High Wing vs Low wing

Hi All

Since I have only ever flown high wing aircraft, was wondering what the pros and cons were of both? Do most pilots have a preference? Is it hard to transition from high wing to low wing and vice versa or is it not really an issue?

Cheers

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I haven't done much, but have had small flights in both types...

If you go from high wing to low wing, it would be a more enjoyable experience than the other way around I reckon, (ie, culture shock):

Low wing, you've got great visibility all around, above etc... in a steep turn you got great visibility of where your going, you can see really well on the ground ie. aircraft on finals etc... In a low wing you got to deck out like your going to the beach! because your in the sun the whole time, if parked on the tarmac without a cover, you'll end up roasting yourself on a really hot day, there not good for farm strips, because the wing is at the level for fence posts etc....

High wing: You haven't got a lot of visibility in a steep turn, aircraft on finals are harder to see, you can't see above you... etc... There great for hot sunny days, farms (I've heard of people going over cattle grids etc) the cabin doesn't get as hot sitting on the tarmac, it's more difficult fueling high wing aircraft... etc...

Please note, I'm only a going by what I've heard, and noticed in my small flying history! there are a lot more pro's and con's of each...

i fly both, low wing tecnam, high wing jabiru, as well as Cessna 172 and cherokee.

in handling department, there is no real difference, high wing is great for summer, but low wing cant be beaten for visibility, especially with the new bubble canopies such as tecnam and sportstars.

some will say low wing flies better in ground effect, but the difference is in recreational aircraft is negligible.

the only real annoying difference i find is refueling and dipping the tanks. low wing is so much easier, no chance of slipping off a step ladder.

Agree with Ultralights basicly.

My background in Jab's and Lightwing Speed indercate seperate issues with both for visibility. I do feel ground effect (the difference) is quite noticeable in the two aircraft I know. I prefer the low wing especially on landing as it has a steading effect just prior to touch down when compared to Jab LSA (430kg MTOW one) and J160.

In Qld high wing or low wing with a "roof" is a great advantage in stopping one's brains (or what remains!) from frying in summer.

Guest Brett Campany

I'm currently flying the Fly Synthesis Texan and Storch. The Texan is a low wing aircraft and has great vis. You can see 180 degrees around you and the canopy is quite low to the cockpit so you really see quite a lot. Ground effect on the Texan is superb as she comes in and settles quite nicely just before landing.

The Storch is also a great aircraft, there's more vis straight down and out which is great for coastal runs and just checking out the scenery. I also found that the high wing aircraft like the Storch is a little more nimble which I like. I also noticed that the Storch didn't drop the wing in a stall, is that a characteristic of a high wing aircraft?

Landing the Storch was a little more challenging I believe die to the high wing, but there's nothing like a challenge these days. It's just what you get used to.

My opinion, get as much flying time in both high and low wing aircraft to get a good feel for the differences!

Guest Ken deVos
[snip] I also noticed that the Storch didn't drop the wing in a stall, is that a characteristic of a high wing aircraft? [snip]

Having been trained in Jabs which all seem to "mush down" in the stall, I was taken by surprise by the rather abrupt wing drop which occurs with the high wing Tecnam. So, no, I would suggest.

Guest Brett Campany
Having been trained in Jabs which all seem to "mush down" in the stall, I was taken by surprise by the rather abrupt wing drop which occurs with the high wing Tecnam. So, no, I would suggest.

That's interesting to know, cheers Ken!

Guest pelorus32

G'day Ken,

is that in approach config - flaps and power - or a clean power off stall?

I've got quite a bit of time in the P92 and the only time I've ever seen it drop a wing was in an approach config stall.

Interesting.

Regards

Mike

Guest Ken deVos

Hi Mike

The aircraft was clean, I remember because there was a lot of forward (cruise) trim still applied with resultant large back pressure required.

It is interesting, because the aircraft is likely one that you have flown, but is now located at YCEM.

I do remember trying very hard with the rudder to keep the nose from deviating as the speed washed off. Perhaps, the wing drop was more to do with my poorly synch'ed rudder inputs.

I think the Tecnam's rudder and elevator are far more effective than the Jab which may also account for it.

All the above is sound advice, but I would add that for recreational flying where a lot of time may be spent at fly ins, the high wing wins hands down. There is no way you can put a tent under a low wing, although I have put a tarp over the wing to use as a tent. Just sitting under a low wing with a couple of friends and a cool one is just about impossible. The other drawback is that you cannot see directly downwards usually. I find high wing pilots see more of what is directly on track than I do.

