High Wing vs Low wing

Guest Cloudsuck
feel like a bit of stir, if your turns are balanced, regardless of high or low wing, then gravity should be acting through th base of the seat. and in non cantilevered high wing aircraft, the lift forces act through the aircraft floor just as they do in a low wing. remember, the lift strut transfers the lifting loads to the fuselage, and its attached to the lower section of the fuse!! so high wings also lift from the bottom .

But they turn from the ailerons.... Nice stir, I bit ;)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Difference

Provided the pilot takes extra care to look out with the high wing, before turning and before entering the runway, I can't see what differences would require anything like an hour in the air. ( I am talking here about the flight characteristics) A low hours pilot should be very familiar with the operation and lay-out of any different aircraft that he/she may move on to, from another. How quickly they adjust would depend on experience and aptitude, and whether the type had any "quirks" that might get the pilot into strife if they were not understood, regardless of whether it was a hi or lo wing. Nev.

Hi AllSince I have only ever flown high wing aircraft, was wondering what the pros and cons were of both? Do most pilots have a preference? Is it hard to transition from high wing to low wing and vice versa or is it not really an issue?

Cheers

Hiya, summer ops in a high wing is much more comfortable, as well as bush trips ie high wing taxi through gates on stations, which if you try it in a low wing can be embarrassing, out landing options are more favorable you clear white post on roads or low shrubs in the paddocks if you have to force land or do a precotionary landing. penalties for all these benifits are reduced visability in the circuit and gerneral handling visability is impaired so it is a must to look roll look roll clearing your turn path regularly, end of the day you cannot beat a low wing for visibility, but you can comprimise with operational habits so you do clear your blind spots, and get familiar to your aircraft and how you need to manage a good lookout, but the main thing is fly what floats your boat. AND HAVE FUN:thumb_up:

......but the main thing is fly what floats your boat. AND HAVE FUN:thumb_up:

Hey Steve - that's another thing. Floats work well on a high wing, can't remember the last time I saw them on a modern low wing aircraft.

regards

:big_grin::big_grin:

Guest Walter Buschor

HI Wing-Lw Wing

That's an easy one. The question is wether or not you wish to die should you flip over on landing and burn! - low wing = toast. High wing = crawl out and run for your life.

having said that I have learned on a AS 202 Bravo - Most of you would never have heard of it , then progressed to Piper L4 and the worst of all - the 150/152 Cessna.

After that the Decathlon and Piper Cherokee Archer and now the Savannah. I loved all exept Cessnas. I still prefer the low wing though. If you never have an accident and aren't adverse to a little cancer and a fried brain then low wing is the go. If however common sense prevails high wing will win ever time.

the grey nomad

C150 is an awful aircraft. I started training many years ago in tomohawks, moved to 150's then quit altogether for about ten years.

After taking it up again I went up a step to cherokees then when it broe on me I moved to a c172. The 172 is a far superior aircraft to the 150. It was an absolute dream to fly.

I still prefer a low wing for visibility though.

Low wing are normally considered safer in an accident, with the pilot sitting above the spar. There is more solid stuff in front of him to absorb the crash. Whatever you do avoid having the engine behind you.

Formation in high wings is hard work because of the usual 'step-down' vertical separation creating lots of unknowns above the aircraft. They are easier to fly 'stepped-up' but that's not usually taught, although it still appears in the USAF formation books. Conclusion: do your formation in either, but if you're going to get serious with it - go low wing.

happy days,

Low wing are normally considered safer in an accident, with the pilot sitting above the spar. There is more solid stuff in front of him to absorb the crash. Whatever you do avoid having the engine behind you.

Unfortunately, history has not reflected this as an outcome in air craft accidents, the high wing structure has proved to be a superior environment to be in, in most situations roll over occurs and escape from a high wing being much easier as well as the cabin structure being much stronger, we should reflect on the escape of the crew from the J230 AT Jamestown i doubt if survival would have been possible in any other construction type, a 100ft stall spin in, and the aircraft was back in the air after a short time, this says a lot and probably supports what is said everywhere if ya gona prang do it a Jab. a close look at accidents will show you better survivability in a high wing in general, this also takes into account precautionary landings.

a proven result in accidents has been ie mid wing sonerai breaks ya legs with the spar, as well as unability to exit the plane whilst inverted, which is why i sold mine and now stick to high wings. end of the day you should fly what suited you, i stick to historical evidence for best safety as well as personal experience for my choice of airplane, then luck of the day comes into play. your airplane should suite the conditions and country you fly ie ability for off field landing low stall short field none of which you can do safely with a high performance rocket , imagine trying to muster with a lightning wow ya would need some fast cow's :thumb_up:

Formation in high wings is hard work because of the usual 'step-down' vertical separation creating lots of unknowns above the aircraft. They are easier to fly 'stepped-up' but that's not usually taught, although it still appears in the USAF formation books. Conclusion: do your formation in either, but if you're going to get serious with it - go low wing.happy days,

We were taught our formation flying in high wing and have a team that uses high wing - its no big deal really the differences - its whatever you are used to. There are a couple of manouvers you can't do in high wing such as belly turns due to the visibility. Its all fun though !

The poor C152 is getting a bit too much undeserved criticism I think! I prefer low wings, but 152s are good trainers and have been for decades. Given the choice (and 1 POB) I'd take a 152 over a 172/182. They are more fun, and there's nothing wrong with going a bit slower - it just means more hours in the log book!

On crashworthiness, I think that is a type issue more than a high wing/low wing issue. Look at the new Boomerang, a low wing with a safety cage around the cabin, certified to a higher safety standard than standard GA high wings.

Boomerang.

The Boomerang is an outstanding exception to most aircraft in that respect. This aircraft should be the standard trainer for the future. Naturally , it is heavier than others for the reson you mentioned. Re the 150, I didn't think it was strong, but time and exposure to hard work has shown that it is. It is very fashionable to knock the C-150 and 152. and I think it is a bit overdone. All in all it has been a very safe aeroplane. Very little of the stuff we have now will do the time. Nev.