Airshow 2007

Admin

Hi All

I received an invitation to participate in Avalon Airshow next year and saying that I would receive free admission, meals and campsite if I was willing to put my aircraft on display - I know the CT is nice but...

I was just wondering if this was a mass mailer and everyone got one or whether it was specific - anyone else get one?

Guest Fred Bear

Yep, it's a mass mailer... sent to people who have been before or somehow shown interest. It goes to all GA. I am unsure if the RA-Aus used / gave them their database as UL owners seem to get the invite too.

I met a guy last time who thought his invitation was a "special" one... he flew all the way from Darwin and was rather peaved to find out when he got there that his invitation wasn't so "special."

Sorry I misread - the free meal was at the awards party - so it was a mass mailer!

They couldn't have got our details from the RAA as they are not allowed to give them out.

Hi,

I got three invites, one for me, one for my wife and one for our company ... all of which are on the register at RA-Aus.

Regarding the special offer, I think you will find this is only for pilot/owners of "special interest" aircraft, like warbirds and vintage stuff. Now I know the CTs are special aircraft but somehow I think the organisers may be a bit more discerning who they pass out all their freebies to.

Does anyone know what the rules/courtesies are with regard to flying in for the show, or where to read up on these?

Paul

OK,I'm a Jabiru owner, they're as common as horse sh_t.

(this is an old saying from when there were lots of horses around, must be well over 100 years old)

I can appreciate that their are not a lot of CT's out there, which makes them interesting to a lot of people. My wife thinks it was designed for Noddy and Big Ears. She also thinks it's cute.

regards

Pete - personally I think there are a lot of nice Jabs out there and the 160 is certainly a nice machine for its price - having said that there are also a lot of other nice aircraft out there as well and when someone personalises their aircraft you get to see a lot of incredibly interesting machines and that's what makes shows like Avalon a fantastic place to visit.

For what I have paid for my new CT with ALL the options like Dynons, Ballistic Chute, Auto Pilot, GPS, High Back seats with headrest, 3 Axis Trim etc etc etc I could have nearly bought 2 basic standard 160's but I have always thought that if you can afford it and as an aircraft isn't a regular purchase every couple of years then I would prefer to fly something that I have always dreamt of flying - personal opinion only! My Gazelle has sentimental value and I wouldn't mind having a Trike as well!

Oh, and just for a laugh, the guys at Shepparton say the CT looks like someone got a Jabiru, stuck a straw up its rear and blew hard 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Ian,

I couldn't agree more with what you said. I stretched to buy the J160 rather than a second hand LSA or SP as I knew I had to live with what I wanted against what I could afford.

That's the wonderful thing about Recreational Aviation - its affordable - its fun and satisfying. In some areas I believe its more demanding than GA and in other areas more simple. Suffice to say I can fly cheaper than driving a V8 or power boat. (Sold 200 litres of avgas to a guy who goes speed skiing, he said 200 litres would last him 90 minutes (Ouch!))

If I ever win xlotto I'll have one for each day of the week.

regards

Hi All.

I flew in to last Avalon Airshow, and was treated very well.....

It was a great experience, and I have filled out my forms and will be attending again in 2007.

Only hassle I had was getting out on the Sunday evening.. being lined up for over 1 hour on the taxi way, and the threat of my Avid overheating!!! I also had a Dash 8 lined up behine me, and I was having nightmares about becoming prop chop fodder!!

Next Airshow I believe that there will be an extra runway for us to use beside the main one..

Control Tower were abit slow on the use of numbers and not letters,... think they called me "ultralight with numbers!!!" The boys in the tower said toland short (on a 3kn runway!!) I finished rolling out at the the end of the piano keys...... a booming voice came back at me over the radio and said.. "not that short ultralight with numbers.......!" Go figure.?!?! "Proceed to taxiway bravo..... Made me smile all day.

Camping is provided at the Lara footy ground, and meals can be bought at their footy club rooms/venue. All good quality at a reasonable price. Food at Avalon can be expensive and very bland. Shuttle buses are used for transport, between the airshow and camping. Also the Lara Train Station is just across the road, so one can head back to Geelong or Melb city very frequently.

So therefore,I would reccommend anybody to go and enjoy. I met some wonderful people there, and look forward to catching up with them.

Ange

The papers are given to RAA Aus who then post them out -- that way the data base remains confidential.

All recreational aircraft are considered as special interest aircraft.

Last time I went in my jab SP470 and thoroughly enjoyed it.

It was fun to land at Avalon - special permission was gained "en masse" for us all to fly in contolled airspace.

I agree with everything Ange has written above -- that mirrored my experience exactly.

we chose to leave early on the Monday morning which wa no problem at all.

we were also able to access the trade only displays which I found very interesting.

I have already faxed back my expression of interest and intend taking my Cobra Arrow (the Jab was sold earlier in the year)

Peter

I think it's a conscious effort to emphasise our kind of aircraft at AVALON by the management, A recognition of the reality of where the action is. I remember seeing the early jabiru there what seems like a million years ago& was impressed. We've come a long way since then. If I get any special information I will pass it on in these forums. Nev