Tips to deal with G force

Guest Pop-top

Dear Thump,It all stemmed from an honest attempt to respond to your question, but got twisted by the use of a search engine with one thing on its mind.

A search engine called The Rat With The Golden Tooth

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thumper, I'm looking forward to a report on your aerobatic flight. Have fun.

There used to be an aircraft accelerometer called a G-Spot, then rebadged as the DA-55 by EZE Technologies. I had one fitted to a Pitts - it was useful to have a complete electronic history of g levels.

Guest Pop-top

Hahahahaha... ahhhhh poor Captain Geoff, that was either one of the most unfortunate Freudian slips/typos that I've ever seen or a joke that back fired and he'll never hear the end of it 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

At the risk of sounding childish (though I'm sure you guys can understand better than anyone how excited I am right now) 12 MORE SLEEPS!

Went to check out the whales down at Goolwa/Victor Harbor on Saturday during my regular lesson with my Instructor and did some very tight turning to get some snaps of the baby whales. Loved it! My tummy didn't even churn so I'm hoping it's not too different upside down :big_grin:

Guest Pop-top
I heard a call about the whales when on my nav during my flight test. Arrgg! I would love to have popped over!

Ooooo... how'd you go?? I saw you, Karen and one other guy doing your walk arounds on 5571, 5572 and 5573 so I ended up in 4501 then got swapped to 4399 at the last minute. That would have been Leo talking to Cirrus OCT I think :big_grin:

The Whales are in season so I'm sure you could go visit them as soon as you pass your rec, which wont be long! Good luck and let me know how it goes!! See you Saturday if you're around.

I didn't get to finish it. ran out of time and fuel was getting a little low. I wasn't in my best form but then I _really_ tense up during tests, my thighs got sore! I wrote about the test in a bit of detail in the student/training forum on this site. :-)

I am not happy with my cross winds so I just booked a normal lesson just to focus on those for this Saturday at 3pm. See ya there!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Pop-top

Well....still no report to be made.

Monday morning was a no go (obviously, with the gailforce winds, rain and hail) Rescheduled for Tuesday....no better luck.

Now just waiting for a call, for which I'd gladly drop everything I was doing and run to the airfield if I had to!!!

By the way...I have a rather big issue. I seem to be out of favour with the weather gods...CONSTANTLY! I'm not just talking about because it's winter. Over the past 2 years of flying I have had to cancel almost >50% of my lessons. My instructors seem to think it's quite funny and they're considering telling other students not to bother booking if im already booked for a lesson that day.

Does anyone know if there is some kind of temple I should be bowing down before??? or some sort of offering I can give to the weather gods....coz at this rate I'll never be a licensed pilot!!!!

045_beg.gif.b05ea876053438dae8f282faacd973d1.gif

Guest Qwerty

Hi Thumper, know how you feel. Have a look at the wind record for low head (TAS) on the BOM site. There are no readings below 19 kn on record. It has just been blowing for the last three weeks.

Hmmmmmm and he waits...... 086_gaah.gif.afc514336d60d84c9b8d73d18c3ca02d.gif

Does anyone know if there is some kind of temple I should be bowing down before??? or some sort of offering I can give to the weather gods....coz at this rate I'll never be a licensed pilot!!!!045_beg.gif.b05ea876053438dae8f282faacd973d1.gif

Yes you will.

Not only that but you'll be one of the best pilots because you've been through most of the curves that weather throws at you compared to those who may have done it all in a very short time in calm conditions.

However, don't tell anyone, but Qwerty caused all this.

Guest Pop-top

Hahahahaha.... I think that this emoticon, used by qwerty, pretty much sums up the feeling:

086_gaah.gif.afc514336d60d84c9b8d73d18c3ca02d.gif

But you can definitely see why some people reach for bigger planes and IFR when the damned clouds are always looming ominously thumb_down (the wind can't be helped though)

Guest Redair
Does anyone know if there is some kind of temple I should be bowing down before??? or some sort of offering I can give to the weather gods....coz at this rate I'll never be a licensed pilot!!!!

045_beg.gif.b05ea876053438dae8f282faacd973d1.gif

It's far more simple than searching for ancient temples.... all you have to do is buy a plane, (in kit form) and spend all the time and money which you would normally devote to flying lessons, on building the plane... then just watch the weather, it'll be pefect flying conditions all the way. Just don't go and spoil it by saying you'll go flying at the weekend!!! That's how I managed to control the weather, so chances are, that it'll work for you too:laugh:

Redair.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Pop-top

WELL!

