Dairy Farmers

DKM1

Hi how many members are dairy farmers out their. Got my first milk cheque for the season yesterday and got a hole $0.23 cents a litre after the factory take out their cut.

At this rate I'll never get a new set of wings are eat.

049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif Daniel

It's good, but disappointing, to get grass roots info like this Daniel.

Why don't the processors & supermarket chains just buy your property, stock & equipment & pay you guys an hourly rate x 24 x 7. You might even be better off.

Regards, Decca.

I'm with you guys.

Daniel.

I bet you were getting more before the industry was de regulated.

I gave it away in 1961, when I left the UK. We were getting 16 pence a gallon then and wages were the equivalent of $25 a week That would equate to about $155 going into wages. Who would work for that 7 days a week. Not me, better to become a pilot.

Hi Daniel,

I'm a dairy farmer.

Luckily my decision to learn to fly and purchase my trike coincided with better times in the industry.

It sure is tough going to work each day knowing that every day you are getting further and further behind financially. The only way I can justify it is by taking a long term view, the problem is you don't know until several years later whether your efforts where worth it or not.

The milk price would be much easier to manage if it would just rain occasionally, not a problem your having down there on the mainland according to Querty.

Getting an interest off the farm (flying) has been a revelation for me, it makes a lot of problems seem much smaller.

Who do you supply ? We are Murray Goulburn

Regards Bill

Hi Bill

We supply to Fonterra and yes at least the weather is on our side at the moment, well hope it stays that way. Haven't been flying for a while, but it is a great outlet to just switch off relax and focus on being airborne:thumb_up:

Regards Daniel

P.S hope your have good season

Amazing, how crappy! you only get 25c a litre. i actually paid attention to how much i paid at the store yesterday for a litre. just under 3 bucks. takes 10 minutes to try and find the real thing most tastes like it's just water. At home in the Hunter we have several dairy farms nearby but the milk in the local shop comes from Victoria. don't figure!. When young i used to give my grand dad a hand to milk the couple of house cows he had, on a cold morning i'd make us some tea and go over to the cow and squirt some milk straight in and i loved to skim the couple of inches of yummy cream off the top and put it on the gramma pie nan used to bake for me yum yum i miss real food

i suppose all our farmers get paid a pittance for their hard work while greedy woolies and coles make the big bucks. pretty sad situation.

hang in there mate the city folk need you guys

Don't talk about the taste of milk. Nothing like the real thing. It is illegal to sell un pasteurised milk for human consumption, so nobody gets the real thing and why is skim or low fat milk, as it is called dearer than full cream. At least the cows still look good from up at flying height.

I had the game sorted here last year. I would go down to the dairy farm near home and just ladle 5 litres of fresh milk out of the chilled storage vat into a bucket with a lid. The farmed was happy with 50c a litre, I'd leave $3.00 for my 5 litres. I was happy, the farmer was happy and coles can go and root thier boot. I should get off my bum and get the transport sorted again.

Its a thought for anyone who lives near a dairy....just ask.

Typical agricultral situation.

Farmer sells cattle for $1.72 per kilo after spending $$$$ getting them to a saleble size. Pays $200 per head to get it to the sale yard. Bigger company comes along and fattens them for 100 days and doubles their weight and then on-sells them to a related meatworks.

mmm from $1.72 per kilo (live) to $28.99 per kilo (dead - Current price for topside at Coles - Pakenham Vic) at the supermarket. I still have problems buying dog bones at $5 per kilo when in the past they were sent to the blood and bone factory and the butcher got 9c per kilo for them and usually threw a couple in for the regular customers.

I understand that some of the weight is lost to production but EVERY single piece of the beast is used in some form or another. Glue anyone?

Woolworths / Coles / Aldi all have something to answer for, considering they own the entire processing chain. mmm Woolworths oil refining company.

Oh... Old cows are tough as hell as well so that makes dairying even less viable (macca's anyone). XXXXX of a job that should be paid correctly.

Gibbo

just watching the French news on SBS. they had a heap of angry french dairy farmers spraying milk from hundreds of trucks all over their fields. my French is limited but pretty sure it was all about getting bugger all for it.

, I don't think too many of us could afford that either & of course the flooddgates would open with cheap slave labour imports.

That's the real problem! go broke by farming... or go broke by not farming!!031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif

Our work centers off farmers, because we're the mechanics... but farmers without money don't get anything that's broke fixed cause they can't afford it... so we're all in the same boat! In the middle of the simpson desert!!!!006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

We can't strike because we are supplying a perishable commodity that we can't turn on and off at will, so if we stop supplying we start tipping all the cost of production down the drain instead of just some of it. In this age of the "global village" unless you can get most of the worlds dairyfarmers to go on strike your wasting your time anyway.

The real problem is government subsidies, while governments are happy to put a floor in the price there will always be oversupply. When E.U. and U.S farmers are forced to produce their product without support and compete in the world market only then will we see anything like a fair return for our investment and effort.

Regards Bill

I was only going over my Wiltshire Stud figures this morning and trying to figure out why they haven't bred at the rate they should have, what impact neighbouring dogs will have on the 10 year population ($50,000.00) and why stud process seem to fluctuate up 100% when I need to buy some and down 95% when I need to sell some.

All in all I'm reasonably happy with the outcome, but it's a tough job pulling together all the variables that you can control as well as coping with those you can't.

At least I'm not producing wool. Saw the last rams shorn on the family's property a couple of years ago - they were making a loss every year, could make more money in motels etc.

Sorry to hear the dairy farmers have been screwed again. I remember this happening about 30 years ago, then Government action being taken and the guys were back buying new cars again and making the sort of income they deserve. Hope it comes to a head again soon.

"""

I reckon city folk would hardly notice. Go shopping at Coles or Woolies and try to shop aussie made...it's a real test!! even the "fresh" produce is either second grade or imported. """

pick up a packet of bacon with Aussie flag on the front and a note stating "made from local and imported ingredients" so what's local?

the bacon?

the plastic?

the salt?

bet it's not the bacon

Reminds me of a while ago when the companies bulldozed the ochards orange trees then imported the oranges from California. wonder just how much more of this type of thing is going on. water is another big head spin. Waiting on the highway at Proserpine ( nth qld) for a friend to get off the bus some time ago and a truck loaded loaded with water from Victoria goes past heading north. About 10 minutes later another truck passed heading south that was loaded with bottled water sourced from Cairns area. No wonder the stuff is dearer than fuel. just can't work this country out.