Radio

Guest Redair

Guest Redair

Greetings each, I am looking towards the time, (in the near future I hope) where I will be ready to purchase a radio for my panel. So, in view of that, could I please ask for a show of hands, (electronic ones obviously) as to who owns a Microair and who owns an X-Com, and any comments on good/bad points of either/both radio. Then perhaps I might be in a better place to make a decision.040_nerd.gif.a6a4f823734c8b20ed33654968aaa347.gif

Many thanks, Redair.

Hi Redair,

I have an Xcom radio and have had no problems with it. I find it easy to use and , as with the Microair 760, it mounts in a very small area. I have no experience with the Microair but believe they are very much of a muchness performance wise. I have heard people say that the Xcom is a little easier to use in flight. I think both would pewrform admirably for you.

Cheers

Maynard

Guest Maj Millard

Microair here, VHF and TX. people tell me all the time how clear the radio is. Came in the plane so nothing to do with me. Absolutly beautifull transmit and recieve and easy to use in flight. Extremly happy. I do use a pair of Xcom headsets (the cheapies) because I needed them, and was broke at the time. They seem to be standing up ok to lots of use, and are very comfortable...................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Microair 760 here also.

Been a great radio even though I had to have a circut board replaced a few years back partially caused by myself having the radio on while cranking the starter, not a good thing spiking the radio. (very good service from microair in fixing and returning it to me)

Very clear both ways transmitting and recieving, a lot better than some of the hand held types some mates use.

I have no complaints with this radio.

Cheers

Alf

Guest Redair

Thanks for the replies. I am hoping to connect a UHF to the VHF, (I live and work in farming country, so being able to let the neighbours know that I'm about to drop into their paddocks, will be helpful) and I see from the websites that both Microair and

X-Com, do a hook-up for the 2 radios.

As for headsets... I too have an X-Com which seems comfy enough, though I did have a nasty buzz when I tried it in a Jabiru fitted with a Microair. Not sure if it was the headset, or the radio, or something else. So I am considering buying a package, including headset, (Altronics) and keeping the X-Com set for spare/Pax.

Looks like there are just too many choices to be made, and I would really like to get it right first time, and save myself agro and expense.

Redair.

Microair have just released their new version Rev Q Transceiver.

They have the Rev Q units in stock. All combo kits and orders will be filled with this revision transceiver.

There are NO price alterations – just more features.

See the attached brochure

M760 Rev Q Brochure 01R3.pdf

Guest Redair

Thanks Ian, now I have even more to consider!!!!! May I ask, do you use Microair or X-Com, or something else?

Redair.

Thanks Ian, now I have even more to consider!!!!! May I ask, do you use Microair or X-Com, or something else?Redair.

Redair, I personally wouldn't touch xcom even if you gave me one and from what I have heard the Microair seems to be leading the way now - it is Australian made and supported by a respected company so you can always be sure of getting accurate information by simply ringing the factory.

In my Gazelle I have an icom and in both of my CTs I have had Garmin - they are a very nice unit but pricey and rectangular.

Guest Walter Buschor

Thats a no brainer - X-Com of course. Never had a problem and it's loud and clear.

Guess that people who bought Microair support this product ( they don't know any better thumb_down) and people who bought X-Com support this product. - ( they do know better !:thumb_up:) .

This will stir the pot.

so go X-Com all the way and talk loud and clear !

the grey Nomad

Microair - I have no complaints with these. I have two VHFs and transponder. The standard headsets that come with the installation. Only 100hrs up but no problems overall.

Had some transponder noise getting into Com 2 - shifted the location of the transponder lead from being wire tied to the VHF cables and this shifted the interference from Com 2 to Com 1.

Replaced the Transponder lead with new coax and located the coax as far as practicable for the transmitter leads and problem gone.

I opted for 2 VHF radios for (a) redundancy &

(b) I do a fair bit of controlled airspace flying and in rough weather the small knobs can be a bit fiddly

Finally it is up to you and there are many options - I have no complaints about Microair - well to date at least.

Frank

Guest Redair

Thanks all for the info... I reckon I know which way to go now. Next step is to start checking out who has the best deals.

Regards, Redair.

I used to use an Icom A22E for a few years but got sick of not being able to be heard by other aircraft any more than about 15 miles distant. Maybe that radio was just getting old and tired.

Last year I upgraded to a Microair M760 and can now be heard by other aircraft up to about 100 miles away and sometimes further.

I wouldnt want to push anyones barrow but if I was in the market for a round hole radio I'd be taking a punt on a couple of these:

FLIGHTLINE FL-760 TRANSCIEVER from Aircraft Spruce

I say a couple because that way you can afford for one to go belly up and still be ahead. Which has happened to us repeatedly with (previous) local contenders. Also worthy of consideration is the MGL series, but I dont like membrane button keypads for controls where a knob does best.

When it comes to rectangular panel radios, My choice is Icom then Bendix or Garmin.

The other consideration often made on cost and style is headsets is very variable. There has been a myriad of difficulty with Alltronics here so the standard cure is now DRE. I'm not sure if they are specially better than others.

Personally I dont use DC but they are very reliable and well liked by those that do. I just buy in PCA (pacific coast avionics) branded clones for parts (gel earpads and electret mics mainly) to keep my older generic Mil-style Heli-style ones going. I have fitted Headsets Inc. ANR kits and these are a good value conversion. Look for firm cables and good mic attachment system that can take the standard mic connector some of these stalk type mics fall off on notime

Ralph