Needed: A low-cost GPS

Al B

G'day all,

Recently my old car GPS met with an accident. The thing was rubbish anyway, so no loss. However I do need a new one.

The GPS will be in my car 99% of the time, however it needs to have an 'offroad' mode that is useful for situational awareness while flying. I can live without aviation maps showing airspace etc, but I'd still love a mode showing towns as spots, waypoints, and ideally an arrow showing the direction to the next waypoint. Basically I'd like a way to easily cross-check my position with a VNC/WAC.

Can anyone recommend me a new GPS?

Thanks in advance,

Al

Hi Turbo,

I've read the first and last few pages of that thread, but I'm not convinced it's what I'm after. I've just bought a rather expensive eBook reader, and had to spend a week of evenings messing around with various versions of firmware to make it work reliably. I'd rather not repeat the experience - I'm trying to avoid having to hack something too much.

I was hoping for a simple car GPS that happened to have an 'offroad' mode that was useful for flying.

cheers,

Al

Thanks Aus. Have you tried flying with it? I can't see any mention of an 'off-road' mode in the eBay add.

I love the seller Q/A at the bottom of the page

Q: Just a question in regards to the authenticity of the maps. Are these "licensed genuine” maps with serial number or trial versions with expiry. Regards

A: it is a cracked version, thanks. Tom

Hi Al

While I absolutely hate my Navman S300T (last years model ) It and I assume others have a walk mode that allows you to go anywhere without following roads, so have a look in store for that type of feature.

I have tried mine once so far and it gives you a zoomable moving map as you fly over. I didn't try a route but I know if you enter one it asks if you are sure you want to walk there as it is a long way :)

You do get speed and direction etc so there may be many model / brand options for your needs.

Also Garmin is about to release there Aero range, looks basically like a Nouve ( I think) but is both fully road and air capable, and much cheaper than the 495.

Hi Al B,

I have just recently purchased a Garmin 260W nivi and I use it in the 'off road' mode and it works a treat in the air, and it a very easy system to use and programme.

So if I may suggest -- you should go to your nearest Garmin retailer and have a look at it working before you commit to purchase.

It has a 4.5 inch screen and I find a great aid to navigation, it’s not my prime source, as I only use it for back-up, and it does operate for about 2 to 3.5 hours on its own battery.

I hope you find this info helpful.

Safe flying,

Pete.

Guest basscheffers

I think you will be hard pressed to find a cheap car GPS that you can also switch to knots, nm, change between magnetic and true display, etc. Let alone program it with airfields and VFR waypoints.

I use a Garmin eTrex Legend, which can be had for around $200 and less if you import. I load up VRF waypoints and airfields. The naviagtion screen can be customized and mine shows GS, ETE, ETA, NM to go and of course a compas rose; point the needle up and you get to where you want to go!

The Garmin World Map I use has enough small towns, burbs and roads, but I never use it. That's what the VTC and WACs are for.

Very usable and pretty cheap; probably much nicer than fidling with a car GPS!

That's completely wrong Bass - and I mean that in the nicest possible way.

You can get all that and more in a car GPS, you just don't use the car software (unless you're in the car).

I'm about to build another one for Turboplanner. 7" screen, usual car software, but also change to air software with everything you mention available on the one screen. Loaded with WACs, VNCs and VTCs, waypoints, airfield data if you want - and all this for under $400.

If you fly VFR and therefore don't need terrain awareness (because you can see 5km min), these are all you need IMHO.

I'm still using my car GPS (Mio Moov) with OziExplorerCE for the air, and I love it. I used it's predecessor for 3 years until it stopped recharging.

They're so cheap, you can have a spare in the flight bag and still be $1,000's ahead of the all-singing aviation models.

I only mention this because I think everyone should be aware how cheap they can be and still do everything we need.

Cheers,

Ross

Guest basscheffers

I know, Slarti. But Al indicated that's not something he's interested in doing; he just wants something that works. And I don't think a stock car GPS will do it!

Slarti, do you know of any projects to parse the DAH into a usable format so you don't need to bother with scanned VTCs, etc? The software could then also be aware of the location of CTA and warn you. That would be awesome. (and shame on Airservices for not making it available)

Ah - I see.

All the same I think Al should reconsider. I can set it up so that if you put the SD card in, it boots into air mode. If you take it out, it's stock standard car mode. Couldn't be easier.

Plus I thought it was worth mentioning clearly for other readers.

No idea about any projects to parse the DAH though.

I love having the VNCs and VTCs on screen and avoiding CTA that way. With this method, the same chart is in my lap as on the screen, making it easy to get a positive fix and to resume own navigation when it breaks.

I did massage the airfield list Maptrax sent with the last set of maps I bought into a format for import as waypoints. That worked well.

Parsing the DAH data

Hi Bas,

It was terrific to finally meet you down at Hamilton on the 14th, I was with PeterW in the Texan. It's still got me beat how you got in that green water in the pool at Asses Ears :yuk: but I digress...

I searched high and low for a utility that would parse the DAH data from AirServices, couldn't find anything, so I ended up writing my own. I have simple shell scripts that use pdftotext to convert the PDF files to readable text, then a PERL script parses each text file to convert to a usable format.

At the moment I'm converting to the OpenAir format (see Worldwide Soaring Turnpoint Exchange: Special Use Airspace for Australia) so I could compare my output files with the SoaringWeb files to make sure mine were on the right track.

Then you can use something like oa2gm (oa2gm - airspace maps translator) to convert from OpenAir to MP format, which is then the input for the mighty cGPSmapper (cGPSmapper - Your Tool For Creating Maps) program to convert to a format that can be loaded into your Garmin GPS or into MapSource.

It's a hard slog 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif but very doable. More than happy to send you the PERL code if you like although it's still a work-in-progress.

Cheers,

Tony

Guest basscheffers

Hey Tony,

That's awesome! Swamped at the moment with moving house and some work projects, but want to "do something" with this stuff at some point.

I'm sure we'll be in touch about this again at some point! :)

Bas.

A car GPS that does off Road is the Hema one. Basically a Navman with Oziexplorer built into the system.

I would imagine you could load your maps in for flying, easily. Bit expensive I think, so...

I did a Slarti with my Mio. I run it off an SD card so no corruption of the primary Mio software/system. Great as an off road GPS & if I purchased some VNCs, WACs it would work a treat - just got to get flying again to try it.049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

H

• 3 weeks later...

I use a Garmin Nuvi 255w. It has off road mode and a reasonably large screen. I can put in a destination and waypoints and then see my track against the planned track as I fly. Nothing fancy, speed is in kilometers but no big deal. It works a treat and was about $350 then, probably heaps cheaper now.