Hi to All

Louie

Have been browsing this site and now joining as I am sure there is a wealth of knowledge and info available. Haven't flown for about 10 years and ex GA looking to get back into it through RA. Looking to build/buy and trying to do all the normal research and decision making. Current considerations are Lightning, Morgan Sierra, Rans S19 etc etc as looking for 120Kts + and weighing up the cost benefit issues. Any suggestions, advice or discussions would be appreciated.

Timing of Decision.

The longer you expose yourself to opinions and get to fly different aircraft, the better the chance of getting the right one for yourself. welcome to the forum. Nev

Hi and welcome Louie.

If you already have the Sierra on your list, you'll find it has the J230 beat in every category except certification.

Easy 135 knot cruise, sports car handling, endurance, luggage capacity, easy build.

I'm biased, so make sure you fly one.

Garry is bringing his to Bundy on the weekend. He's not sure if he is trailering or flying - depends on the weather.

Let's see you trailer a J230!

Thanks Slarti

Sierra is sounding interesting. Have been keen on the Lighning however $$$ start to get out of control. Sierra must be relatively new additiion from what I can see. Do you know if many are flying or in build stage and are flaps standard?

Thanks SlartiSierra is sounding interesting. Have been keen on the Lighning however $$$ start to get out of control. Sierra must be relatively new additiion from what I can see. Do you know if many are flying or in build stage and are flaps standard?

There are 2 Sierras flying, and about 10-12 being built. Two more will definitely fly this year. One of the Sierras is a 4 cylinder (I reckon it's a Cheetah). Garry says if it's all metal, it's a Sierra. The 4 cylinder Sierra cruises at about 115 knots and has flaps. It's a great plane.

I have flown the 6 cylinder, and I love it. You can get 1000 fpm climb out 2 up at 90 knots. Handles beautifully too.

Flaps are an option - not standard. They aren't really required for low stall speed or attitude (the 2 usual reasons), but do make them easier to land.

Garry is building a 4 seat version too - the Cougar.

Slarti, sacralidge....Aircraft are meant to be flown, not trailered. ;)

006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Huge advantage when you have paid for a stand at a show and you need your plane there to sell more.

He trailered to Narromine too. Only way he was going to get there and home.

Dangerous though - he dropped the trailer on his foot while packing up.

Thanks Slarti. Seems to stack up pretty well against the wish list and basic kit about 20K+ cheaper than Lightning. Will contact Garry for some info.

Welcome Louie.

The Sierra or Cheeta are both good planes. The collapse of the financial market stopped me buying a kit, but I am still working on it. Great to fly, very manouverable and good speedwise.

Welcome Louie.The Sierra or Cheeta are both good planes. The collapse of the financial market stopped me buying a kit, but I am still working on it. Great to fly, very manouverable and good speedwise.

Thanks Yenn.

GFC hasn't done me any favours as well....Cheetah and Sierra seem to rate highly and appreciate the feedback.

Louie,

My advice to all when considering buying is, sit back relax and take your time and I mean t-i-m-e to understand your self , your skills, what you want from flying and an aircraft then spend lots of time trying them out and becoming an expert in the ones you narrow down. Talk to everyone and God knows pilots hate talking especially about there own planes.

There are lots of planes out there and making a quick buying decison only to find one months later that would have been better suited could be an expensive and discomforting lesson.

The planes mentioned so far are good but take your time, its lots of fun doing the research.

Thanks Skydog, certainly will take my time analysing all the info and feedback. Main message seems to be gather all the information, take your time and make a decision that's right for you own needs.

:welcome:louie could not agree more take your time at looking and do your home work as the plane that some one else has may not suit your needs as raa is fun and relaxing :thumb_up::thumb_up: why buy a plane that you have to be particular where you go and what you do thumb_downthumb_down go fly all the plane you can before you comit :thumb_up::thumb_up: neil

Guest Walter Buschor

Go the 230 jab.

The others are great too but why would you spend more money?

It's just for bragging rights.

I don't own a jab but do know people who do . they are good AND value for money.

with some others , it'a a little bit like owning a Ferrari. LOOK AT ME !

if thats important go for whatever , if however you want a great plane for reasonable cost the jab 's the go. and no - I do not get a commission.

pls. note: If it's a technam it's the best - they just haven't flown anything else!

safe flying and exiting times!

the grey Nomad

Thanks for the feedback Grey Nomad.

Not a Ferrari look at me type so the Jab 230 stacks up well except one issue for me personally. Being left handed I really prefer to fly left hand on the stick and this precludes the Jabiru for me. Maybe I'm being a bit precious but I feel when you've got choice go with what's right for you.

hi and welcome,

How about the Australian designed and built Cobra?

Looks great, flys well and the performance can be as good as you want -- depending on the power plant. Check out the website www.tomair.com.au

Checkout the photos in the gallery here - just search on cobra

Peter