Christmas presents for the budding pilot

Guest Gomer

Christmas is fast approaching, and so the old "Waddaya want for Christmas" starts to be trotted out. I've searched the forums for suggestions, but I can't find any old thread with the info I need. So...

If you were suggesting presents for a soon-to-be pilot, what would they be? Let's start by ruling out the really nice ones, like (a) a plane, (b) somewhere to land it and © somewhere to store it! :rotary:

I'm looking for two suggestions from each of you.

1. Something that I'm going to have to buy over the next 6 months anyhow, and

2. Something that I probably wouldn't purchase, but would be really nice to have!

Let the wish list begin! :drums:

For category 2

ASA CX-2 Pathfinder Electronic Flight Computer ASA-CX-2 ASA's CX-2 Electronic Pathfinder Flight Computer can calculate true airspeed, ground speed, Mach number, altitudes, fuel, headings and courses, time/speed/distance, winds, and weight and balance.

I've also tried for flight hours, but my parents want something they can wrap

They can wrap a big wad of $100 bills! :-)

A few options include:

1. Headset

2. GPS (I have a HP 312 with Oziexplorer and PocketFMS - the screen is a bit dmi in a sportstar though)

3. A PLB (espcially if you can't/dont want to borrow one and want to do some decent cross countries, not something you can "play with" though unless you want to time the rescue services:-))

Maybe all the above with a nice flight bag to carry it all :-)

Steven.

I was going to do the Headset one but gave in and got one a couple of months ago (alas)

If I was going to be at the stage of just starting navs at Christmas it would be perfect so then I could ask for all the stuff I'd need for that...unfortunately I have a feeling I'm going to be starting navs right between Christmas and my birthday and too far away from either to claim some of the stuff as presents 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

unless you want to time the rescue services:-))

I'll set it off and they'll come to my house and find me sitting there with the PLB in one hand and a stopwatch in the other :big_grin: Doesn't sound like a bad way to spend an afternoon really....

Ok,

(Ian don't hit me for "advertising" here.)

A timer/stopwatch.

Local pilot shops sell ones but they didn't do what I wanted. They CLAIM to be 4 timers which count up/down. Well, kinda.

For a very small price plus nominal postage you can get a 4 timer (and clock) timer which has 4 timers which can count up OR down depending on what YOU want them to do at each time.

www.bacto.com.au search timers and take the first suggestion.

Code: TIMJUM4

It asks you to "log in" but that is nothing to worry about.

You can give them a call and they do it over the phone too if you want.

Guest mike_perth

Darky - Tell yr folks to get a gift certificate and a really big box fill said box with folded sheets of news paper and insert the gift certificate in between one of the sheets - if nothing else its entertaining watching the person umwrap 2 or 3 days worth of newspaper looking for the gift certificate - and Yes I have used this on several occasions - once with 3 house bricks in the bottom to give it the illusion of being really heavy!!

Mike

Darky - Tell yr folks to get a gift certificate and a really big box fill said box with folded sheets of news paper and insert the gift certificate in between one of the sheets - if nothing else its entertaining watching the person umwrap 2 or 3 days worth of newspaper looking for the gift certificate - and Yes I have used this on several occasions - once with 3 house bricks in the bottom to give it the illusion of being really heavy!!Mike

You'd get on well with my brother, he does lots of presents involving things like bricks and boxes wrapped in metal. Once he rigged up one so when it was opened a rubber glove inflated with a big bang and scared the crap out of the person opening it (not me thankfully)...

I'm wondering about a flight bag but I have absolutely NO idea how big I'd need it to be (how much stuff d'u need to carry for navs?) and what type to get etc

Guest Maj Millard

One of the nicest gifts I ever got was a white silk scarf with the date of my first solo hand sewn in black, on one corner. And it was from a mates wife who just watched from afar. I thought it was real personal, but now I'm thinking she did it for everybody. I have it somewhere, really must pull it out...................................................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest drizzt1978
Check this web-site out guys & girls:High Quality Furniture Using Vintage Airplane Parts | Motoart

Regards, Decca.

Did any of you ever see the Tv series on this show, It was about 7 or 8 episodes from memory. All about when they first got going, it was called WING NUTS, unfortunately one of there crew died at some point, after the show was filmed. Interesting show that used to be on Foxtel. Some of the aviation graveyards they went to was amazing.

Highly recommend a pilots bag. I received one for my birthday and love it.

1. Hand Held radio (cause then I can just listen and wish I was up there when I am down here)

2. Mug - Hard to find a good aviation mug and someone at work here just broke my star wars mug

3. Tecnam - probably not going to happen unfortunately.

[/url] [/size] [/center]

ASA CX-2 Pathfinder Electronic Flight Computer ASA-CX-2 ASA's CX-2 Electronic Pathfinder Flight Computer can calculate true airspeed, ground speed, Mach number, altitudes, fuel, headings and courses, time/speed/distance, winds, and weight and balance.

Darky, this is the thing for you - it can calculate the Mach number when U R driving your Soarer.