Got your epirb yet?

Guest airsick
The Kannads DO meet the Australian standards and completely approved for use here note that they have been in the business a hell of a lot longer then GME and they are the ones you will find in most larger aircraft as ELTs but that is beside the point.

Apologies if I got your nose out of joint. Just telling you what I found as a man on the street when I was looking around. And being in business longer doesn't mean better either, not a good reason to suggest superiority over an Australian company...

As for the floating bit? We have already established that all units that meet the Australian standards have to float. The existing Kannad units also clearly state that once activated they must be kept out of the water. Bit of a moot point really.

Incidentally, I also spoke to AMSA and the only company they mentioned was GME. I guess it depends who you talk to.

Guest airsick

There you have it. They're still not Australian though! :big_grin:

It would have saved me a lot of time and hassle when I was buying mine if I knew about this list. Good find.

The KANNAD PLB’s are re-branded “McMurdo Fastfind 211’s” and are 100% compliant with AS/NZS 4280.2.2003 and AS/NZS 4280.1.2003. Here are some links to the Australian Maritime Safety Authority Web-site which show the McMurdo PLB’s as “APPROVED”:

List of approved models: http://beacons.amsa.gov.au/beacon-models.html#406plb

Standards: http://beacons.amsa.gov.au/revised_standards.html

The XS-4 AUS VERSION comes supplied with a floatation pouch - FIXED – to keep it compliant with the standard. Also, the PLB’s have a smooth exterior design with no sharp projections (Including antenna) and are registered to the user (and not the plane) which means it conforms in all aspects as a personal ELT. (A new KANNAD/McMurdo website is under development and will show the correct Aussie version with the float pouch and lanyard.)

I also believe now that the XS-4 will be the same price as the GME or through Clear Prop may be even cheaper

• 4 weeks later...
The KANNAD PLB’s are re-branded “McMurdo Fastfind 211’s” and are 100% compliant with AS/NZS 4280.2.2003 and AS/NZS 4280.1.2003. Here are some links to the Australian Maritime Safety Authority Web-site which show the McMurdo PLB’s as “APPROVED”:List of approved models: http://beacons.amsa.gov.au/beacon-models.html#406plb

Standards: http://beacons.amsa.gov.au/revised_standards.html

The XS-4 AUS VERSION comes supplied with a floatation pouch - FIXED – to keep it compliant with the standard. Also, the PLB’s have a smooth exterior design with no sharp projections (Including antenna) and are registered to the user (and not the plane) which means it conforms in all aspects as a personal ELT. (A new KANNAD/McMurdo website is under development and will show the correct Aussie version with the float pouch and lanyard.)

I also believe now that the XS-4 will be the same price as the GME or through Clear Prop may be even cheaper

How are you going with these Ian,

I am in the market?

Pud

• 1 month later...

I bought mine (Kannad XS4 GPS) from Clear Prop of course. Sent in the registration form (as you do).

Thought I'd get on line and check if registration had been actioned. It had with the following ERRORS:

1. My mobile number WRONG,

2. My son's home phone number WRONG, and

3. Jabiru entered as Jabiry.

I'm dumbfounded.

Better get on line and check your details......

regards