So..... why is flying so addictive for you?

Tomo

I've been thinking the last little while of why flying is so addictive for us pilots? 021_nod.gif.30c66a33e1ed960b5b5d3fc7b345b58d.gif

I still haven't completely worked out why it is for me yet, it just is! the View is definitely one of them, a Challenge maybe? every flight is just that little bit different.

Why is it for you?

Guest Brett Campany

Good question mate, I don't think I could put it in words. I could try, freedom and the ability to be able to do something I've always dreamed of.

The feeling when the wheels leave the ground is just "phew" and "whoa", that's probably the best way to describe it.

The personal challenge.

The unique skill.

The focus that goes into it and all the planning

Giving the brain a workout.

Top gun...Not me-the film.Had me salivating as 10 year old.Still does when I think too closely about it.Is that weird?

Looking at how small the world is from height and getting things into perspective.

The idea that someone someday will pay me to do it.At this stage i dont care how much.Ask me in five years and Il probably say something else..I kind of hope not

The feeling when you absolutely nail a landing...

And your CFI is watching:thumb_up:...

Or in the plane with you:thumb_up:

I really could go on all night!

For me it's the engineering, the techical details, the electronics, engines and basically the whole physics behind flying an aircraft and then to be able to top it all off with a mixture of applying skills and discipline to safely putting an aircraft up there in that blue stuff.

Once you're up there though, it's hard to explain that flying feeling. I love it. I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say that the feeling you get on late final is unique in that when everything comes together, you can turn flight back into driving again with a smooth transition (most of the time). :thumb_up:

Guest Pioneer200

Because its a good way to get away from the nagging wife and kids!!! LOL

Just kidding , family far more important :thumb_up::thumb_up:

Thats why we strive to make flying as safe as can be, because we have loving kids and spouses to come home to.

There was a case here in NZ last year when 2 men took off at night into low cloud after partying hard and consuming lots of alcohol. The 601 crashed at the end of the runway killing both. One of the mens partners was due to give birth in the coming months, how bloody stupid can you be, BOOZE has lots to answer for in this world ah!!

PS I believe 1 was the instructor and other was club captain or simular!:hittinghead::hittinghead:

For me it is the ultimate freedom as I can get up there and leave all the problems of the everyday life way below m.

I often wonder what the poor people are doing when I am aloft.

It also comes with some added bonuses

1. View is fantastic.

2. No traffic lights.

3. No giveway signs.

4. No idiots coming the other way in regularity.

5. No corners, they are an optional extra as if I want to make one i will.

6. No speed cameras

7. No speed limit.

8. No road rage.

9. No potholes other than the thermal type.

I guess there is plenty more but I just can't think of them at the moment.

Downsides

Hmmm

The danger of the drive to the airport.

Other than that bad weather and not being able to fly.

Cheers

Alf

What makes it so good is the ability to do it. To just get up there in the air, using all the training we have had, but still being able to relax and enjoy it. Then there is the extra joy of always trying to improve, by practicing new manouvres.

Lure of Flying.

Built models at an early age and read about the early flying developments. I was attracted to the engineering and design more than the flying. Got in a 172 at Albion Park when I was about 17 and just flew it, because it just did all the things that models do. NOT trying to say I'm clever either, as I have taken a lot of knowlegible aeromodellers up since, and they can all fly, pretty well. They understand what is happening to the aircraft which is a good start.

Did no more flying for a few years but I often went over to District Park , (Newcastle aerodrome)which was a very active aero club ( RNAC). and always had a lot of interesting aircraft, and I would just wander around and look at everything. I had been doing this since about age 13. My main interest was the workshops where all the repair and maintenance was done.

The Model scene went a bit sour.(personalities), and somehow or other I ended up in a Chipmunk working towards my private licence. Sort of just happened. Just made the decision and started. Never really thought about doing it professionally till a fair while later.

THE COST. Very High A whole weeks wages would only buy about an Hour and a Half Dual (Even though the government subsidised the flying for people under 30 by about 30 percent.) 49 years later I'm still doing it and my views have changed. There is an addictive aspect to " FLYING " I have found and it is to do with the actual act of flying the aeroplane, and making it respond. The challenge is always there, you can't take anything for granted. That is what I like about flying. Nev

I've been thinking the last little while of why flying is so addictive for us pilots? 021_nod.gif.30c66a33e1ed960b5b5d3fc7b345b58d.gifI still haven't completely worked out why it is for me yet, it just is! the View is definitely one of them, a Challenge maybe? every flight is just that little bit different.

Why is it for you?

Well in the air i don't have to listen to the wife nagging, or look at the list of chores she leaves on the fridge, i can look down and watch other blokes mowing the lawn, god i love flying :big_grin:

I've been thinking of why flying is so addictive for us pilots? 021_nod.gif.30c66a33e1ed960b5b5d3fc7b345b58d.gif Why is it for you?

It`s impossible for me to outline any one reason and I have too many to list them all here.

My first flight as PIC was in a Wheeler Scout,I got about 2 feet off the ground and it lasted all of 30 seconds but I felt like I had just flown to the moon,That was it, I had to fly.

Cheers,

Frank.002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

Its like asking a man to explain why having sex with a woman is fun. one can try to come up with various explanations but not truly capturing the wholesome experience. It just feels so damn good

Good day mate, and another thing flying last longer than sex.

Among other things already listed, i can do a vertical descent to 100', then just land without adding power or a wing droping, arrrrr the beauty of rotary flight.

:rotary:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Pop-top
Why is it for you?

like they say - "flying...drugs would have been cheaper"

But like any true addict - it's a feeling of empowerment, freedom, out of this world experience and as Amelia Earhart put it "for the fun of it" - except flying encourages good health!!

it's not something that pilots can easily describe to terra-firma folk or a fish...but once you realise you belong in the air, that's the only place you want to be.

and the people who can describe it best for you are the ones calling you an "acromaniac" or "aerosexual" and telling you that you are glowing and cant wipe the smile off your face for hours after after you have jumped down off the back of the wing 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif