Tips to deal with G force

Guest Pop-top

Guest Pop-top

Hi Guys,

Very excited, have an aerobatics flight booked for my birthday in a few weeks time (gift to myself :big_grin:)

I've started reading things on the net, tips such as:

• Get a G force suit - unrealistic

• squeeze/tighten your legs and abs to push blood upwards and stop you passing out - great tip

• eat something dry - will do

Is there any other practical tips? I really want to see if I can handle some of the bigger G-Forces and certainly don't want to turn out to be one of those people who just cant handle it, I'm a massive fan of Red Bull air race :thumb_up:

Any suggestions would be great 041_helmet.gif.78baac70954ea905d688a02676ee110c.gif

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest basscheffers

Unless you booked a flight in an F-16 you are not going to experience prolonged high-Gs, only momentary ones; you are not going to pass out so put the G-suit out of your head. :)

Straining a bit helps against Gs, but your main issue in dealing with aerobatics is simply going to be the fact you are tumbling around. Motion sickness, not Gs, is what will make you barf!

Guest basscheffers

Forgot to say: I am lucky in being able to handle quite a bit (though never done aeros in truly high performance aircraft) but even if you can't on this flight, don't let it put you off; there is a fair bit of conditioning involved. The more you do it, the more you will likely be able to handle it.

Read/listen to the exploits of Steve Tupper, he used to hurl quite quickly and now he flies long sets in high performance aircraft.

Guest Brett Campany

Breathing out in high G maneuvers, eat some good food, sammo's etc before the flight. Take water but don't drink to much of anything before you go.

Enjoy it!! That's the best tip, just enjoy it mate! :thumb_up:

Guest Pop-top

Hahahaha... awesome responses.

I *think* I'm OK with motion sickness. I've been on boats and theme park rides and been nervous as hell, but not thrown up - a strict diet of 2 Cinnamon doughnuts always calms the tummy. I went on the Superman ride at Movie world 5 times in a row and it only got easier.

My main reason for worry is that I have seen other people get off aerobatic joy flights looking quite green and saying they got tunnel vision.

But you're quite right, I'm going in a Super Decathlon - not an FA18 Hornet (but perhaps I should look into that too!)

Guest Cloudsuck

No worries, sounds like fun. If you have a good pilot, he won't let you grey out or throw up. The secret is knowing when to stop so the pssenger walks away tells his mates it was great and to book a flight.

My first aerobatic flight was in a L39 albatross jet with a mate flying (photo of actual plane attached). We pulled sustained 5g's (a lot) and went for about 15 - 20 minutes. I just sat there and took the g's and did nothing. I was a bit green when we landed but didn't throw up. These days just remember how good the flight was and not how sick I was. We didn't do any spinning of course, but I suspect you will.

We want a full and honest report Thump :thumb_up:

341379887_fighter_wideweb__430x2820.jpg.05d1da3651fdd71961ddb60e3e7a0db2.jpg

Guest Pop-top

LOL I have a great pilot, he's my Instructor so I'm sure I'll be fine and he'll play nice:thumb_up:

Though I did mention in my last lesson during PFL's and making tight turns etc that I'd like to do more unusual attitudes so that A) I'm comfortable with them and B) I know my own and the planes limitations so I can be a better/safer pilot.

...makes me wonder if he may test my endurance a little more after a comment like that 016_ecstatic.gif.156a811a440b493b0c2bea54e43be5cc.gif hahahaha <-- that emoticon says it all I think. Very exciting.

But I will give an honest report.

G effects.

Forget the "G" suit. You shouldn't get even close to needing it. Tolerance would have a lot to to do with your fitness and your age and how vertical you are sitting. IF you are nearly horizontal then you can take a lot of G.

If you are in a Decathlon you would not be likely to pull extreme G. (If the pilot knows what he is doing). They are not really the type of aircraft for that. SOME have engines that can run inverted.ie. Both the oil and fuel systems work upsidedown. Have a good time, (don't wear too much clothing and have the seat belt quite tight and the air vents well open). Nev

Guest Pop-top

Hi Facthunter,

Turbo planner mentioned you taught aerobatics or still do? That sounds so great any good stories you could share?

What was it like when you were training and learning the maneuvers yourself for the first time? Is it the same process as learning things like stalls in regular lessons?

Dexter - 3.3 hours over three days! how did you get that opportunity?? or did you pay with an arm and a leg? Thanks for the well wishes. I've waited many years to try this out and I'm absolutely stoked! so I'm sure I will have a ball.

Reply to thumper.

It was pretty much a non-event. Nearly everyone did aerobatic flight and spins and recovery from unusual attitudes were done pre-solo. ALL instructors would have expected to be proficient in these areas. I"ve met some very good "natural" pilots, as it really shows, in these circumstances. I was lucky in retrospect , as at the time almost no-one wanted to instruct in the DH-82 (Tiger Moth) and were going for the new "tin" aeroplanes, Cherokees and C-172's that were not spinnable, and I being a little different in my attitudes was quite happy to oblige by doing the "ancient" routine.

I have always encouraged EMT and NO I do not train aerobatics as I do not hold a class one medical. IF there was a demand I would consider it, but there must be plenty of fellows out there who could do it better than me, so go and see them. Any school that is providing this facility is doing a good service for aviation. I feel that pilots who have not done this are at a significant disadvantage and less safe than those who have, but I am repeating myself. Regards Nev.

