of 60km/h.

If by any chance I end up in a lake or dam or the sea etc I don't exactly want to be having to tread water while trying to hold my PLB upright in the air - that's if I remember that I have to do that.

The kannads are the only PLB that float vertically so I am going for that one when the new model arrives in the next couple of weeks and I don't care where you buy them from but give them some thought when buying your PLB

Guest airsick
If by any chance I end up in a lake or dam or the sea etc I don't exactly want to be having to tread water while trying to hold my PLB upright in the air - that's if I remember that I have to do that.The kannads are the only PLB that float vertically so I am going for that one when the new model arrives in the next couple of weeks and I don't care where you buy them from but give them some thought when buying your PLB

There is a note in the user manual for the XS-3 that clearly states:

Important: After activation, the user shall make every effort to keep the beacon out of the water, avoid any retention of water on the antenna and keep the beacon oriented so that the antenna has an unobstructed view of the sky.

The manual has this information in bold as it is clearly important. There is even a picture of someone treading water and holding the unit upright.

The datasheet for the XS-4 also states "Category 2, will not float". What's the new model that you are looking at getting?

I said elsewhere that I got a GME unit that was around the same weight and size (slightly bigger), a bit cheaper and it floats. To make it even better, GME is Australian!

Contact details for GME can be found at:

Australasian Distributors | GME

The datasheet for the XS-4 also states "Category 2, will not float". What's the new model that you are looking at getting?

Well it is the law that they have to float so not sure what docs you are looking up - are they the docs for the Australian models?

Guest airsick

You're right, they do. As per the standards:

"The PLB shall be manufactured as a watertight unit, have a smooth exterior design with no sharp projections, including the antenna and have sufficient positive buoyancy to float in fresh water."

But the Kannad in standard form does not meet the requirements and must be fitted with a buoyancy kit (the XS-4 that is). What this does to the size and weight is unclear.

It is also unclear as to what standards the Kannad meets (I can't find it on their website) whereas the GME lists exactly what it meets including AS/NZS 4280.2 - the one that stipulates the floating requirements.

When I was investigating my purchase I was told informally that the grey letter law could catch you out if you fly with a non AS/NZS 4280.2 compliant device thinking you are complying with the regulations.

These regs state that aircraft must not be flown unless it is fitted with an approved ELT (there are some exemptions such as flights less than 50NM etc.). It also states ELTs which meet the requirements of AS/NZS 4280.2:2003 are deemed to be approved ELTs. The GMEs meet this standard but I can't find any references to it on the Kannad website.

Not being sure what standards the Kannad's are built to I opted not to take a chance and chose to give my money to the local Aussies instead. Plus they were cheaper...

The appropriate references for this information are:

CAR 252A: Emergency locator transmitters

Australian Standard 4280: 406 MHz satellite distress beacons Part 2: Personal locator beacons (PLBs)

The Kannads DO meet the Australian standards and completely approved for use here note that they have been in the business a hell of a lot longer then GME and they are the ones you will find in most larger aircraft as ELTs but that is beside the point.

At Natfly 2 years ago the maritime board (I think that who it was) were there to give advise on PLBs and they agreed the Kannad was one of the better ones on the market.

The KTI with a 10yr battery life has been trying to get certified for the last 4 years but it still isn't simply because of the battery life being more then anything else - I guess the maritime board is waiting 10 years just to see if the battery life is correct 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

The Kannads that are built for the Australian market not the European ones will suit me as I said they float upright and in my opinion the last model was built a lot stronger then anything else but don't know how well these new models are built but they look like they are strong.