Phraseology for "passing through"

Guest burbles1

Guest burbles1

I'm wondering what the standard phraseology is for when you're passing over an airfield. I've usually reported inbound at 10nm, then as I'm overhead I'll say "The Oaks traffic, Jabiru 1234 overhead at 2500, tracking for Picton, The Oaks". Is it correct to say "tracking", or should it be just "The Oaks traffic, Jabiru 1234 overhead at 2500, for Picton, The Oaks"? I also had one situation where I had to abandon a practice forced landing due to traffic, so I stated "tracking 3 miles southwest". What's right?

In that situation tracking is good, when requesting a clearance through airspace you could say transit.

My thought though is to be very careful making a call on The Oaks frequency tracking overhead at 2500. The circuit traffic would be well below you - however The Oaks is an inbound point to Camden, and due to the terrain and the underlying airstrip, many aircraft for Camden call inbound at the Oaks at 2500' on the Camden tower frequency.

So at the Oaks at 2500', your threat is more likely to be traffic for Camden, and you won't hear them if you are on The Oaks frequency.

Food for thought.

I wouldn't use "inbound" in the first call because you're not really inbound. So at 10nm, a call like "The Oaks traffic, Jabiru 1234 one zero miles north west at two thousand five hundred, tracking overhead for Picton, The Oaks". We get a lot of chopper traffic overflying, and that's basically the call they use.

But Mazda makes a good point re Camden ...

Guest burbles1
I wouldn't use "inbound" in the first call because you're not really inbound. So at 10nm, a call like "The Oaks traffic, Jabiru 1234 one zero miles north west at two thousand five hundred, tracking overhead for Picton, The Oaks".

Yes, was also wondering about whether to include my tracking destination at the "inbound" call - because it's about five minutes before I get to The Oaks, I've thought it better to state "tracking" destination when I'm actually overhead. But I guess the sooner you state your intentions, the better that other traffic is alerted.

Thanks for the reminder Motzart. "TURNS base" is specifically piointed out as incorrect.

I got my phrase too....these guys are "Would be hot shot pilots" what a ripper!!!

Now to a little problem raised by my read (re-read) through the module. They say NOT to use the phrase "tracking for Holbrook" as this is usually used for VOR radials or magnetic tracks. Whats the problem and what then is the correct phrese for ".....10 miles west, tracking for holbrook ....."??

I hear and use this phraseology, what is correct. should I be saying "......10 miles west, for Holbrook....." I have heard this but thought it incomplete.

Any CFIs about??? Mazda???

Guest Maj Millard

I don't get too hooked up with 'exact' phaseolgy. Just say what you need to say, make it clear and make it short, and to the point. If there's something they didn't get, it's up to them to come back and ask. How about: Oaks Traffic, Lightwing 370, 10 south Oaks airport, tracking overhead for Holbrook at 2000, oaks traffic".......................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Maj Millard

The 'best or correct' calls are the short precise one's, with all the required info that you can actually understand. I was under the understanding we were working with Feet altitude in this country, which is why our altimeters are still reading in feet ?? Why confuse the issue......024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

A 10 n.mile call with mag. track and altitude. If you are overflying give an eta over the top . Over the top confirm altitude and reafirm your next track. waypoint (or landing field,whatever ) and if you are not positionally sure of other aircraft, call them up and ask them!! Ears can draw a picture in 3D . It is not a crime to ask a question and avoid a potential middair!! FWIW. KISS principal!

Guest Maj Millard

Cameron 93, If some people use meters, some people are terribly wrong, and they need to correct their error. ERSA relates to feet AMSL, all our maps, and I qoute from the bottom LH corner on the VTC "ELEVATIONS AND ALTITUDES ARE SHOWN IN FEET AMSL" If you tried that rubbish in say the states, you would be jumped on so hard by everyboby, you wouldn't be able to walk straight for a week !! .........................................................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

The idea of standard phraseology is to keep broadcasts short. I am sure that I have read that the words. feet and time are redundant and should not be used.

That is your call should go something like ......inbound, 3000, estimate circuit at 30....