Guest Pop-top

I'm fairly certain my instructor is able and qualified to teach aerobatics, if not my CFI certainly would be, so I definitely look forward to it.

Thank you for the information. What does EMT and NO stand for?

Explain.

Sorry thump. for the confusion. NO just means no with emphasis. EMT has been explained by a subsequent post. There has been quite a bit of discussion of it lately on these forums, and that is a good thing. I believe RAAus should encourage it officially as I believe that it is particularly appropriate to operating U/L aircraft, not to operate to extremes, but to be able to recover from situations and avoid getting into them. Nev.

My quick 2c as a regular aerobatter (can't find a good word for it!) and also take a few people up for their first experiences. As everyone above has mentioned, the way a person reacts varies from people to people, day to day. Some days I can blat around for 45 minutes with no effects, other days I'm done after 20 minutes. Most has to do with fitness and general "health and wellbeing" on the day. Hydration is a key aspect - make sure you're well hydrated on the day.

Wear light & loose clothing. Tighten the straps - A LOT - until they're slightly uncomfortable, after a few tight turns you'll compress a little as will the cushions you're sitting on, time to tighten again - you'll probably do this a few times during the flight.

Open all the air vents and point them at your face - generally people get airsick when they heat up (as you will from the adrenalin) in a confined space.

Be mentally ahead of the aircraft and look in the direction of flight - make sure your pilot is talking you through each manoeuvre so you know what's going on and where to look. Airsickness also comes from disorientation.

As others have mentioned, unless you're flying something very high performance, you won't reach much more than 4-5G or sustain it for long enough for it to have much of an affect.

Exhale and clench your stomach muscles as you enter a manoeuvre - this restricts the movement of your innards - again, something which leads to airsickness.

Most importantly - ENJOY IT and make sure you get to have a go!

Guest Pop-top

G...eoff - Hahahaha thanks for the tip but I'm fairly confident that being a female and unlike yourself, I don't feel the need to research such things. I wish you luck with that one typing.gif.6480b8333d5a827991c46cf7c4016332.gif

Dexter - Thank you

099_off_topic.gif.20188a5321221476a2fad1197804b380.gif

Matt - Thank you for the very practical tips I'll try to remember them :thumb_up: I have a lot of confidence in my instructor and I'm certain he'd want to to enjoy it and gain a lot from it so no doubt that he would talk me through the maneuvours - OMG! I hope I get to have a go :big_grin:

Hey there thumper,

I'm lucky enough to do a fair bit of instructing/joyflights in an S2C.

Best advise anyone can give is to relax and enjoy it, the ones that do get the most out of it. If your doing most of the flying now, then that shouldn't change doing aero's.

And, as the others here have said, once your training is finished do some EMT/Aero training.

Cheers

Os

Hey Ossie. I flew your S2C last year for my birthday. You weren't in town at the time. It was a fantastic thing to do Thumper, and you'll enjoy it for sure.

I did get a bit green by the end (no slartihurlfast) for the first time ever, but I blame the breakfast. First thing I tried was spin recovery, just to make sure I remembered how. The EMT course DF did sounds like the go. I'll have to look into it.

Good luck Jodie.

Guest Redair

If I might be so bold as to add my 2p to the advice, (I say 2p as this happened a long time ago in the UK) do not, and I can't stress this enough, do not try to see how many cups of coffee and how many cheese burgers you can eat before doing aeros, well not the first time at least! We used to fly in Chipmunks and "Denny" burgers, (so called after the poor chap who would use the paper bag before he even got off the runway) together with vast amounts of RAF coffee were consumed before about a 30 minute aero session. Anyone who could come back with the sick-bags unused was a hero, and whoever filled the most, got the bill for the burgers!!!

That said, the following might be of use.

Breathe... you'd be surprised how many people get sick because they hold their breath, or start panting with excitement or fear, (your choice!).

Breathe out and tense your stomach muscles at the same time to counter +G.

Tensing the buttocks can also help, but depending on the type of aeros, this might be an involuntary reaction!!!!

Keep a good look outside and move your head around , pick a point and fix on it, (like a spinning ice skater). Don't stare at the instruments, (unless you are flying it!!).

Every now and then look at your hands.... then unclench them... relax.

Most important... Enjoy!

Then you can book for a Warbird Dog-Fight down at Goolwa.

Regards, Redair.

Guest Cloudsuck
G force - G spot.... thats a mistake anybody could make.008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

I thought the G-Spot was the spot at the MCG where the umpire bounces the ball!

G...eoff - Hahahaha thanks for the tip but I'm fairly confident that being a female and unlike yourself, I don't feel the need to research such things. I wish you luck with that one typing.gif.6480b8333d5a827991c46cf7c4016332.gif

Dear Thump,

It all stemmed from an honest attempt to respond to your question, but got twisted by the use of a search engine with one thing on its mind.

I ipodogise if anyone has stolen a fence as a result.

Kind regards (and I think I have found it) G ........................... eoff

Guest Decca

Quote: but got twisted by the use of a search engine with one thing on its mind.

We all know that should read “…the twisted mind of the search engine user (with one thing on his mind).”006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif