jabiru 3300 not liking cold

Guest JONC

Anyone had any issues starting a jab 6 in cold weather on avgas.

if you warm the air in the inlet, it fires straight up.

Guest ozzie

Hmmm been watching a few threads on cold start probs with jabs'

next time try cold and check the fuel lines and induction and carbs for ice on them. might be affecting the fuels flashpoint

may be a place to start looking. how's your cold crank RPMs?

thanks guys. Seems as though it is a common thing. Not cranking amps, It doesn't make a difference with jumper leads.

Guys it seems are having similar issues. Has anyone tried aerostart?

We now use a heated blanket over the cowling overnight with with has proven successful

Sounds like a good idea - much more convenient than jamming a coupla hairdryers up the intakes and waiting 10 minutes ......

• 1 month later...
What problem? It had been about -5 overnight when I dragged by baby out early last Saturday. There was ice on all the puddles, and it still fired first go.

So, Slarti, are you running a 3300?

Hi,What starting procedures do you use. I start with 10 sec fuel pump on then off, it starts every time no mater what the temp

Hey Derby.. How many hours TT do you have on the 400? Any major issues with it?

Regards.

Hi Chris, I have 314 hours, The only problem was one stuck ring on no 2 cyl i found during a leakdown test. Everything was running very well still, it cost me about $38 dollars. I asked jab about the ring clearence as it's very tight, they said they new about it, they are modifing the ring groves. My plaine runs and flys very well I have had no problems with it apart from the ring. I'm very happy with it.

Rory.

What problem? It had been about -5 overnight when I dragged by baby out early last Saturday. There was ice on all the puddles, and it still fired first go.

I agree Ross, what problem?

We had half an inch of ice all over the J160 at Parkes in July and she started first shot.

-Linda

Cold starting a Jabiru

Hi Guys, I have found a device in Europe, A carby heater which is screwed onto the outside of the carby and heats the butterfly when switched on, I have no problems with starting or carby ice. I can get you one for about $230.depending on exchange rate. Cheers Jabby:cool:

Guest Andys@coffs
thanks guys. Seems as though it is a common thing. Not cranking amps, It doesn't make a difference with jumper leads. Guys it seems are having similar issues. Has anyone tried aerostart?

JONC

Yes I use Aerostart and it works a treat. Even with Jumperleads, from a running engine (and the earthing issue on the starter motor body sorted) it was still sluggish to start in the middle of winter even with the multigrade oil. Aerostart seemed to solve that problem for me.

Andy

Andy,

Aerostart should really only be used to clean parts and to start diesel engines that are absolutely shagged and are not worth an overhaul. Aerostart will cause pre-ignition and dammage to you engine.

• 3 weeks later...

I spoke to the Engine guy from Jabiru today, as I want to use the BEST oil, he said the straight grade is good, but can cause difficulty in starting during cold weather. He also said that the multigrade 15W50 has the same wear characteristics as the (in my case the 100 grade) and he said the muligrade actually allows better cooling he said "it gets the heat out quicker".

He also said as long as its aviation oil, it does not really matter which one you use, they use shell because the depot is nearby.

I did some quick research and found the esiest place to get shell "aeroshell 15w50" was the shell depot at Archerfield Airport in Brisbane. My local depot got back to me and wanted about $3 or $4 more per QUART.

One of my best friends has a 3300 in his Jab and it needs a hairdryer on cool or cold mornings, even running the multigrade oil. Hes going to buy a brand new 3300 in a crate in about 200 hours, he reckons this will fix his starting woes, as the new motors are a bit more refined.

My 2200, seems ok in the cold.

One of our other club members also has a 3300, he also has trouble in cold weather.

We are all in Queensland, but still have some cold mornings of course.....

Question

Frustrating to say the least.

I was at Caloundra 12 days ago, 6.30 am...no start. 11 deg temp, heavy dew. I purchased a battery pack the day before just in case. Choke on full for the whole cranking period. I removed the cowl to use the battery pack and noticed quite a lot of moisture on the motor. I was about the connect the booster but realised the leads were not long enough to reach (needs two people) The motor seemed to be turning

over fast enough so I decided to wipe the magnets dry, it then started second try:clap:

Last Sunday at Loxton it would not start again, this time it had been stored in the hanger, again plenty of revs. I had to boil the billy and pour near boiling water over the carby, instant start. I run 15w50 oil and the motor sure cranks over faster in the cooler weather than the W100.

Question... has any one used WD40 or similar on the magnet area in a no start situation?

All mods have been done except the removal of O rings in starter.

I trruly think it is a fuel related problem except for the Caloundra experience as it has NEVER flooded after numerous efforts to start.

Any further comments on the above would be appreciated before the warmer weather as no problems then.

Phil.

Has any tried this on their 230D?: JSL005-1 of 1 Sept 2008, which recommends the change to the starter motor earth cable attachment point. We did this to my J160 and it made a difference.. First crank, every time.

If using multy grade oil and the motor is turning over at least 300rpm then may be you should check you spark plugs i know of people that close the gap to 15 thou to let it spark it eaiser, and now dont have any problem, a lot of the time it just the battery is not good enough ( getting old, or not a big enough) I have never had a problem starting ,only on a tired battery.i_dunno