My big day finally came :big_grin: this morning to be exact!016_ecstatic.gif.156a811a440b493b0c2bea54e43be5cc.gif

It was everything I had hoped and waaaaaay more!!! :big_grin:

Intro to aerobatics .8 in the log book :big_grin:

I'll dot point it for you, because heavens knows, I could go into complete detail of every time I inhaled or had the urge to woop "hell yeah!" ...

so here goes:

• Sat in the front of the Super Decathlon (but I refer to him as "skills" for short :big_grin:)

• had a brief, instructor in the back

• taxied to 36 (for which I made an over excited radio call stating "Indigo" instead of "India"025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif Whoops!)

• Did what I'm assuming was a rather assisted take off and headed down the coast (first time in a tail wheel though my instructor knows my skill level pretty well by now)

• (ever seen the cartoon movie "BOLT"? well at this stage I was that little hamster "LET IT BEGIN!!!! LET IT BEGIN!!!!" - only on the inside, of course, wanted to appear professional and mature on the outside 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif)

• sooo... we did multiples of the following: barrel roles, loops, hammer heads, inverted flying, spins, snap roles - not sure if they are called this, aileron roll, 1/2 cuban 8, wing drops, weightless flying - I KNOW, way to start a party, right!? I was loving it!!! unsure if we did others that I cant remeber the names of but that was the bulk of it.

• In between all of those I did 3 barrel rolls, 2 hammer heads (THE best way to throw a 180 by the way) and 2 loops, myself (I say I did these myself coz it makes me sound awesome, lol :big_grin: though I'm pretty certain they were assisted and if nothing else followed through)

• I flew the circuit and the instructor landed on 32, bit of crosswind.

• refuelled my new favourite plane and put it back to bed :big_grin:

So thats my report!

Cant believe I'm estimating another 5 years til I can afford to have a PPL and tailwheel endorsement and can actually get in their again for some lessons.

I think this high will last a very long time 016_ecstatic.gif.156a811a440b493b0c2bea54e43be5cc.gif

Guest Pop-top

Thanks Dexter :)

I know, Djpacro...:big_grin: I think it's too late!

My instructor said when I got out; don't waste your money, wait til you've got all the other bits and pieces ie PPL, tail wheel etc then the aeros can be more of a focus.

Do they have many aerobatics competitions in Australia? - or locally in Adelaide? I would love to go see one - Been to Redbull, big fan. Unfortunatly cant make it to Perth red bull next year April 17 and 18.

016_ecstatic.gif.156a811a440b493b0c2bea54e43be5cc.gif...yeah ... I'm still competely hyped!!

Thanks for sharing your experience Thumper. I read the tread with great interest. Hope to do it one day. 100% agree that experienced and safe pilot should have done it and gotten a hold of it. Also it sounds like sooo much fun and excitement!! :-) Congratulations!

Viktor

Guest Pop-top

Hi Guys, thanks for the encouragement!

slartibartfast: My family all live back in Vic, but don't worry, I didn't forget my Dad. I'd already mailed him a gift and I skyped (video called) him last night so see how his day had gone :big_grin:

Djpacro: I just realised that you fly a Decathlon out of Moorabin! I'm not sure how old you are, but there's a small chance you met my Grandpa, Robert "Bob" Davis. Rumour has it he owned the first aerobatics plane at the field or taught it...not sure. He's much older now and I never got the chance to fly with him.

Do you have more info or a link about the NSW championships? - or better yet, Is anyone flying from Adelaide there who I can copilot for and split costs that you know of? :big_grin:

Thx1137 - Hey Steve, you would totally LOVE IT! my legs felt like lead and I was so nervous I couldn't stop yawning (odd I know, but thats how I react to nerves)

Viktor - Hi Viktor, thank you. Worth every penny! Much cheaper if you can do it as a lesson rather than a joy flight, I think. So I was absoloutly thrilled to be sitting up front handeling the manifold pressure, RPM etc. :big_grin:

This is an experience EVERYONE should have on their bucket list!, even if you're not a thrill seeker, cast iron stomach or flying nut.