Having said all that I personally prefer the handling qualities of the low wing plane, this is probably due to the lack of pendulum effect.

Guest basscheffers
I also noticed that the Storch didn't drop the wing in a stall, is that a characteristic of a high wing aircraft?

I my case, it is much more characteristic of the instructor! When I fly with Sarah, the left wing tends to drop. When I fly with Pete, the wings stay mostly level! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

When I fly solo, the wing drop is even worse than when flying with Sarah!

Guest Ken deVos
I my case, it is much more characteristic of the instructor! When I fly with Sarah, the left wing tends to drop. When I fly with Pete, the wings stay mostly level! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gifWhen I fly solo, the wing drop is even worse than when flying with Sarah!

My imagination is running wild basscheffers, though I know I'm reading more into your words than I should ;).

Seriously though, any uneven weight in wing fuel tanks must have a big impact on which wing will drop.

I my case, it is much more characteristic of the instructor! When I fly with Sarah, the left wing tends to drop. When I fly with Pete, the wings stay mostly level! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gifWhen I fly solo, the wing drop is even worse than when flying with Sarah!

That must mean you're a Left-Wing Extremist, Peter a Right-Wing Extremist, and Sarah somewhere in between.006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif;)

The best High-Wing aircraft immune to your leanings would naturally be a trike.:thumb_up:

Cheers,

Glen

The best High-Wing aircraft immune to your leanings would naturally be a trike.:thumb_up:

And if you wanna see if anyone is on final before you enter the runway - just tilt the wing up and have a look :big_grin:

Regards Bill

Guest Ken deVos
And if you wanna see if anyone is on final before you enter the runway - just tilt the wing up and have a look :big_grin:Regards Bill

Isn't that what folding wings are for 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif?

Ah, the old high wing/low wing debate.

I've flown high, low and biplanes, and I started on high wing. Some people say people tend to prefer what they started in, but I don't.

Give me a low wing any day. For a start, the ability to see through a turn in the circuit area is a safety feature in my view. You don't lose sight of the runway at all, and can see through the turn. If the low wing has a bubble canopy (and remember many don't) the visibility is even better.

I find it more difficult to spot traffic from a high wing, you have to keep lifting your wings all the time. I also find that when on the ground stopping at the holding point it is harder to see aircraft on final. You can stop on an angle, but then you can't see if anyone is using the "wrong" runway.

They DO handle differently. Think of the aerodynamics - high wing leads to a "pendulum" effect, which can feel like you are fighting it a bit more when you turn. I'm not talking about a lot, but let's put it this way ... there are many more low (or mid) wing aerobatic aircraft than high wing. To me they just feel better.

They tend to handle crosswinds better. The lighties I've seen with crosswind limits of 20 or 25 knots are low wings. The worst I've seen (with a LIMIT of something like 10 knots) was a high wing.

It is easier to fuel low wings, and ladies can comfortably fly in a skirt without worrying about the need to straddle on a strut or climb a ladder. With a high wing, it is possible to get fuel on your passengers if you have any accidental spills and they are standing behind the wing. It's easier to check the stall warning etc on low wings. Try doing that on taller high wings. Even something like a 172 is hard enough.

I've quite comfortably sat in the shade under a low wing at air shows, so I don't know what all the fuss is about there. However, yes, you there is more room under the wing of a high wing for camping! You can camp under the wing of a low wing, but I think most low wing pilots would either take a tent - or just find a motel!;)

On a nice day in a low wing canopy aircraft, you can taxi with the canopy open, and some can fly with the canopy open. They are the convertibles, the "sports cars" of the air. :thumb_up:

High wings are easier for passengers to get in and out of, more like a car, so they are better for older/incapacitated passengers.

Some country people like high wings because you can taxi between gate posts, if you need to do that sort of thing. (A low wing pilot would probably fly over and find another place to land on the other side!) 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

I do like high wings because it means there is room for more low wings in the hangar! 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Sorry, there are some silly comments in there. Both have their advantages, and I do fly both, but for me the low wing is preferable.

continuing.

From Mazda. I will agree that visability in a turn can be more difficult, but I can look through the ceiling on my plane. Aerodynamically there is surprisingly little difference. The stalling characteristics depend on other factors. (C of G ). elevator travel, flaps. wing section etc.. the thing that worries me about low wing aircraft in the lightweight category is that there is no guaranteed way if getting out of most of them if you end up inverted on landing, and THAT can happen . Low wing aircraft can come to grief with long grass at the edge of a runway, getting entangled. It is easy to go over runway markers. You cannot put the wing down as much in a strong crosswind. (you do not have the clearance). It is not uncommon for a canopy to become partly or fully detached . It is easier to make a high wing aircraft strong (with a strut) whereas a low wing is a cantilever structure, and the cockpit cutout is a giant hole in the tube of the fuselage which has to be "beefed up" around the edge to be strong. You can have gravity feed fuel with a high wing, and the spar is usually in the way with a low wing. (or mid wing which is the hardest of all to design). Just a few thoughts. Nev.

