Owning a Plane?

Guys, please help me out here....

Last night, I casually told my wife how fun it would be to fly without having to book the local club's aircraft, and not relying on someone's else's schedules.

Such casual talk from me, as on previous occasions for the past couple of years would normally elicit a reply that is along the lines of : "keep dreaming" or "sure, if we win Lotto" or my personal favourite "sure, when we retire.." (never mind that it is 30 years away...).

Well the stars/planets/moon and all the other heavenly bodies I can think of must have aligned because last night her reply was one I have never heard before: "tha'ts nice, how much is it?"

Never mind that I perfectly timed my casual comment about the plane whilst her favourite tv show was on (did i not read somewhere that distraction can be effectively used against your enemy?).

Obviously money is an issue which is why I have set myself a budget of around $20-$25k. I also realise that this will only buy me a 2nd hand plane.

My choice at the moment is an X-Air as it is a nosewheel type, 2-seats, and a reasonable cost.

I'd prefer the Skyranger but something tells me it will cost more than $30k.

So all this leads me to ask all you out there:

a) Rotax engines 503/582 (TBO) recommendation is 300 hrs. How much approximately do these cost?

b) yearly Registration costs?

c) Maintenance costs?

d) hangar fees/rent?

e) insurance?

f) any other costs I should consider?

Please feel free to suggest any other aircraft within my budget as well.

Thank you.

Hi Moy

If you can go four stroke preferrably Rotax.You might get a Gazelle within your budget much better than an Xair ( I have a share in one Xair that is and its for sale $ 4000 based at Cessnock)

Good Luck Dave

Guest bateo

I agree with David,

Nothing against the X-Air, I myself have done 30 hrs or so in them... BUT I would save about another 5-10K and pick up a Skyfox Gazelle personally.

They have at least another 25-30 knots cruise on top of the X-Air, side by side seating, larger fuel capacity, same burn rate, approx. same cost to run, an aircraft that won't lose too much value and an aircraft that would not limit you on a more distant trip away!

In the Ra-Aus mags, you can pick one up for around 25-35 K.

Hi,

I would have to agree with Sam and Dave about the Gazelle but for me the first aircraft in a long time that suits my needs at this moment is the X-Air.

Many years ago i dived in the deep end and paid for that, more maintenance and higher costs than actual flying costs until i built a VP-1 and had 11 years of most excellent flying with only manageable routine maintenance and flying costs.

I think it is a balancing act, planning the most appropriate aircraft for you,what you can afford in time and money to maintain not only the aircraft, your skills,other outgoings like insurance, when you brake it down to cost per hour some aircraft types would surprise you with the costs. Someone on this site did the breakdown of cost per hour for a Jab last year or the year before some time, a real eye opener and i have used that style as part of my evaluation of aircraft types..

Bob.

Hmmm, Gazelle....to be honest I have not considered this particular plane but now lightbulbs are lighting up in my head...

what an eye opener....and "traditional" shape of an aircraft to boot !

thank you, will research on this too.

Guest brentc

Perhaps a taildragger Skyfox with 1,000 hours or less might be something to look at if you're not anti-tail dragger. They are a more versatile aircraft in terms of where you may land and operate from.

As for the TBO on the Rotax 2-cycle, it may say in the book that it is 300 for the crank, however it can be run further 'on-condition' with careful maintenance. 'Everyone' knows that the crank should do 1,000 hours as they say.

Post edited so as to not upset Ian about his precious Gazelle.

Guest bateo

Ian, Can I claim a commission fee if Moy ends up purchasing your Gazelle? For giving him the option of that kind of aircraft!! haha...

Kidding, hope it finds a good owner!

Thruster is the wayn to go but it is not a taildragger, still it is supposed to be fairly easy to handle. I can't speak from experience, never flown one.

The 503 is a good reliable engine, just look after the oil supply and mix. A friend of mine has over 600 hours on one. It runs really well.

Guest Redair

Hi Moy, just a word of warning here, (from someone who has a VERY understanding wife) BEWARE! This is how it starts. First of all they agree to the idea, then this happens.... (True story, it happened to me) first of all, you always thought it would be really neat to have a microlight, (trike) and then you have a go in one. It's great, just like an airborne motorbike. But wait, there are drawbacks, it might not be very comfortable perched on the back for the wife, and then there's the effort involved in fighting strong winds, or being too hot or too cold. That's when you think to yourself... for the cost of a trike, I could buy an X-Air, (I still like these by the way) they are enclosed, have more room, and seem quite cheap to run. There are some drawbacks though... limited range, still can be affected by wind, (the wind, not flatulence!) and don't have much in the way of luggage capacity. And then you think, well, for a few dollars more, I could have a Gazelle, that's like a propper aircraft and it will do all I want it to. I'll just right out my list of good points to convince my wife..... Ah, hang on a minute, there are some things I would like that it doesn't have/do. I know, I'll draw up a list of all the things I want, all I would like, and what I can do without.... oh look, for a few dollars more, I could get something a bit better, (personal opinion here). OK let's start looking for a second hand one.... mmmm not many about at the moment, and for what they cost, I could buy a new kit, for just a few dollars more! I started with a $15,000 budget and a plan to buy a trike.... now I am half way through building a Savannah, (oh yeah, and it's costing me more than $15,000)

So beware... it could get the better of you!!!! Just make sure the plane you buy is the right one for you and your needs.

Redair.

I am dropping the price of my Gazelle down 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif but I now need to sell it - open to any reasonable offer

An auction?? 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif

Shall we start with an opening bid for Ians'....beautiful Goeslikehell?. :big_grin: 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

114_ban_me_please.gif.0d7635a5d304fa7bdaef6367a02d1a75.gif102_wasnt_me.gif.b4992218d6a9d117d3ea68a818d37d57.gif

-Linda

An auction?? 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gifShall we start with an opening bid for Ians'....beautiful Goeslikehell?. :big_grin: 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

114_ban_me_please.gif.0d7635a5d304fa7bdaef6367a02d1a75.gif102_wasnt_me.gif.b4992218d6a9d117d3ea68a818d37d57.gif

-Linda

Method to your madness...you just want the hangar space back so you can put a bed in there for Brian when he is in the dog house 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Method to your madness...you just want the hangar space back so you can put a bed in there for Brian when he is in the dog house 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Damn you know me too well....006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Good luck with selling it Ian. :thumb_up:

-Linda

Guest Maj Millard

Gee if you are the building type you'd have to look at some of the new all metal Aussie planes/Kits wouldn't you.

Years ago I hit the misus up with the same question, how about we get an aeroplane. Her reply "why don't you build one" so I did. She denies to this day that she made that suggestion.

Strange cattle, hard to muster !!...............................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Thruster is the wayn to go but it is not a taildragger, still it is supposed to be fairly easy to handle. I can't speak from experience, never flown one.The 503 is a good reliable engine, just look after the oil supply and mix. A friend of mine has over 600 hours on one. It runs really well.

Showed my wife a photo of Thruster and X-Air. Her reaction: "oh my....I won't fly in one of those. it looks like a windmill "

I think my plan is doomed :(

To date, I have only taken her up on a Jabiru LSA which she quite enjoyed.

I think I have to somehow convince her that the rag-and-tube type aircraft are just as safe as the composites.

Hello all, If I may have your input on the following as well please....

a) Rotax engines 503/582 (TBO) recommendation is 300 hrs. How much approximately do these cost?

b) yearly Registration costs?

c) Maintenance costs?

d) hangar fees/rent?

e) insurance?

f) any other costs I should consider?