Long nav from Sydney to ayres rock

Ultralights

Hello everyone, today is my first day in planning a trip from sydney bankstown airport to ayres rock in a J230. I am at the initial track planning and have all the WAC charts on the floor. So far I'm thinking ysbk to broken hill, then onto Cooper peedy, then onto ayres rock. What do you think? What would you suggest? What route would you take? Where would you stop for fuel? Overnight? I'm planning on taking 2 weeks over christmas. I have no leave so it has to be over Christmas. What leg length would you plan in a j230?

Initial track so far- ysbk-orange-parks-condobolin-Ivanhoe-broken hill-Leigh creek-maree-william creek-Cooper peedy-indulkana-mt cavanagh-curtain springs-ayres rock.

Thanks in advance.

Guest Andys@coffs

In my J230 I fly direct from Gawler to Narromine which is about 4.5hrs....thats enough for a single leg.

Usually Im enroute to Grafton and I have trouble getting back in the plane in under an hour, not because it isnt possible just cant make my butt do it :<)

I just loooked Gawler to Narromine 498nm Bankstown to Broken Hill 496nm

With the current jetting and fuel useage thats about as far as you would want to go in that country before topping back up to full.

Andy

G'day. Hope you enjoy your trip. I am planning a similar distance trip inabout six weeks. My wife and I are flying form Kununurra WA to Broken Hill in a technam P92 super echo. Plan to take 3 / 4 day and enjoy the scenery. Have planned legs of no more than roughly 2.5hrs at a time. Done this for a couple of reasons, (a) fuel stops (always nice to have the glass half full rather than half empty. (b) nice to stop for a chat,cuppa and stretch the legs and keep the mind alert.

I get as much pleasure out of planning a trip as the actuall trip itself, hope you do as well .

Regards Bruce

Hello everyone, today is my first day in planning a trip from sydney bankstown airport to ayres rock in a J230. I am at the initial track planning and have all the WAC charts on the floor. So far I'm thinking ysbk to broken hill, then onto Cooper peedy, then onto ayres rock. What do you think? What would you suggest? What route would you take? Where would you stop for fuel? Overnight? I'm planning on taking 2 weeks over christmas. I have no leave so it has to be over Christmas. What leg length would you plan in a j230? Initial track so far- ysbk-orange-parks-condobolin-Ivanhoe-broken hill-Leigh creek-maree-william creek-Cooper peedy-indulkana-mt cavanagh-curtain springs-ayres rock.

Thanks in advance.

G'day UL,

I'm hoping to get away in my 230 late next week to do a 5 - 7 day sweep around the Dinosaur discoveries and displays in central Qld (Longreach, Lark Quarry, Winton, Hughenden etc).

I reckon that 2.5 - 3 hours are nice easy stints in a 230 ... while 4.5 hrs is manageable if you HAVE to.

Look forward to seeing a report on your trip.

Regards Geoff

• 6 months later...

planning is paused at the moment, departure date is June Long Weekend, and estimate to take 3 weeks total there and back, including at least 3 days at Uluaru.

the aircraft will be a J170 so we are in the stage of buying super light weight camping equipment and practicing packing very light as 2 up full tanks in the 170 doesnt leave much baggage weight available.

locked in so far is the track, as mentioned in the first post, very small laptop with telstra 3g iphone as modem for planning weather and flight plan submissions

the trip to temora coming up will be a trial packing trip.

Guest Sharp End

Hey Ultralights,

Ms M and I bought a lightweight tent from K-Mart - "Stockman" brand for our trip to Evans Head. Really good little tent and cheap as... bit "friendly" if you're sharing with a co-jo not a co-hab but.

099_off_topic.gif.20188a5321221476a2fad1197804b380.gif Go as soon as you can as it's not often the centre has as much water around as it does right now!

S-E

Ultralights,

We will be at Temora for the flyin. Would be happy to show you what camping equipment and other bits and pieces we will have in the 160, and how we travel with it.

Our tent is about 5kg

Sleeping bags are about 2-3kg and the rest is clothes.

When we flew up to Narromine last year, the 160 handled the gear really well.

-Linda

Hey Rob, I think June is a much smarter option than Christmas time. We were told by Northern Territory Tourist Guide that you should only travel the top end between June & August. Either too hot or too wet the rest of the time. However make sure you have lightweight warm gear for night time.002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

Sleeping bags are about 2-3kg and the rest is clothes.

Talking about sleeping... what type of bedding do you use? ie, mattress.

It's worth having a stop at Arkaroola in the northern Flinders Ranges. Very aviation friendly, good people, with a wealth of local knowledge. They have accommodation from camping to motel rooms, restaurant, pool, and TWO observatories! There is a strip, they operate an Auster and a C207. Google Arkaroola and you'll find the information.