Yenn has touched on a point all should remember regarding the two wing types on final.

Went to a fly in recently which had a lot of arriving traffic comming from all directions even though a RH/LH strip.

I turned base and final after hearing other calls and slotted into final after the aircraft I thought I was hearing (fitted aircraft called).

I was flying a low wing. When on final and the aircraft I was following was on very short final there was a call from an aircraft on final that did not fit into what the aircraft I was following would have transmitted.

I questioned the transmitter on his location. He was following the same aircraft! In a high wing!

Quick conversation in which we came to conclusion I was above him heading for the same spot! Resulted in quick relocation.

The probable cause? I was flying the a faster aircraft and in a faster/steeper approach as I was flying a tight circuit to slot into the traffic. He was on a long final due to the amount of traffic. Being a RH circuit when turning base my low wing would have covered long final, and being a tight circuit he would have remained hidden under the wing as one naturally is concentrating on the aircraft in front of you after looking left. He was in a high wing with reduced visability above to where I was, and would have concentrating on the aircraft infront of him.

Proves the value of radio AND the old saving that it don't sound right question it!

Guest Cloudsuck
Ah, the old high wing/low wing debate.They DO handle differently. Think of the aerodynamics -

Too right Mazda, you know what you are talkng about.

To me I feel flying with my bum (don't go there folks, it is a family forum). With a high wing you are hanging by your head from the wing, therefore, when you're in a turn, your bum can move a metre either side or backwards and forwards and you are like a pendulum on a clock. In a low wing, you are sitting on the spar and your bum becomes part of the wing. It's like you are flying the wing. I can most definitely feel the difference.

It is a personal preference though, if you are buying a plane to spend time on the ground using it as a tent, the high wing is the way to go. If you buy a plane to fly, nothing feels quite as good as a low wing. If you have a low wing and want shade, always keep a handy mate with a high wing (he needs someone to talk to as all of his other high wing mates are off sitting under there planes) ;)

For the record, I have owned 2 x high wings and 2 x low wings. And if you want to turn a low wing into a high wing, check out my Avatar :)

Guest Maj Millard

"No finer way to view the world than through the wings of a Biplane !!"..............024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

cloudsuck. Can you really feel like a clock pendulum? In theory you should not feel a pendulum effect because "down" is towards the floor of the plane not towards the earth below, unless you are flying with the ball out of place.

The pendulum effect I referred to is the plane tending to self balance because the weight is below the wings, rather than on top of them.

Guest Cloudsuck
cloudsuck. Can you really feel like a clock pendulum? In theory you should not feel a pendulum effect because "down" is towards the floor of the plane not towards the earth below, unless you are flying with the ball out of place.The pendulum effect I referred to is the plane tending to self balance because the weight is below the wings, rather than on top of them.

Yes I can, it is not so much an out of balance thing or a 1G thing, it's about your relationship to the wing. To take it to extreme, I came up flying paragliders and in those things you hang several metres below the wing. You can manipulate the brakes to make it swing like a Childs swing. In turbulence, it would do it all by its self. The same with the high wing aeroplane.

To try to explain it, imagine you are sitting in the middle of a playground seesaw. You are sitting right on top of the pivot. You bank left, your bum does not move. If you bank right, your bum does not move. If you could pitch it up and down, your bum would not move.

Now imagine the seesaw is 30ft in the air and you are hanging a metre and a half below it in a rigid A-frame. See the difference.

I think that anyone who had learned to fly a wing (hang glider / paraglider / trike) has a fine sense of feel for what the wing is doing. The trike guys know what I'm on about although they get the 'pendulum in the turn feel'.

You hear it so many times when people refer to Spitfires and the like. They say you feel like part of the airframe and you 'Wear the aircraft'. That is the feeling I get in a low wing.

I think that it is no co-incidence that Spitfires, Mustangs and any amount of military jets, F-16's, 18's, 22's and unlimited aerobatic aircraft such as Edges, Extra's, MXS's, Sukhoi's are low wings.

After flying paragliders, my Drifter, my Jabiru, Super Cubs and Cessnas etc, when I first strapped myself into my Yak for the first time, it was like I was on rails and I was hooked on low wing.