3000 FEET is utterly superfluous as is TIME 30

Inbound:

"Dalby traffic, Jabiru xxx 10 miles south west at 3500, inbound for over head airfield, time xx, Dalby"

Or

"Dalby traffic, Jabiru xxx 10 miles south west at 3500, inbound for circuit, time xx, Dalby"

Joining circuit:

"Dalby traffic, Jabiru xxx joining downwind 13, Dalby"

Fixing a mild stuff up:

"Dalby traffic, Jabiru xxx turning base 31, 'correction' 13, Dalby"

(In my opinion I reckon its unnecessary to say 'runway' xx in any transmission. People know you'll be using a runway, they just want to know which one)

Transiting:

Did one recently past a gliding field, something to this effect,

"McCaffery traffic, Drifter xxx 10 miles North west, at 3500, will be passing 5 miles north of airfield for Oakey, Traffic McCaffery"

Saying little things like "wun zero" and "three thousand five hundred", makes it sound a million times more professional than "ten" and "thirty five hundred"

Turbo, you beat me to the send button.

Tomo, you are pretty right with your post.

The RAAus module that I have just re read indicates NOT to say ".....at 3500..." "at" is reserved for time. And you don't say "....at time xx..." it is just "...at xx..."

So your call would go like this. "Dalby traffic, Jabiru xxx 10 miles south west, 3500, inbound, estimate over head AT xx, Dalby"

I am glad that you seek to reach and maintain a professional approach and standards.

Cheers, Qwerty

The RAAus module that I have just re read indicates NOT to say ".....at 3500..." "at" is reserved for time. And you don't say "....at time xx..." it is just "...at xx..."So your call would go like this. "Dalby traffic, Jabiru xxx 10 miles south west, 3500, inbound, estimate over head AT xx, Dalby"

I am glad that you seek to reach and maintain a professional approach and standards.

I guess we can't argue with that can we.... get rid of the 'time' (though it has a better ring to it saying time xx than AT xx! Oh well) and change the AT's around. May as well learn the correct way now, so when it changes, I'm all up the creek (with half a paddle).

Thanks Qwerty, I've spent enough money on learning it, so I may as well try an sound like I'm not a street kid.

Guest Maj Millard

Hey if you really want to impress,just say inbound/outbound on the 132 radial or whatever, and then everybody will be confused !!

For what it is worth:

Oaks traffic, Jabiru 1234, 10 miles south-east (point name if applicable) tracking oaks, hoxton. Traffic Oaks.

Then when nearer another call - if needed.

On inbound to the destination:

Hoxton park traffic, jabiru 1234, overhead campbelltown, 2500 inbound. Hoxton park.

Hoxton park traffic, jabiru 1234 2 miles south 2500 DESCENDING. Hoxton park.

Then the usual joining cross wind, etc.

006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif. lol

Some guys at Nowra love saying that garbage. There is a GA flying "club" at albatross. There transmissions are always third person, and they get off on stuff like " All station in the nowra ctaf R. Hotel Victor India, a cessna 152 eighteen miles north east,referance DME, inbound to the intitial approach fix to intercept ILS yanky runway 21 nowra."

What sence can my student make of that on first area solo?? How about this,

"Nowra traffic. Hotel victor India, cessna 152, one eight miles north east, three thousand five hundred, inbound nowra." How much easier is that to understand?

Radio Talk.

Simplest and clearest is best. Work out what info you want to convey and pass it on. The worst thing I encounter is when people give their wrong poaition when near the circuit. The usual error is to give a wrong direction that they are coming from. You then spend precious time looking for him (her) where they are not, or giving wrong runway names. The runway should be the first two numerals on your compas heading when you are lined up. All this is about orientating yourself and is probably under emphasised during training. You don't have to spend money practicing it. You can do it with a map on a table, and just spend a bit of time. Nev

Yes Nev, couldn't agree more. Getting your head around whats happening before you get there is a real key minimising mistakes like that I think. Another common mistake is to rush into the cct. If you are at a good height above cct traffic, then theres no need to descend to cct height until your sure of the flow of things, and a slot in the traffic. Stay up, orientate yourself to the universe, then descend and join.

My 2 cents.

Ps, i really don't like the 45 degree method of joining a busy circuit. Overflying and joining midfield crosswind is much safer and practical I reckon.

Guess thats my 4 cents.

All sounds pretty good.

What you can do if you feel so inclined and for a bit more info is give the track in magnetic as well as some people in the area may not know the place you are headed to.

i.e

"Australia traffic.tecnam xxxx is one zero N miles to the south at 3500 and will overfly the field for America tracking 360.estimate Australia at one fife.."(then report overhead the field as well)

It gives everyone in the area a really good picture of what you are up to even if they have no idea of your destination.

Radio calls are one of those things that can be a bit nerve-racking to start with, but all you really need to do is make it really clear where you are and what your intentions are.The good thing about radio is that it can be practiced as much as you like on the ground, in the car, walking etc..